“Three out of four ain't bad”
Review of Old Ferry Landing

Old Ferry Landing
Ranked #46 of 207 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I used to live Portsmouth in the '80s and loved the Ferry Landing at Happy Hour, despite the cramped space for drinkers-only on its deck. Most of its deck is for dining. It was always a good place to bring out-of-towners for lunch...there's too many great dinner options in Portsmouth, a small city packed with restaurants.

The Old Ferry Landing gets a leg up for lunch because of its location on the water with a view of Maine across the Piscataqua River, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and the three matching tugboats docked nearby. So when visiting my daughter and family last month, it seemed appropriate to take my first-time-Portsmouth-visitor Signficant Other and an out-of-town cousin and her husband there for lunch. I enjoyed my usual fried clam basket and my cousin and husband were pleased with their offerings. My girl friend, however, ordered a lobster roll - expecting a lobster salad roll. She was disappointed that the lobster roll consisted of chunks of lobster in a frankfurter roll. No celery, no mayonnaise, no "salad". (Although the menu said "lobster roll" and not "lobster salad roll", we were all surprised at her entree.) The place to sit at the Ferry Landing is definitely outside on the deck - weather permitting - as it did during our visit. For three out of the four of us, it was a good experience. for the fourth, she was still in want of a real lobster roll.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stopped here for a drink on our way "down the docks" on a August night. We decided to only have a beer but the place was packed on a warm Monday night. Service at the bar was prompt and the view was okay. We did not eat here based on reviews. Maybe next time.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Didn't know which place to eat at, so many choices, but decided on this one when I asked some locals who were waiting outside by the restaurant. If the locals eat there, then I know it's good. Also the New York Times did an article on 36 hours in Portsmouth and they recommended it as well. All our food was delicious and I had their famous drink and it was great too. Definitely get a table outside,it's worth the wait. Enjoy!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I think this place would be excellent as the last stop on a pub crawl. That way, everyone's palate would be sufficiently deadened, and the wallets would be loosened as well.

The food was ... edible. I had the lobster Caesar salad; he had the fried clams. It's really hard to mess up a salad, but the lobster was over cooked, so I sawed up the pieces and watched the tug boats.

I agree with "Mainers" ... walk a bit farther. You'll still get the view at a host of other places.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Yes location is great, but other adjacent restaurants have same view with much better food. We are hadn't been here in many years & decided to try it again. No real lunch menu, just a few lunch specials so you are paying dinner prices for lunch. Could not believe they didn't' offer clam roll, only clam plate for $18 or $19. Only reason not to offer clam roll, esp at lunch, is to squeeze additional money out of guests, make them order the higher priced clam plate. Clam chowder OK, grilled chicken sandwich was dry and served on uninspired plain roll, burger was cold, fries were frozen kind and limp. Service was slow and tables are very close. Try Martingale Wharf right down the dock, better food and way better atmosphere.

2  Thank Mainers