“Bratskellar Pub has a relaxed atmosphere”

Dinnerhorn Bratskellar
Ranked #48 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2014

So, we like to relax, have a few beverages and perhaps have an appetizer before supper or if it is lunch we order the pizza. The pub area seems to be the perfect place for this sort of thing. The staff is very friendly and do not seem to mind if you are not in a hurry, like at some establishments that serve food and drinks. We have found the pizza to be delicious, other things not so good. We tried the nachos which were not as good as we expected them to be, but we have to say we are fussy about our nachos. If you are looking for an informal, relaxing atmosphere to enjoy your afternoon or early evening this is a nice place to try!

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We're a 20/30 something couple from out of state looking for a dinner spot tonight. We, like you saw the few 'bad' reviews, and thought...nah, can't be bad - the good reviews are great and it appears this is where the locals go. Yes, the local nursing home..maybe you've lost your sense of smell/taste or you're on a restricted diet of mush - perfect, this is the place for you! Once we sat down, our gut feeling was to head right on out the door by glancing at their menu and average age of the patrons. Instead, we ordered something that we thought couldn't be screwed up. Boy, were we wrong! We split a side Ceaser Salad - the lettuce looked wilted and dirty. The edible portions were bland & boring. Ah ha! Out comes the main dish of fried shrimp & scallops with fries. We have never had seafood more close to the ocean that mine as well have been served at a truck stop in Iowa. The fry job was even bad - flavor less and soggy. Before stopping here we read a review that described this place as tired & old - SO TRUE!

1  Thank aboyd3
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pssst....I'll let you in on a little secret, but don't tell anyone. This is where the locals eat! They send the tourists and visitors to the expensive and average type restaurants. Seriously, we were recommended this restaurant by the guy who checked us into our hotel room. I asked him for a recommendation for a good restaurant and he told me to go here. He was right. The establishment has a pub on one side and a restaurant on the other. We chose the restaurant (my wife and I) and decided on seafood, no appetizer. Good decision for no appetizer because we wouldn't have had any room. The "Captains plate" which is basically your seafood platter was excellent. Fries, coleslaw, tartar, haddock, clams, shrimp and scallops. All on a huge plate. I couldn't eat it all! My wife decided on a baked seafood dish and she was as well very impressed. Apparently their pizzas are excellent, they have been baking them for forty years, haven't changed because they are so popular. Our server, Ethan proved to be an excellent waiter. Great server, great food, no room for dessert. We'll be back our next time in Portland.

1  Thank Richard N
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I like to dine here when in the area and we are always happy with our experience. We ate here again this trip and it was an outstanding experience. It was Restaurant Week and I ordered one of their items from this menu and I would rate my meal as my second best dining experience ever! I had an avocado and fish cake salad, the halibut with lobster sauce and shrimp risotto and apple pie with ice cream. The salad was a meal in itself and the pie went home with us. As always my husband order the seafood chowder which he claims to be the best of all he has eaten. This restaurant is not fancy, but the dining experience is always a pleasure. The service is friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a great restaurant for seafood, I really enjoy there haddock sandwich. I've had it both times that I've been there and was not disappointed. I will probably try something different next time, but it was very, very good!

Paul K, Owner at Dinnerhorn Bratskellar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2014

Thank you! Whether it's for a haddock sandwich or something a little different, we would love to have you back sometime.

Cheers,