“A bit disappointed”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We read the reviews, and decided to try. I can't say it was bad, but unfortunately I can't recommend it either. It was average, nothing special. The food was average, and basically overpriced for the quality. The waiter seemed to be annoyed that we couldn't decide on the wine. He may have just been having a bad night, but he made the evening forgetable.
There are many other restaurants I would recommend in Portsmouth, before I would recommend Jumpin Jay's

There are newer reviews for Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Way way overpriced! I'm not a cheap person, I just expect value for my money. If something is worth a hundred bucks, I'll pay it. But, if it's worth five bucks and you want a hundred because the atmosphere is elegant, then I'll move my bed and dresser in. If I'm paying for the decor, I might as well stay and enjoy it.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

this is a hard place to get into without a reservation but well worth it. It can be a little noisy but the food transcends any noise. The service was great, not a long wait to be served and the food hot. It's a wonderful place to go in Portsmouth N.H.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We took advantage of Restaurant Week and enjoyed a wonderful dinner with friends at Jumpin Jay's this evening. My husband had Mussels, Blackened Swordfish, and Key Lime Pie while I enjoyed salad, Blackened Swordfish and Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta. It might have been the best meal ever. And, to go with the wonderful dining experience, the service was exceptional. I'd highly recommend this exceptional restaurant.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Everything from the food, service, drinks, & wait were all extraordinary!!!! Very comfortable atmosphere! Food & drinks were amazing!! And we didn't have to wait long at all!!! Recommend this place to everyone!!!!!!!