“A very good place to stay in Portsmouth but stay on the upper floors”

Wrens Nest Village Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
“A very good place to stay in Portsmouth but stay on the upper floors”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Wren's Nest was a very nice, quaint place to stay in Portsmouth. We opted for a regular King-sized-bed suite as we were staying only one night. I had been debating between various hotels but when I came upon the site http://bedbugregistry.com/ the other hotels went out the window. The room was a great size and very clean and comfortable, with neat wooden beams across the ceiling. I was surprised that there was no phone book or menus in the room (first time I ever ran into that in a hotel), but was able to get one at the front desk as we always order in on vacation. It was unfortunate that the pool was only open between 4 and 9 p.m., as we got in at 9:15 and would be leaving at 8 a.m. and part of what had attracted me to the Wren's Nest was the indoor heated pool with waterfall. I understand keeping costs down for the off season but it was a disappointment. I was surprised also that there we no kind of vending machines – hardly a big deal but my husband has a habit of wanting a quick snack as soon as we stop before dinner is delivered.
The next morning I learned that the ceiling was thin as my husband complained that the people staying above us were stomping around their room from midnight to 3 a.m. preventing him from sleeping which made for a difficult morning. I sleep like a log no matter what (I've slept through a chainsaw going off 20 feet from me). So I would suggest requesting a second-floor room if possible.
All in all it was a good place to stay and next time I’m in Portsmouth I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay on upper floor if possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank littlaitaly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Braintree, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Wanted to have a mini vacation get-a-way w/ a trip also to Watercountry. When searching online for places to stay near the water park, we came across this comfy suite! The prices averaged around the same as the Comfort Inn, BUT Wren's Nest offered jacuzzi suites!!! Why not get-a-way and be relaxed. Great service, helpful and friendly. Nice little town to stay in. Near the beach, park and resturants. VERY SURPRISED for what we were expecting! Recommending to friends and will be returning inthe future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The new owners are trying hard to turn this place's reputation around. We had a Queen/twin room on the first floor and even the heavy footed upstairs neighbors weren't a problem. Price a little more than I's like to pay for a motel room, but good compared to what else I found online. They at least have a website.

Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My wife and I wanted a weekend away in the Portsmouth area. We were a little reluctant about the Wren's Nest because of the mixed reviews, but decided that we would try it anyway, because the place seemed to have everything we were looking for.
All I can say is that I'm very glad we decided to give the place a try and decide for ourselves.
We stayed in the "Harley" suite. Although the theme was a little on the weak side as compared to other theme hotels we've stayed at before, the effort was made to decorate it as such. The room was very clean, the jacuzzi tub was nice, and the balcony was great! It was a very nice stay, peaceful and quiet. Just what we needed on our little getaway.
The only disappointment to speak of was that the on-site restaurant is no longer there. This wasn't so bad, though, as there were plenty of great area restaurants to choose from, and our innkeepers were more than happy to make recommendations. We will return the next time we decide to take a trip to the area!
I think the negative reviews are very unwarranted. I would recommend that you judge this place for yourself.

1 Thank bulldog_LC
North Carolina
Reviewed 25 July 2011

It still has not gotten better, and the previous reviews are correct. Friendly greeting, pretty grounds, but downhill from there. We needed a king sized bed so they put us in the single rooms. Room was dark, dank, and the carpet had seen its better days. Bathroom was small, with plumbing: faucets mounted the wrong way (open is close!), drain barely working, shower drips instead of sprays, and drain does not work. Air conditioner noisy the whole night.

Pool was open, but the chlorine so heavy I thought my suit was going to turn white. Yep, the whirlpool was open but tepid (guy did not want to make it more than 100 degrees but it was barely 80, and no whirl in the pool.

No breakfast in the morning, so rule out the "breakfast" in the advertising. Got o "Betty's down the road.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrPickwick
NewEnglanderHotels1, Manager at Wrens Nest Village Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Guest,
We do appreciate the feedback and are very eager to make sure all of our guests are 100% satisfied and have a very pleasant stay with us. Regarding your concerns, we are the new owners and will be looking into these issue to ensure that everything is in order. For breakfast, it used to be in the restaurant, which has been vacated recently, so while we get it back up and running, we do have continental breakfast in our lobby area. Our apologies, and please do give us another try if you are ever in the area.

Sincereley, Jon Hansen - Manager

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels