“Beyond unprofessional !”

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Provincetown, Massachusetts
“Beyond unprofessional !”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I had a reservation at this Motel 6 for August 10, 2013 to attend my 40th High School reunion being held in Portsmouth, H.H.

I Drove from Boston, MA. which took 3 hours due to heavy weekend traffic.

I arrived at the motel and entered the lobby to check in. The desk clerk was counting and sorting money in a section / area beside the front desk and told me she would be with me in a few minutes. I replied, no problem. Ten minutes later she comes to the front desk and asks me if I have a reservation, I replied, yes. She "pulls up" my reservation on the computer and confirms my reservation. I arrived at the motel at 2:00 - 2:15 pm . . .

BUT . . . . She tells me that my room would not be ready / available till 4:00 - 6:00 pm ! I replied, what ? She continues to inform me that they are sold out and very busy. I calmly asked her if my room would be ready closer to 4:00 pm or closer to 6:00 pm. She replies . . . "I have no clue" !

I am not familiar with the Portsmouth, N.H. area and the 1st. reunion scheduled activity was to begin at 3:00 pm. I wanted to shower and get dressed to attend my reunion. It was clear that this wasn't going to happen, not at this Motel 6 !

She actually told me that Motel 6 does not guarantee a specific check in time, Only a check out time. What ? ? ? She proceeds to ask me if I booked my reservation through "Price Line" . . I replied , Yes. She said to me that Price Line has no clue what their doing.

Not wanting to over react . . . And not wanting to "settle" for being held captive to this motel, I asked if there was a "financial penalty" if I cancelled my reservation. She replied , no. I decided to cancel my room . I returned to my vehicle and drove back to Boston !

I have years of experience in "public service". I have been a waiter, a bartender, 33 years as a hairstylist and owning my own Ice cream store.

It takes a lot to "stun me" . . . I was beyond stunned by this motel's apathy, unprofessional attitude of "who cares", "not my problem".

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank hawkeye10k
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portsmouth, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear hawkeye10k - Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the level of service you received as you attempted to check in. The service you described is certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we are very sorry that you decided not to stay with us as a result. We kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Love this motal and its location. Stay here often en route to Maine. Easy highway access, staff always helpful and friendly, room is spotless and comfortable, and the location is great. Longhorn Steak House across the street, and IHOP around the corner. Plus every chain store one could want to check out, yet location is quiet and peaceful. What more could one want for about $60 a night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CTNutmeg
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Will not come back to motel 6.. no clock in room. No.shampoo. not kid friendly... Front desk called to ask if we had kids running around,, we were watching tv... Can't believe what they charge for what you get.. would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't go to motel 6
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank brittafoster

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Always clean, secure with low prices and courteous personnel... One caveat, we usually travel there in August, late June crowd was noisier. Had the feeling the clientele was less about people vacationing in the area and more like folks driving through and staying one night, hence the noisy, late night check-ins, would have appreciated more discretion on their part. Nice pool to use as usual.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gina B
Severna Park
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I live in MD and have property in Northern ME, so we stay in NH twice a year, every year on our way up to the property. We have stayed in this hotel about 10 years ago and it was not bad. When we arrived, the front desk advised us the rooms were not ready and they could not tell us what check in time was. When we did get a room, it smelled of mildew and wet carpets. The hotel advertised expanded cable channels, they had the worst selection of channels I have ever seen. During the night we realized the room was also infested with fleas. The towels were like cheesecloth and they do not provide travel shampoo, a hair dryer, or even internet (you have to pay extra for that). Overpriced flea bag, poorly run dump !!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Helen W
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I understand the concept of you pay what you get for. But it's a new day in age and their are some standards when it comes to paying to sleep somewhere. The facility/room should be clean. We had a non-smoking room, which was filled with smoke smell. My husband is highly allergic to that and he had a horrible night( maybe invest in two separate air units?) I know no one uses the actual bed cover, but come on the stains and smell on it isn't necessary. The staff I guess is what you would expect for the place, unprofessional. The bathroom was clean, but you could see old stains. We will not be recommending this place or staying here again. I'm sure their is other places in the area where you can just lay your head down for a similar price.

Room Tip: A/C is noisy, all rooms smell like smoke, disinfect your room because I saw the cleaning staff and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allie S
Windsor, ME
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed 1 night at this hotel just to get us closer to Boston (going to a concert and wanted to split the drive in half). We chose this hotel for the rate on Hotels.com, it had mixed reviews. Upon arrival, the reservation i had printed out went up $10, so off to a shady start. They charge for the wifi connection $2.99, which isn't much but still... who charges for Wifi anymore? You can get it free at McDonalds, but not at your hotel? The speed is sloooowwww, and you have to continue to enter the password every time you exit an internet window. Ice machine was broken. The rooms are small, & had no towels when we got there, no hair dryer, no iron, no ironing board. For the price to stay here, if you do, and don't like cigarette smoking or the smell, don't stay on the third floor or above. They designed this hotel so smoking is allowed on the third floor and everything on the fourth smells like it... smoke rises right?... so the smell will as well. We aren't high maintenance folks AT ALL, and don't require much, but the next time we stay in Portsmouth, ill pay the extra $20 to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: They designed this hotel so smoking is allowed on the third floor and everything on the fourth smell...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple