“Coffee good but pastries not authentic”
Review of Cafe Vonsolln

Cafe Vonsolln
Ranked #68 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: German
Vermont
“Coffee good but pastries not authentic”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family came here with expectations of great German coffee and pastries.The coffee is good but the apple streudel was like Hannaford's:not fresh apples and not streudle dough.I saw the Sacher torte and it looked like chocolate cake,not what I had at the Hotel Sacher in Vienna or other konditorei(pastry shops)in Germany or Austria.Would I come back?Probably not.

• Visited July 2013

Altus, Oklahoma
“German Cafe!”
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

In Portsmouth for a few days and discovered this fantastic little slice of Germany. Having lived in Germany for several years, my family and I miss these little gems. Grab a breakfast sandwich or pastry and a coffee, sit out side and watch the world go by. Great little place, I'll miss it!

• Visited July 2013
Anniston, Alabama
“Good customer service”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I showed up in this coffee house with a bag of beans purchased in another state that had not been ground. The staff was willing to grind the beans for me at no charge. Hopefully this did not get her into trouble, but the gesture was much appreciated.

The coffee here was strong and a bit bitter for my tastes. There were several coffee blends in the store to pick from to drink or for purchase.

This is a store/cafe that takes pride in what they do.

• Visited August 2012
Skowhegan
“Small but very good”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I came across this doing an internet search and we decided to try it. They have German pastries and they are really good.They also roast their own coffee and it is excellent. Highly recommend trying them out.

• Visited May 2013
Gorham, New Hampshire
“Not as good as I hoped”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Having been to Germany several times, I crave the pastries which they are known for. I was really disappointed in our visit. Three of us ordered different items to share. One was the fruit strudel which was so overly sweet, it was a bit difficult to finish (and I love sweets!). We also had the lemon strudel which wasn't too bad and the other was a cream/pudding cake which was the best out of the three. Each item was $4.50 which I thought was quite pricy for what you got. Two cups of the house blend was also purchased which wasn't bad. One person with us was from Germany and she said it was good but not great and too overpriced.

• Visited May 2013