“St;ay Away”

Wrens Nest Village Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This place is NOTHING like it appears on website; dirty, smelly, run down, and just plain awful. Rooms are nasty, but you can find a prize upon check in like we did, an old baby pacifier was waiting for us when entering the room. Indoor pool closed for the winter, go figure. It is a scary place, with areas boarded up, appear to have "guests" staying for long term over the winter months, and the service and hospitality was not existent. Let me sum it up, when told that the writer was going to enter a bad review when they refused our intent to check out and threatened to still process our credit card, she responded about the bad review, "that is what everyone says." Do I need to write any more. Only gave a "terrible" because that is the lowest, but it is giving this hotel way too much honor at terrible. Stay away

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Frank M

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Have stayed here before and went back a few days ago. The room was okay but is in need of some touch up. Some of tthe baseboards were stained. On the other hand the room was clean, just not what i expected. They used to give you breakfast for two for one morning, but now only coffee, cocoa, tea or juice. The pool areahad to be opened as they locked it because no one was there. It says it is a heated pool,but you could have fooled me. The hot tub wasn't even that hot. The person behind the desk was really great, but that was about the best part of the trip. I'm sorry to say that this was my last time there as I will not return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The pictures on the website are incredibly misleading. There was nothing rustic or charming about our room. The outside was everything you see on the website, but the room itself was a hot mess. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was the same room that someone posted pictures of here. And there was black mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. We could smell it when we walked in. Granted, it wasn't the dirtiest room I've ever stayed in, but it could have been cleaner. (At least I can say the sheets were very clean and the carpet looked new.)

The worst part is that the walls are paper thin. Two men started stomping around in the room above us at 3am, and they never once stopped and sat down. They were just pacing over our bed, and the whole ceiling was creaking loudly under their feet. At 4:15 we decided to give up and hit the road. We slept a total of two and a half hours. Sounds like other people had the same experience.

This is the worst motel experience I've ever had. Just the night before I stayed at a really nice inn and it was exactly what was advertised and we paid $50 less. I would recommend people avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't get a downstairs room, for the love of god. And if you're upstairs, don't walk aro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amber L
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The grounds of this facility are nicely kept with pretty flowers and a nice feel. Grass for kids to run around and well kept. The staff were friendly and helpful. They are located near Rye and near Portsmouth, making it a good spot if you are going to spend time in both beautiful towns. Our room, however, was not very clean and I wonder if it was cleaned at all after the last visitor. There was hair in the tub, as well as a ring and some dirt in it from the previous guest. Since we didn't spend much time in our room we didn't make a fuss but I would recommend double checking. While we had one of the least expensive rooms I would still expect it to be cleaner. The room also had a very strong and very odd cat urine odor that got better with the a/c on and a window open which also helped to keep the room quieter for sleeping.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bagoody
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The title says it all. We were there for a single night. The room was old. The bed was cheap and rigid. The furnishings were a hodgepodge. For half the price it would have been fine. The only redeeming trait was the nice owner.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidgraywright
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We were looking for a quick place to stay and do a revisit of Portsmouth and BG's Boathouse
for something ot eat. Steve found this on-line and based on my knowing someone who had stayed here he booked it for one night. I would not spend $100 for a king( which is what is on their website!) nor for what we paid by booking.com (84 plus%). The only positive thing I have to say is the bed was extremely comfortable. I had to go to work in the morning a never took a shower and neither did Steve because the water pressure didnt even clean the toothpaste out of the sink. Our bed also didnt have a blanket on it!! And I hate sleeping in a heated room but ther was no option at 10:30pm.. The towels in the bathroom were for one person and the soap was a joke. It t may be an older property but it has/had a good reputation and I think that has gone down the " T"
Should have spent the $$$ and gone to Comfort Inn or Fairfield! Lesson learned

Room Tip: ther are several buildings but you have no idea which one to ask for!!! And there is no info in the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveler11122
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed here on March 2 nd, 2013 and it was a terrible experience. We stayed in the Isle of Shoals suite. There were cob webs in the corners, including right above the bed. Just what you want falling on your face when you're sleeping. The room had a weird smell and could have been a lot cleaner. The bedding was gross, old, and also smelled odd. We had no hot water for 12 of our 18 hour visit, we ended up taking a cold shower so we could make the check out time. We obviously went in part to enjoy the Jacuzzi and couldn't. The owner offered me 10% off for the inconvenience of not having water. Seriously? I couldn't believe the insult. He did end up saying he'd take $50 off in the end. (Still no credit on my account at this point) We ended up with a charge of $283.40. This place is a total joke. Avoid at all costs!! There are plenty of better places that won't rip you off.

Room Tip: It's terrible! Don't stay here at all!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple