“Restaurant CLOSED - Nov 2013”
Review of Zahtar - CLOSED

Zahtar
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Zahtar has now joined the ranks of the many Portsmouth restaurants that give it a good shot, but just can't make it in the competitive (and extremely expensive rental) market in town. They were in the biz for two years, and closed their doors the first week of November 2013. Personally, I didn't think they were so hot. I've had many middle eastern dishes better prepared elsewhere. That said, they did have some very good items in the mix, and they sure were convenient.

1  Thank alborealis

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stopped for lunch after arriving in Portsmouth where by the way there are plenty of restaurants to pick from in a very small and quaint town. The food was very good, nice size portions, the atmosphere was eclectic and welcoming,delicious orzo salad, nice service, great for a quick meal and priced right....

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My boyfriend and I went in here for falafel wraps and grape leaves. The wraps were really yummy, especially the different kinds of humus. The two kinds of salads were also tasty. I'm a little in love with grapes leaves and they're impossible to get where I live, so I was excited for those as well. It breaks my heart to say this, but the grape leaves were the worst I've ever had in my life. They were dried out and crunchy. They also came with a few pieces of stale, toasted pita for some reason. At over $5 for the appetizer, that was a huge waste of money. That being said, I wouldn't skip this place for lunch, it's really very good. Just don't order dolmas. Vegan friendly.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

First off, I don't like writing negative reviews because I know there are hard working people that run and own these restaurants that rely on their income to feed their families. That being said, I also believe that if you don't tell the truth, they can never improve.

The restaurant itself was very clean and well decorated. The floors were nice and shiny and you can tell there were major renovations done.

As far as the food goes, my wife took the beef shawarma, I took the chicken shawarma and we got a kids plate of baked chicken fingers. You know your meal isn't going to go well when they take the protein out of pre-measured, pre-packaged bags and just put it on the bread. Once the meat was on, they stuck it in an oven to heat it up. The came the toppings. So many to choose from and nothing looked very appetizing. At the end, the gentleman asked what kind of sauce we wanted and when we asked what they had, he started enumerating them. It seems like this restaurant doesn't have an identity because we went from Greek, to Lebanese to a bunch of other types of cuisines which was all quite confusing. Oh, and there's this HUGE glass you stand behind when you order which didn't make sense to us cause we couldn't hear what he was saying, so we kept stepping to the sides back and forth, like a dance!

The seasoning on the chicken and beef were both quite bland, and the cucumber salad for me was just badly put together. The non-potatoe fries were actually really good so I suggest these strongly. Ad lastly, for one meal, a sandwich and a kid's meal and 2 bottles of water cost us almost the same as if we had gone to a sit down restaurant where we would have been served at a table instead of take out style.

I guess being from Montreal, I am spoiled with amazing Lebanese cuisine that's much, much more authentic than what we had at Zahtar. I think with a few minor changes, this place can set itself apart and find its identity (and not offer tzaziki sauce with pickled cucumbers in a shawarma!!).

2  Thank 69mgb
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We usually go to "trip advisor" for hotel and restaurant reviews and we like to try out new food. The overall reviews of Zahtar were such that we were attracted both to the reasonable price and what was reported to be great food. NOT!!
There were no other people in the restaurant and this should have been a dead give away as it was dinner time (6:00-ish!) We ordered the chick pea fries and although they were tasty, there was way more that two people could eat prior to the healthy sized sandwiches. I was pleased to have a non-gluten wrap but it was cold and hard to bite into. The delicious ingredients were warm and delicious and if the wrap was too, it would have been better The staff were not where to be seen after serving us our meal. Would I go there again? Not likely.