“Nice Introduction to Portsmouth”
Review of Portsmouth Eats

Portsmouth Eats
Ranked #9 of 14 Tours in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Portsmouth Eats is a walking and tasting tour of the best restaurants in Portsmouth NH. Portsmouth is a foodie’s delight with one of the highest concentrations of restaurants per-capita in the nation. Several tours are available to suit your favorite food experience. One tour visits 5 restaurants providing the history, menu, taste and often meeting the owner of the restaurant. Portsmouth Eats Tour gives the best taste of New England’s favorite foods in Portsmouth NH.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Having never been to Portsmouth I figured learning the area through its cuisine was a good start! To begin, Portsmouth Eats tours five restaurants during the course of 2 hours (expect it will take longer than this, ours was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours). We first stopped at the Library Restaurant to taste their "bang bang shrimp." There was a nice bit of chili heat and crispness to the shrimp. We also got to sit in a very stately looking dining area with a bar that is reminiscent of olden times.

We then ventured to the Blue Mermaid restaurant. This was my least favorite stop on the tour due to the food choice. We were given a sharing portion of an island salad that had mango, peppers, and sliced banana. The salad was not as substantial as the other food we received on the tour. Maybe a salad with jerk chicken would have been tastier. The high point here was the chips and salsa.

Next was the Gas Light Restaurant where we dined on potato bacon pizza and veggie pizza. We sat in the pizza area downstairs near the open brick oven which was nice to see. The pizza was creative and had a light crispy crust. This was the biggest portion of food we received on the tour.

Fourth stop was the River House Restaurant for some awesome clam chowder. The chowder was creamy and had some of the biggest chunks of clam I've ever had in clam chowder. I also spotted some lobster in the soup. This would be a good spot to return to given the outdoor eating area right on the water.

Last we ventured to the delectably sweet "Random Acts of Sweetness" for "James Bon Bons." The bon bons were cake balls dipped in white chocolate with a pomegranate frosting and sea salt. These were really delicious!

I also appreciated that we sat down at regular tables at 4/5 restaurants. The combination of Portsmouth history and food talk discussed on the tour added a lot of insight. Portsmouth Eats is a fun option for an afternoon!

2  Thank nbee98

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Portsmouth and the eateries we were visiting. The tour starts with a short movie at the Discovery Center where the tour begins. The 10-15 minute movie tells a little about Portsmouth's role in U.S. history and then for the next 2-2.5 hours we meandered the back roads of Portsmouth to eateries we would not have found on our own as a visitor. There were six stops during the tour including The Library, a beautiful traditional restaurant which would make for a romantic dinner; Gilly's supposedly the oldest food truck still being used. (it is in the Guinness Book of Records for having the most parking tickets); There were additional stops for award winning seafood chowder at the River House; a cupcake; brick oven pizza at the Portsmouth Gas Light C. which had potatoes, bacon and cream cheese on it and tasted just like a baked potato! Also visited the Blue Mermaid which had a colorfully Carribean decor and a fabulous salad which included mangos and bananas. We ended our tasting tour with a bonbon at the Random Acts of Sweetness.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked this tour after reading other great reviews here on Trip Advisor. And it did not disappoint! Colleen was our guide & she was great! Very knowledgable about the city, the restaurants & the area in general. We ate small plates at 5 different restaurants, walked the city while Colleen narrated some very interesting facts & met some nice people along the way. The bang-bang shrimp at The Library was to die for! As was the seafood chowder at the River House. And do not miss the baked potato pizza at the Gas Light. I absolutely, highly recommend this tour when visiting Portmouth!!!!!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Colleen and Steve were great hosts as we toured four restaurants and finished up with cupcakes in Prescott Park. Each restaurant served a tapas-sized portion, which was just enough to make a full meal. I did not note every name--bad for me--but we started at the Blue Mermaid and finished with Mambo (spelling?).

It would be great if they provided a list of where we were going because there are lots of them that I would repeat if I get to go to Portsmouth again.

It was nice to have a little story in each place--about the restaurant, the location and a tidbit about the town as well. I highly recommend this for a neat way to check out the city. I think it would be great to do it your first night in town if you are there for several. You'd get to sample places to eat and get your bearings.

1  Thank MurryG08
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

My sisters and I did this tour and enjoyed it so much we are making it a "must do" on every trip we take. We walked to 5 different restaurants and had great food at each place. Colleen was our tour guide and gave a fabulous walking tour as well as showing us the best food to order. I would recommend the tour highly!

2  Thank Laurie B