“This place is the worst !!”
Review of Motel 6 Portsmouth

Motel 6 Portsmouth
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Severna Park
“This place is the worst !!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I live in MD and have property in Northern ME, so we stay in NH twice a year, every year on our way up to the property. We have stayed in this hotel about 10 years ago and it was not bad. When we arrived, the front desk advised us the rooms were not ready and they could not tell us what check in time was. When we did get a room, it smelled of mildew and wet carpets. The hotel advertised expanded cable channels, they had the worst selection of channels I have ever seen. During the night we realized the room was also infested with fleas. The towels were like cheesecloth and they do not provide travel shampoo, a hair dryer, or even internet (you have to pay extra for that). Overpriced flea bag, poorly run dump !!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Helen W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I understand the concept of you pay what you get for. But it's a new day in age and their are some standards when it comes to paying to sleep somewhere. The facility/room should be clean. We had a non-smoking room, which was filled with smoke smell. My husband is highly allergic to that and he had a horrible night( maybe invest in two separate air units?) I know no one uses the actual bed cover, but come on the stains and smell on it isn't necessary. The staff I guess is what you would expect for the place, unprofessional. The bathroom was clean, but you could see old stains. We will not be recommending this place or staying here again. I'm sure their is other places in the area where you can just lay your head down for a similar price.

Room Tip: A/C is noisy, all rooms smell like smoke, disinfect your room because I saw the cleaning staff and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allie S
Windsor, ME
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed 1 night at this hotel just to get us closer to Boston (going to a concert and wanted to split the drive in half). We chose this hotel for the rate on Hotels.com, it had mixed reviews. Upon arrival, the reservation i had printed out went up $10, so off to a shady start. They charge for the wifi connection $2.99, which isn't much but still... who charges for Wifi anymore? You can get it free at McDonalds, but not at your hotel? The speed is sloooowwww, and you have to continue to enter the password every time you exit an internet window. Ice machine was broken. The rooms are small, & had no towels when we got there, no hair dryer, no iron, no ironing board. For the price to stay here, if you do, and don't like cigarette smoking or the smell, don't stay on the third floor or above. They designed this hotel so smoking is allowed on the third floor and everything on the fourth smells like it... smoke rises right?... so the smell will as well. We aren't high maintenance folks AT ALL, and don't require much, but the next time we stay in Portsmouth, ill pay the extra $20 to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: They designed this hotel so smoking is allowed on the third floor and everything on the fourth smell...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scheids10
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Once located, it seems like a restful place, off the beaten path.

The reservation was handled perfectly (a rarity among budget hotels), the staff personable and customer focused, the hallways clean, the elevator needs new flooring, the room was nice, clean, quiet, comfortable. My only complaint was a family gathering that kept their room doors open all night and kept playng cards and reminising late into the night and early in mornings. Greatfully, they were around the bend and down the hall so I only heard them went hunting for a working ice maker.

There is a shopping center across the road (a bit of a hike), and traffic islands make driving a bit of challenge for newcomers. Which causes a problem. The main parking area for the hotel is on an access road that is used by locals (it doesn't show up on GPS) to short-cut to another shopping area and to cut out a few lights on the main road. SO, even though it seems like the hotel is out of the way, in the evenings, there is a lot of FAST moving traffic flying behind the parked cars. Be careful when leaving your parking spot when going out for dinner. It is not a short cut for morning traffic, so no problem there.

Room Tip: Upper floor back for quiet, but you then have a hike if carrying a load of luggage.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Use discount code "CP569446" and get an additional 10% off like I did, making a good deal a great deal. Unlike most Motel 6s, this one had a huge selection of television channels available. The room was recently remodeled. I especially like the new oversized tub with a seat built into it. The bed was very comfortable, room was quiet, AC worked well. Staff very friendly, helpful and professional. Great location. Mall across the street. Grocery store in walking distance. There might be some nicer hotels, but for the price it's an awesome value.

Room Tip: I had a room on the west side, so the room was really bright.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank chewigo
Scotland, Maryland
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We have stayed here many times and it has always been okay. One time there was a noisy room above us at night and the desk clerk worked very hard to quiet them down. Still it was a rough night for sleep. But this last visit was just awful. The front desk people are really very nice and helpful, but they can't check the condition of every room. My room had one bed with bloody sheets, pillows and pillow cases, and hair in the bed. Darn. And in the bathroom what looked like dried feces. Just terrible. The front desk said he will refund our payment for that night. And thats nice. Now I'll need to check the beds before I unpack next time I check in? Why can't people just do,their jobs and provide customers with a clean room. Does corporate go around and check out these things? How would they feel sleeping in one of their own rooms? Huh?

Room Tip: Check out the room before committing to unpacking.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bunty126
Waterville, Maine
Reviewed 6 March 2013

As I always mention in my reviews, I am 100% honest with what I write. Motel 6 is Motel 6. It is cheap and there always seems to be a room available. Check in was simple. We were actually able to check in around 10:30 in the morning. The room was your basic two double beds. The room was clean and the bathroom was as well. Friday night went well, no problems what so ever. We had a room on the first floor, right near the parking lot. It was very noisy outside. You could hear people in the hallways, etc. This was not a big deal to me. The 2nd night after returning from the poker room in Seabrook, my buddy and I went outside to get something out of the car. A man in the front parking lot looked at us and started calling us every name in the book. He was looking for a fight. We kept walking and he kept running his mouth. We got in the car and just left for a bit. We parked up front and spoke with the front staff. The lady was very nice about it, but we could not describe the person outside. We stayed in the rest of the night as it was not worth the risk with this guy hanging around outside. All in all, the incident in the parking lot really ruined the trip. There are no camera's outside or anything that makes one feel safe. We paid $55.99 a night, so the price was right. We plan to stay closer to the poker room next time we go down to NH. As I said, the room was clean, bathroom was clean, bed was comfortable for the most part, and the price was right. No breakfast in the morning, but they did have free coffee. The only advice I have is to make sure you keep your door locked.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor, away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends