“Convenient and Clean”
Review of Ale House Inn

Ale House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Ale House inn for my wife's 40th Bday in Portsmouth, one of her favorite cities. The place was conveniently located within walking distance to Portsmouth's downtown as well as Prescott Park. We were greeted with open arms by the staff upon our arrival and found our room to be just what we needed...well kept, modern Queen petite. The room had views of both the harbor and downtown. The inn also has a small cozy lobby with a rustic feel...fireplace, computer station, snacks. All in all we will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at Ale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

It is lovely to hear that your wife's birthday getaway was a success and that our Portsmouth boutique inn could be a part of that! We are so glad that our urban seacoast vibe and views, cozy lobby, and welcoming staff added to your celebration. Thank you for choosing us to help her ring in a new decade. We look forward to your return to the Ale House Inn.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The good:
Good location
Free parking
Free iPad and Keurig in each room
Free tickets to REP theatre on ground level
Free snacks and fruits in the lobby

The not so good:
Parking though free has restrictions
Poor lighting and only one outlet in the miniscule bathroom
View of another roof top
Though Free tickets to REP we had to ask about it after reading this was available online.
Small room with minimum decor...Poor reading lights by the bed

All in all, other lodging beckons in Portsmouth.

Room Tip: Know that you have to carry your bags up a high set of stone stairs No service between 6 PM and 8 A...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Qwickrick

Thank you for our review. We are so pleased that the central, downtown location of our Portsmouth NH inn and our unexpected amenities made an positive impression on you. We also greatly appreciate your candid thoughts. As new owners/managers of the property, we believe it is a gift to hear how our guests feel things can be improved. It also helps us to understand better how to communicate some of the realities of our urban location. All the best to you. We hope you reconsider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband took me to Portsmouth for my birthday and we stayed here. It was very cool and very clean. The receptionist was extremely nice. I really liked that it was different-it is a big brick building with a theater on the bottom and the rooms are on the second floor. Not sure it would be for everyone- it is not a traditional hotel or inn. There is just the one floor of rooms and a beautiful common area. Nothing is overdone or over the top but it is nicely decorated and simple. It is super close to restaurants and shops which was great. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1 which is the closet to the exit and reception. If you want something quiet I wo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle02053
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at Ale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your birthday getaway to our boutique Portsmouth NH inn. It sounds like you made the most of our fantastic proximity to Portsmouth restaurants and shops. Our "former brewery" set-up is a bit unconventional and funky and we are glad that you found it "cool." Our guest lounge is pretty awesome, isn't it? Please visit us again soon the next time you need a break!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I travel a lot, and prefer to stay in boutique hotels. I sometimes travel on a budget, sometimes splurge for more if I feel like it's worth it. I rarely give negative reviews, because I usually read all reviews before I go so I know what I am in for. I booked a night at the Ale House for a last minute business trip instead of staying at the Sheraton where the conference was - - not a fan of big box hotels. I only read the first few reviews before booking. Turns out I should have read more.

There are some things about The Ale House that travelers should know, before they book. First, there is no staff at the Inn between 5 pm at 8 am. I did not know this until after I booked, when I got my confirmation email. I figured I could handle it, as I am an independent woman and travel alone for business frequently. Turns out it creeped me out arriving in the dark, using a key code that I am guessing is not changed regularly, and going through a dark hallway to an old elevator, leading up to another deserted hallway to get to the rooms. My key had been left in my open room. No one was around, and it just felt weird.

Second, there are very steep stone steps leading up to the front door, and not just a few of them. I only had a small bag, but if someone had heavy bags it could have been a real hassle lugging them up. Again, no one around to help.

Third, the parking situation is weird. You have to park at a church lot across the street. You must move your car by 10 am the next day if you are checking out. I was there during the week, but I think cars have to be moved on the weekends during church - - not sure about that.

All of these things might be fine for you, but you should know about them before you book. For me, the last two issues would have affected what I thought the price should be. The first issue feels more like a safety/security issue, and is a dealbreaker for me in the future.

The decor is typical modern, nice and inoffensive, but no local art or flavor in the room. The linens were good, but I found the mattress very uncomfortable (this is subjective, I know - - others seem to like them). The ironing board provided was a "mini", so I had to set it up on the bed to do my ironing for the conference the next day - - not convenient. The iPhone docking station is for the pre-5 models, and no usb ports for charging that I could find. Free iPad in the room was a nice bonus, but I travel with my iPhone so it didn't add much for me.

I did not pay much to stay here, as it was way off season, midweek, and I had the least expensive room. I see that some rooms go for $250+. I simply cannot imagine why someone would pay that to stay here. At that price, you should be expecting personal service that is not possible when no one is in attendance after 5 pm and you have to bother people across town by phone to get help. I have stayed in lots of alternative accommodations in lots of places, and all of them - - inns, b&bs, guest houses, campgrounds, even youth hostels-- had overnight staff.

I am not sure why all of the people who gave high reviews do not expect more for their money. Portsmouth should not be this expensive, at this level of service. The decor is nice, but it isn't nice enough to make up for the other shortcomings. At the least, information about the staff hours, parking, and the steep, long staircase to get in should be more prominently displayed, and not just on the "policies" tab of the website. That is what has prompted me to post - - people should know what they are getting.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank PaigeNE
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at Ale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

We thank you for your review and for sharing your concerns. Ale House Inn indeed only has staff onsite from 8 am to 6 pm, but we also are always on call when a guest needs us. While we do outline these hours and many of the issues you mentioned in the booking section of our website and in our confirmation letter, we agree that perhaps it is not as prominent as it should be prior to booking and we are taking steps to rectify that and make the information more visible. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Came up to Portsmouth with my boyfriend for a wedding. The hotel is situated in an old ale house, which is charming on the outskirts of the town. When getting in the reception was small, but the receptionist was very nice and showed us to our room. The room we had was just stunning. The bed was huge, for an English girl this was such a novelty, and was so comfortable.
The only slightly negative point is that there is no food. If you want to eat then you do have to eat out. Possibly the hotel could recommend or pair up with restaurants that would deliver.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bumpkin7
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at Ale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found your room to be so spacious and comfortable. It’s true, Ale House Inn does not serve food. Our Portsmouth hotel wouldn’t even think of competing with the incredible dining options located just outside our door! With over 250 restaurants in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, you are sure to find a great option to fit your mood.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed one night here at the end of a two week trip. We couldn't fault the downtown location, and also the detailed instructions to reaching the designated hotel parking!
We booked a "cosy queen", so we knew the room would be small. It was indeed, but there was plenty of storage space. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well kitted out (large TV, ipad etc).

The inn itself is located above a theatre, and it was slightly strange to enter and walk through a mezzanine level, which overlooks the entrance hall of the theatre, and then take the elevator to the inn,which only occupies a floor of the building. (this is not criticism, just something I've not experienced before!!)

There is no restaurant on-site, and no breakfast (but fresh fruit and snacks in the lobby area) - in a town like portsmouth, this isn't an issue, and there are lots of places to eat nearby! The receptionist was very friendly, and able to give directions and recommendations of where to eat.

Since we stayed, the Inn has been acquired by Lark Hotels. This wouldn't necessarily put us off staying in the future, but the original owners plan to open a new boutique hotel in Portsmouth, which I would be interested in checking out, as I feel they put a lot of thought into the Alehouse Inn.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LouLouLouLouLouLou
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at Ale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for your review and your thoughts on your stay. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that our new, detailed directions on parking were helpful! Lark Hotels is a small service and design oriented company with local managers at all properties. In fact, Kelsey, the former assistant manager, is now the manager and the person who helped you with your needs. We greatly admire the work Doug and Dan did to create a great atmosphere at Ale House Inn and our intention is only to enhance it. As a Lark Hotel now, guests at Ale House Inn are able to sign up for our "On a Lark Club" loyalty program. We hope to see you back at Ale House Inn or one of our other New England properties. All the best!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Yes, the rooms are small...But we knew this would be the case before we arrived. I felt that there was more than enough space for a two night stay, and was very impressed at the cleanliness of the Inn. I also appreciated the convenience of having an Ipad in the room with restaurant suggestions listed by category.

This is definitely one of those places that I would feel comfortable returning to again and again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NedaJones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Ale House Inn? Share your experiences!