“Nice but overpriced”

Ranked #1 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
UK
“Nice but overpriced”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Just completed a tour of New England and stayed one night at the Ale house. It was very nice, clean and nice touches like complimentary beer but over priced. Only ever saw one member of staff when we visited and didn't feel it was worth the money. From the reviews expected more.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Inn is well located in Portsmouth, close to shops and restaurants. Our room was a little on the small size, but comfortable enough, although the cost was over $200. There were no tissues in the room, just a toilet paper dispenser, and there was no soap in the shower, just body gel, which I dislike. The reception desk was friendly but is not staffed after 6PM. Complimentary beer was provided, and bottles of water. The Keurig coffee was appreciated and the bed was comfortable. Both breakfast and dinner recommendations were provided.

Room Tip: We only saw our room, #9, and it was a little small.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Will S
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night as the final stop in our trip before driving to Boston Airport.
Finding the place was easy due to the excellent instructions / directions provided at the time of booking and also a couple of days before our arrival.
We had room 1 (in case anyone's interested) which I think is a 'Standard' room.
The room was quite small but it had everything we needed to be comfortable, was modern, furnished in a contemporary style and was spotlessly clean.
When we checked in we were given advice about where to eat, drink and visit - and we were given a couple of bottles of beer to enjoy at our leisure.
It was quite pricey, but it's not a cheap area and was worth it for the location. We'll stay again next time we're in the area.

Wethersfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 September 2013

It's clear plenty of people like this place, but I'm not one of them.

The pluses: Nice location. Clean. Everything worked.

For me, it is not worth the money. This isn't a B&B, this isn't a New England inn. I suspect it's most like some European hostel/hotel, and that's nice if you like it. If I'm paying over $200 a night, I'm looking for charm, for quaint, for elegant, for luxury, for something that makes the place special for me. The Ale House isn't any of these.

If I'm paying over $200 a night, I want service. I want a place that's run for my convenience, that caters to me. Not this place; it's run for the interest and convenience of the owners, not me. No one staffs this place from 5 pm until 8 am, so if you have a problem, you have to call someone off-site to deal with your problem. The front door is locked most of the time - I need to remember and punch in an access code.

The owners leave a long explanation about who they are and what their philosophy is. They want the place to be green. That's why they have central air without controls in the room. The instructions say that if it's too cold, I should stand on a chair and adjust the vent in the ceiling. Really? Stand on a chair for $200 a night?

Low water flush toilets, please reuse your towels, tiny little desk lights with little switches, all with kind of an ultra-modern, high-tech feel to them, but they aren't very convenient.

The whole place gave me the feel that it was being run for the owners' convenience and not for mine. I get it when the place is Motel 6, and I understand that at Motel 6 I get what I pay for.

I'll go back to Portsmouth - it's really a fun place to waste a couple of days - but I'll stay at a real B&B, a real inn, or a decent chain hotel for $180 that's designed to make me comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark K
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had the good fortune to stay at the Ale House in early September. We were only in town for a day and wanted to see Prescott Park, Strawberry Banke, downtown Porstmouth and take a harbor cruise. The Ale House was only a few minutes walk from any of these attractions. It is a small boutique hotel but they have done an excellent job converting the space above the theater into some great accommodations. It was very clean and well appointed with free bottles of water and snacks in the lobby. The Kuerig coffe maker and complimentary K cups were greatly appreciated. There's an ipad on the desk with information on the attractions, shopping, dining and nightlife options available. It was a great experience I would highly recommend the Ale House to anyone staying in Porstmouth, NH.

4 Thank upsouthvolleyball
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Ale House Inn is in the perfect location to explore Portsmouth! The room was modern, cozy and had everything we needed (even an iPad to plan out our adventures). The staff was pleasant, helpful and did whatever they could to make our stay even better. The complimentary beers at check-in were just an added bonus. The owners are doing it all right, we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Portsmouth!

Room Tip: We stayed in the mid-sized room and it was the perfect size for the two of us.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AshleyP001
Brisbane Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This Inn is centrally located and parking is provided in the church lot opposite with exempt times on certain days - be sure to check before you book re parking. There is a pleasant sitting room which accommodates 4 people where you can drink your free beer and partake of the complimentary snacks and fruit. Our cosy Queen room was very small with a separate toilet and shower and a small sink outside the bathroom. We were unfortunate to find a left over food container on the floor of our room upon arrival and also the bath plug did not work and Kelsey advised that she had already reported it for maintenance and was waiting for it to be done. On both these occasions, Kelsey handled these problems professionally and to our satisfaction. I was shocked to find that the vase like container next to our bed contained toilet tissue to be used as facial tissue. When querying this, I was advised that it was a common practice - however in our past many years of travel, we have never experienced this and could not believe that an established of this quality, could not provide a box of tissues!!!
Would I stay again - no, I would try somewhere else that doesn't expect you to use toilet paper on your face!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 9 - too small.
7 Thank DiR46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Ale House Inn? Share your experiences!