“This can't be the best Portsmouth has to offer for this type of cuisine...”
Review of Zahtar - CLOSED

Zahtar
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
“This can't be the best Portsmouth has to offer for this type of cuisine...”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

First off, I don't like writing negative reviews because I know there are hard working people that run and own these restaurants that rely on their income to feed their families. That being said, I also believe that if you don't tell the truth, they can never improve.

The restaurant itself was very clean and well decorated. The floors were nice and shiny and you can tell there were major renovations done.

As far as the food goes, my wife took the beef shawarma, I took the chicken shawarma and we got a kids plate of baked chicken fingers. You know your meal isn't going to go well when they take the protein out of pre-measured, pre-packaged bags and just put it on the bread. Once the meat was on, they stuck it in an oven to heat it up. The came the toppings. So many to choose from and nothing looked very appetizing. At the end, the gentleman asked what kind of sauce we wanted and when we asked what they had, he started enumerating them. It seems like this restaurant doesn't have an identity because we went from Greek, to Lebanese to a bunch of other types of cuisines which was all quite confusing. Oh, and there's this HUGE glass you stand behind when you order which didn't make sense to us cause we couldn't hear what he was saying, so we kept stepping to the sides back and forth, like a dance!

The seasoning on the chicken and beef were both quite bland, and the cucumber salad for me was just badly put together. The non-potatoe fries were actually really good so I suggest these strongly. Ad lastly, for one meal, a sandwich and a kid's meal and 2 bottles of water cost us almost the same as if we had gone to a sit down restaurant where we would have been served at a table instead of take out style.

I guess being from Montreal, I am spoiled with amazing Lebanese cuisine that's much, much more authentic than what we had at Zahtar. I think with a few minor changes, this place can set itself apart and find its identity (and not offer tzaziki sauce with pickled cucumbers in a shawarma!!).

2 Thank 69mgb

Wakefield, Quebec
“Not too hot!”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We usually go to "trip advisor" for hotel and restaurant reviews and we like to try out new food. The overall reviews of Zahtar were such that we were attracted both to the reasonable price and what was reported to be great food. NOT!!
There were no other people in the restaurant and this should have been a dead give away as it was dinner time (6:00-ish!) We ordered the chick pea fries and although they were tasty, there was way more that two people could eat prior to the healthy sized sandwiches. I was pleased to have a non-gluten wrap but it was cold and hard to bite into. The delicious ingredients were warm and delicious and if the wrap was too, it would have been better The staff were not where to be seen after serving us our meal. Would I go there again? Not likely.

Massachusetts
“Tastes better than its fast food price”
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Basically a falafel version of Chipotle. Food is fresh and tasty, and a much better value than Subway. Interior is attractive.

Dover, NH
“I'm addicted to their Falafel & Hummus!”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Awesome mediterranean food! Their hummus (especially the chili pepper and thai sweet pepper hummus-if they don't have the hummus, they always have the thai sweet pepper sauce you can add to your pita wrap) is to die for and the falafel is equally delish! I stop here at least twice a week. Staff is always very kind and welcoming! Love the whole sandwich bar feel, its like a mediterranean subway! They also offer delivery through mixmenu.com which is an added bonus when I can't get into downtown.

• Visited July 2013
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Delish”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Perfect for a quick lunch or light dinner! My husband and I ordered the Gyro & chickpea fries; both were delish and the gyro wasn't greasy like it is at other restaurants we've been to. Great service, and the woman preparing our food was super friendly. We will be back to try something else on the menu!

• Visited June 2013