“Great bar scene- overrated for dining”
Review of Martingale Wharf

Martingale Wharf
Reserve with OpenTable
Martingale Wharf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 208 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Features an expansive deck overlooking Portsmouth Harbor, lounge with one of a kind 360 degree bar, and a diverse menu appealing to all palates.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

There is no question this place has a great bar scene and lively atmosphere for drinks with friends. Have dinner somewhere else first and come here for drinks after when the live music starts. The entree food was appetizer portions at entree prices. Lacking in flavor, actually boring and surprising bland in complete contrast to the atmosphere. The service was of equally poor quality. Our server never took our cocktail order and by the time she checked the one time after our entrees came (someone else delivered our appetizer), it was too late to order drinks, after all our tiny entrees were finished after a few bites. Scallop entree on a flavorless bed of spring greens. Seared tuna on a scoop of what looked and tasted like overcooked minute rice(see the pics for yourself). Even though they leave a bottle of water at the table (knowing they won't be back) unless they show you the trick up opening it, you will go without a refill to your water glass as well. Mostly the server seemed annoyed to even have to talk to us for the brief period of time we interacted. Perhaps my expectations were too high because this place has developed a reputation as the new best place in Portsmouth. Based on poor service and entrees, we won't be back. There are just too many great options in the area. So disappointing.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I dined with two friends on a Saturday night. We had a reservation and were cheerfully seated...in the smallest booth that we've ever sat in. We are regular sized people and the 4 of us felt very crowded. We managed by adjusting the table as much as we could before it fell off of the step up. The menu was skimpy and it seemed like it was either an expensive hamburger, fish and more fish or a $39.00 rib eye. Only a couple of pasta dishes and neither were very exciting. I'm not much of a fish eater and I'm not going to pay that much for a rib eye steak. I ended up with a calamari app, which was like eating rubber, and a Cobb salad. The salad was good but just not what I had anticipated having for dinner. The others in our party said that their food was okay, nothing more. Our waiter was very scattered and not paying attention to us. At one point my large glass of ice water that I specifically asked for just disappeared along with my husbands wine glass. Just not paying attention and gave me the impression that he really couldn't have cared less. We paid our $200.00 bill (with tip) and left. I have to say that the restaurant itself couldn't be in a better location. Right on the Piscataqua River with a beautiful view of the Rte. 95 bridge. It's really quite lovely. In my opinion, there is nothing special about the food or the service. The dress was casual to cocktail - and everything in between. The age group seemed to be 30 - 40. It's a pretty hip place with some fancy lighting. Not my cup of tea though.

1  Thank Leah G
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The price you pay for the meal...it isn't reflected in the food...it's reflected in the windows. The rent for such a beautiful location must be ridiculously high. They have to pay for it somehow. I"m still amazed that I can pay $80 for two salads, two drinks. But, it was beautiful to look out on the river and especially when an enormous ship and two tugs are headed right for you, then turn briskly to go under the bridge.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The view, spectacular! The table, great! The apps & salad, lovely. Our entree' delicious. Our server, pleasant. The meal priced accordingly, the time we spent together, priceless.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have now been there 4 times and strictly because of the view and NEVER EVER for the experience. I went there once for dinner and we waited 25 minutes till our waitress came over. It was terrible. Then my filet mignon was raw...had to send it back...not rare raw. It was disgusting. Then the second time I got it back it was the same piece of meat and it tasted like soot from a gas grill. Terrible! :( All other three times I went for drinks and appetizers. VERY slow service. Saturday night was the most recent experience and takes that cake for our experience for sure. We waited on the deck 20 minutes after being seated and when we said something to the waitress she said, "It wasn't 20 minutes I saw you guys get seated". Are u kidding me!!!! ?? We all looked at our phones when we sat down since we had dinner reservations so we knew it had been 20 minutes. Also WHY would she say that? She was admitting to ignoring us for 20 minutes? This is such a shame that such a beautiful place like that and you cant just enjoy it due to terrible service!

3  Thank jjanac