Wrens Nest Village Inn
US$163
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
US$136
Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$140
Agoda.com
The Hotel Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
US$157
All reviewsroom was cleanper nightsuitefireplacemicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Please note that this review has been updated/edited based on the Inn contacting me and resolving some of my concerns, specifically by crediting me a portion of the cost to make up for not meeting my expectations. My wife and I were looking for a quick getaway and found this place based on an internet search. Saw a mix of the negative and positive reviews and decided to risk it. The overall place and room (Ralph Lauren room) were acceptable at the reduced rate we ultimately paid. The room decor was not what is pictured on the web site and therefore not what we were expecting. Specifically, the room did not have a four-poster bed, and the rug, couch and bed cover were not what was pictured and were not as fancy. We went so far as to call the desk after we checked in to verify we were in the right room. I did not ask for a a refund or substantial discount right then, but they did give me one later. Other specific issues were that the wine glassed provided were dirty and had solidified dried wine in them from previous use such that I couldn't simply rinse and use them. One of the plastic control knobs in the jacuzzi was broken off, but the jacuzzi was otherwise very clean and worked well. The fireplace is the heat for the room, controlled by a thermostat, so to keep it going for ambiance, the room may end up uncomfortably warm as it did for us.

Room Tip: Verify room is as pictured on Web site
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JJJD17
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Wrens Nest is a little on the expensive side for a jacuzzi room but they are so cute and quaint and romantic. I have stayed here on 2 sepret occasions the 1st occassion we stayed in the small french room and the second we stayed in the south west room. They even have these cute books that all the past guests write in read them they are great.

Room Tip: A Jacuzzi room is worth the money
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2012

stayed here over columbus day weekend. had another reservation through expedia but it was overbooked so they sent us the wren's nest. we expected it would be subpar based on reviews but when we arrived we were given a suite in a duplex near the rear of the rather large property. it felt very private and convenient with our own driveway. the room was apleasant surprise with a loft hot tub and very nice walk in showre. the carpeting was dated and it didn't have a luxurious feel, but it was clean, well laid out and very comfortable.

Room Tip: this was probaly a honeyroom suite or the like. the front builing looks more like a motel. opt for a suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed there last week believing it was a bed and breakfast. The room had no character and resembled an old low class Motel 5 room. Noisy AC. No way to darken the room. People walking upstairs for ever sounded like they were in our room... Finally when my wife asked about breakfast, she was advised that it was from 9 to 10. Coffee and fruits, and that if we wanted a breakfast, we could buy one at their restaurant starting at 7:00... Talk about a bed and breakfast... Also we paid in excess of $140.00 for this disaster.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank PatrickBarbary
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Worst hotel I ever stayed at. I grew up in Boston and wanted to show my world-traveled husband New England. Was so disappointed that we stopped here. The noise from the air conditioner was too much and the noise from floor above was unbearable. We paid and left w/in an hour. Never ever stayed at a cheaper-quality hotel. Place smelled of cigarette smoke and all you got was a cheap wrapped piece of soap to wash. OMG, not even close to a Days Inn.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple