“A good no nonsense hotel”
Review of Motel 6 Portsmouth

Motel 6 Portsmouth
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

as a Marriott Rewards member,I cannot afford to sleep in hotels like these every single time, especially in midsummer when the prices are at their highest.As dog owner,Marriott's will charge a $100 room sanitation fee. Motel 6 accepts dogs at no extra cost (or $10, I don't remember), and besides, where else in Portsmouth can you book a room for 2 adults under 100$ a night? This is a great no nonsense motel. The rooms are very clean and the beds comfortable. The bathrooms have been recently renovated. You won't get a coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, clock radio or shampoo but keep in mind that this is a price point hotel. The carpets in the stairways are dirty but I don't care about that. I only wish that the wifi was free. they charge an extra $2.99 per day. If I give a company $100, I should be getting free WiFi.Even wifi is free at low end restaurants like McDonalds

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Paul I

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Don't stay at this hotel. Many negatives - but worse was the bed bugs. When I complained at the front desk, very unsympathetic. As it turns out, we were not the only ones. Another woman in the lobby at the same time, also complained. Although this is a budget chain, no excuse for cleanliness. The hotel is very noisy (room doors are very loud when opening/closing and when someone near you flushes the toilet - sounds like a jet engine just fired up), the parking lot is difficult to use and turn around. Although I didn't use the pool, I wouldn't have - not clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dmw410
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our room was not ready until 5:00pm. We checked in around 2:00 and were told to come back in an hour. We reserved a non-smoking room, but when checking in we were given the choice of a non-smoking room where the air conditioning was broken, or a smoking room. Our reservations was for a Saturday & Sunday night. The following day our door keys would not work! We also had trouble with the internet. The gate for the outside pool was jammed and so other patrons had gained access by climbing over the fence. Every time we experienced a problem or needed an update on whether our room was ready there was a long line waiting to be helped by the "one" front desk person.
I can only conclude they have a severe lack of help!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathy F
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked this property with Motel6 on the internet a month in advance with 2 full beds. It was guaranteed with a credit card. When we arrived we were told they didn't have what we booked.
The best they could do was 1 queen bed if we wanted air conditioning & no smoking. Our bill was $100.05 U.S. We expressed our displeasure & took what they offered since most places are full in August.. The room smelled like smokers. We opened the window to air it out. The halls were extremely hot.
This property is difficult to get into. There is a median that prevents you from turning in from 1 direction. We had to travel several blocks and turn around to get back to the property when we went out for dinner.
That is the first time we have had a reservation anywhere that did not provide the type of room we ordered.
Buyer beware. In their fine print Motel 6 says they will provide a room but not guarantee what kind. We will think twice before using Motel 6 again.

Room Tip: No guarantees with Motel 6 reservation
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very basic room, It felt like a dorm room my daughter stayed in. Nothing fancy about it. Very hard to get in to and out of with a car. Boulevard the whole way down the centre of the road. Drove the GPS crazy. Not too far from the downtown area and we found free parking and a free shuttle...weekends only. Took a harbour cruise...well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Brief Review: It sounds like a good deal, but don't take it. It's not worth it. Stay some place else and enjoy yourself.

The Full Review: We arrived at the Motel 6 on August 1 not expecting anything glamorous, but expecting a clean and respectable motel. I started to have my doubts when I found a large group of twenty-somethings arriving with their coolers, all of them talking and laughing just outside the motel or in the tiny lobby. It had the look of a party motel.

One of the maids was upset at the front desk because someone had used hair dye and it was all over the floor of one of the rooms and they had to close the room down even though it had been cleared as OK to check in to. This seemed to cause some sort of chain reaction because the next woman who came to check in was told she could have either a smoking room or a non-smoking room with a broken air conditioner. The woman was upset having reserved a non-smoking room and was told "we can't guarantee you'll get the room you want, just that you'll get a room.' I've traveled a lot and never had to take anything other than what I'd reserved.

My friend and I took our keys and headed up to our room only to find it was open and hadn't been cleaned. Back downstairs. The clerk was frustrated as the maids had cleared that room as ready. My friend and I sat down and listened as person after person came in and was offered the smoking room (the rooms don't smell too bad, but the halls really stink one of the clerks told them) or the broken air conditioner room. Some poor soul took the broken air conditioner room though it was quite warm and muggy.

After about ten minutes our room was ready, and I was skeptical. It didn't seem enough time to clean but we went up and passed a shirtless twenty-something filling his cooler full of beers with ice and returning to the room next to ours. This didn't look good. We opened our room. The room was made up, but I found a hair on my pillow and my friend discovered the bathtub was filthy with grimy streaks. We didn't continue our inspection. My friend called downstairs to complain and the head maid came in and agreed the room was filthy. I whipped out my phone and searched for a hotel nearby and found the Hampton Inn around the corner. We got the last room and were very grateful.

We went downstairs where my friend worked for twenty minutes to get a refund. At first they only gave her half, but after a call to management, she was given a full refund.

Nothing is included at the Motel 6, so you get what you pay for. You have to pay for Wi-fi, there is no free breakfast, no shuttle service. We arrived at the Hampton Inn and happily paid more money for these services. The breakfast was delicious and the free shuttle service (took us anywhere in a five mile radius) was worth the extra fee alone.

Do not stay at the Motel 6, despite the lure of the make-over and cheap price. The shuttle driver for the Hampton Inn is a local and says Motel 6 has always been a party spot because of its cheap prices. A bunch of kids rent a room and party all weekend. He did it himself when younger.

If you're twenty-one and looking for a good, cheap party spot, pick this place. If not, stay far away.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank liberin
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived at the Motel 6 at two and was advised our room would not be ready until 3. Luckily there is a strip mall across the street that has a Trader Joes. When we back around 3 our room was ready. Apparently the rooms had been refurbished (?) and the decor was fun with an attractive contemporary theme. The room was clean and I'm liking these rooms with no carpet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends