“Total fun--why are you hesitating? Dive in!”
Review of Portsmouth Eats

Portsmouth Eats
Ranked #9 of 14 Tours in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Portsmouth Eats is a walking and tasting tour of the best restaurants in Portsmouth NH. Portsmouth is a foodie’s delight with one of the highest concentrations of restaurants per-capita in the nation. Several tours are available to suit your favorite food experience. One tour visits 5 restaurants providing the history, menu, taste and often meeting the owner of the restaurant. Portsmouth Eats Tour gives the best taste of New England’s favorite foods in Portsmouth NH.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Colleen and Steve were great hosts as we toured four restaurants and finished up with cupcakes in Prescott Park. Each restaurant served a tapas-sized portion, which was just enough to make a full meal. I did not note every name--bad for me--but we started at the Blue Mermaid and finished with Mambo (spelling?).

It would be great if they provided a list of where we were going because there are lots of them that I would repeat if I get to go to Portsmouth again.

It was nice to have a little story in each place--about the restaurant, the location and a tidbit about the town as well. I highly recommend this for a neat way to check out the city. I think it would be great to do it your first night in town if you are there for several. You'd get to sample places to eat and get your bearings.

1  Thank MurryG08

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

My sisters and I did this tour and enjoyed it so much we are making it a "must do" on every trip we take. We walked to 5 different restaurants and had great food at each place. Colleen was our tour guide and gave a fabulous walking tour as well as showing us the best food to order. I would recommend the tour highly!

2  Thank Laurie B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

A friend and I went on the Best of Portsmouth Walking and Tasting Tour recently. It proved to be a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon in this great little city. The selection of restaurants was varied, as were the food choices. I felt we could have skipped the hotdog at Gillies, but my companion thought that was a great counterpoint to some of the other venues.
Since I'm familiar with Portsmouth and it's restaurants, I was hoping to be introduced to some new places. That was not to be. I was happy to return to the Blue Mermaid and the River House - two long-time favorites. I was not so happy to end our tour at the Friendly Toast, a restaurant locally famous for it's health code violations.
All in all, I would recommend this to visitors. The price is appropriate. The restaurants interesting to those not from the area, and our guide, Coleen, an enthusiastic and knowledgeable leader.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I found Portsmouth Eats on the web when looking for things to do during our one full day in Portsmouth, NH. Four of us signed-up about a month before we were scheduled to go to assure that we would not miss out on this tour, since a minimum of 6 people are required and we wanted to make sure the tour would be held. We figured there would surely be another 2 people who would sign up. Well, our tour had 11 attendees and all of us had a great time. We ate the specialty of the house at each restaurant and along the way we learn about Portsmouth history. We ate tasty salad at the Blue Mermaid, great hot dog at Gilley's Diner, incredible pizza at Portsmouth Gas Light Co., award winning chowder at the River House, and wonderful quesadilla at Friendly Toast. Unplanned, but added to the tour was Dolce Freddo's for scrumptious gelato! Although the restaurants may change, I'm sure new ones will be just as wonderful as the ones we visited. Sign-up and have fun!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

My wife and I visit Portsmouth several times a year and have always enjoyed the many dining options. We decided to try the Portsmouth Eats tour to see if we’d discover some places that we haven’t been to before.
We went on the vegetarian tour (there are 4 or 5 different tour “themes”) with Colleen, as that was the “tour de jour” while we were there. We’re not vegetarian but often seek out vegetarian restaurants and meals anyway.
The tour more than met our expectations! We were able to sample food at 5 different restaurants, and it was all delicious. It’s also a great opportunity to check out the menus and get a sense of the “vibe” at each stop. One was a place we’ve thought of trying before but hadn’t gotten around to it. One (likely going to become our new favorite!) was a few blocks off the beaten path and we would have never found it on our own. We also went to a restaurant which has a small balcony with a great view looking out over the river; even our friends that visit Portsmouth far more than we do weren’t aware the balcony was there.
In addition to the restaurants we visited Colleen pointed out many other interesting places and explained quite a bit about Portsmouth history. When it came up that most of the group enjoy wine she detoured to a wine tasting; we went back after the tour and picked up 4 bottles.
We enjoyed it so much that we’re definitely going to try another of her tours.

1  Thank Doug_NewHampshire