“Great Coconut Chicken Tenders and Large Portions”

Poco's Bow Street Cantina
Ranked #75 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Poco's Bow Street Cantina offers a great atmosphere and menu for all occasions. Whether you are looking for lunch on the water, a romantic dinner, or a night out with friends, we are the perfect place. Dining and Porch Our beautiful dining room is the perfect place to enjoy a meal and look out at the Piscatuqua River whether inside or on the porch. With plenty of seating we can provide a quaint table for two or host your large party. The dining room is also available for private functions. Please call for more details. Non-Smoking. Cantina Poco's cantina has been a local hot spot for a long time. Locals and those visiting Portsmouth for the first time come to enjoy our romantic fireplace, enjoy the atmosphere, and grab a drink from our new extensive drink menu. Full menu available. Deck Our two large seasonal decks (one upstairs and one downstairs) are the perfect spot to relax, grab a bite to eat, and enjoy the views of a working waterfront.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Years ago at Poco's I had my first encounter with coconut shrimp. The place was known at the time as Poco Diablo. Recently we stopped in again on our way back from a mini-vacation. My companion and I were seated at a window table where we did have a limited view of the Portsmouth waterfront. My chair was positioned a little too close to the door leading out to the deck, so when servers and patrons went in and out, my chair got hit by the door. We were able to slide our table and chairs about a foot away in order to avoid this.

We placed an order for the half pound of coconut chicken tenders (my companion prefers chicken to shrimp). When the plate arrived, we were incredulous--we thought our server had brought the one pound order, but, no it was a half-pound. The coconut breading was some of the best we ever had, and we have had coconut shrimp in many places. The sweet salsa complemented the breading well. Both my companion and I washed these down with a mango margarita.

My companion ordered the seared scallop tacos with a mango salsa. I chose the chili. The tacos were very good. The scallops were seared and plump, not overcooked, and the cabbage filling fresh. The entrée was served with a dish of rice topped by beans, not the mush usually served at Mexican restaurants. The chili was meaty and the portion hearty, but it was fairly bland. It definitely needed more cumin, coriander, or cilantro. But we did not leave hungry.

We did notice some signs of distress--at one table near us, two young women had each ordered a glass of sangria, and instead were served a pitcher. This provoked an argument with the server, who appeared to be new to the job and had apparently punched in the wrong serving size, pitcher versus individual glasses, on the computer. On the other side of us, a customer ordered a drink which was tardy in being served because the server had an unfortunate accident in the bar, dropping the shaker, which landed on the glassware and broke a lot of glass, which sent shards all over the area, necessitating a lengthy cleanup. By comparison, getting my chair hit by the door was a minor inconvenience. But things did not run smoothly at Poco's.

1  Thank StarWeez

Reviewed 5 April 2014

One of the worst meals we've ever had in Portsmouth. This place has to be surviving on unknowing tourists. We were there a cold night, mid-week - and we were the only ones in the restaurant during our entire time there. Our waitress also was the bartender that night (first clue), We ordered the snapper tacos and the beef tacos. Our dinners were not hot - more on the lukewarm/cold side. When we mentioned it to our waitress she said that cold things go on the tacos so that is probably why they weren't hot! (Somehow, even Taco Bell has figured out how to get hot tacos to the customer, so it was a weak excuse). She even checked with the kitchen - came back and said they checked the temperature of the meat/fish and they were hot. Well, they must have sat in the back for some time before we got them because they were not hot when we were served. They came with some overly spiced bean/rice combo thing that was simply awful. I'm still mad at ourselves for wasting our $$ here. Horrible.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This place really is delicious, with it's Mexican "fusion" menu. It's not quite all the way Mexican, it's more of a blend w/ seafood fare with things like Lobster mac-n-cheese and they serve burgers. It's really very good though. Also, they have delicious margarita's. We love sitting on the back patio, especially in the summer months - it's really a wonderful spot overlooking the river and the iconic tug boats.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Poco's cantina was the best place I have ever eaten and drank at in my entire life. Margaritas and "comida" we're ON POINT. If you're ever in Portsmouth you need to check this place out. The servers were superb, the food...need I say more? Get the best experience of your life and go to this place!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was our second experience at Poco's. The first was underwhelming and the manager kindly reached out and provided an opportunity to try Poco's again. This time was better than the first. We got there about 6:30 on a Friday night and were seated right away. Instantly after being seating we noticed that the table hadn't been properly cleaned because there were still broken tortilla chips scattered near the salt & pepper shakers. I'm always surprised how empty the restaurant is during the weekends. The interior creates a great atmosphere and is in a great location to see the river. We didn't have any issues with the food. The taco salad and quesadillas were both very good. The service was average. Next time we come, we would give the downstairs/bar a try.