“The Best Stop on my East Coast Trip!”
Review of Dolphine Striker

Dolphine Striker
Ranked #55 of 206 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2013

When we arrived in Portsmouth we looked around and asked for some recommendations for places to eat. Funny but we didn't get too many people talking about the Dolphine Striker. But what a stop! This was the best food I ate and my traveling companions totally agreed. The service was spot on and the food was incredible from the Sea Food to the Special Italian Dish created by Grandma prepared by here her grandson who also Manages there as well. Don't miss this stop what ever you do if your in town for dinner!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I haven't been here many many years,for no particular reason except there are so other amazing restaurants in Portsmouth. On the positive side the service was great..we were the only party there(it was 1:00 pm, and they don't have a lunch menu) so I would hope so. My daughter ordered pan seared scallops with cous cous which was excellant. On the other side I ordered Caprese salad and mussels. The mussels were pretty good, but at 14.00 the Caprese salad was way over priced and not so good. My Mom had the Haddock Oscar which was ok a little over cooked and supposed to be served with asparagus which they didn't have.This place is in need of some updating.The bathrooms felt like they needed a good cleaning. The Dolphin Striker is right in the heart of Portsmouth and seems" tourist trappy" to me... or least go online and look for some half off certificates...they are out there!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I spend a few nights every month in Portsmouth and have had dinner at The Dolphin Striker twice. Both meals were phenomenal. My wife enjoyed fresh Tuna (and we know quality tuna as we are used to getting right off the boat in NJ) and I had one of the best filets of my life. A truly great and romantic experience. We were greeted with a smile by the owner and seated in the perfect spot. I have to say I am shocked by the few bad reviews I have read as we are pretty picky with our restaurants, atmosphere and service usually being the big drivers. We will definitely eat here again!

1  Thank Pelosima
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Came here with a larger group in July. We arrived a little earlier than our reservation and the staff was very accommodating finding us a spot to wait until our table was ready. We were a little on the late end of dining time but had a reservation.

After a short wait we were placed at what they called one of the 'best seats in the house' with a river view, however we were right next to the bathrooms which at times had lines of people waiting to use it. Our group found ourselves helping other patrons, commenting "the women's is occupied!" "the door sticks on the men's, it's actually open" when they asked, while trying to eat our meal. Not a place I would like to be seated again.

The waitress did her best to take care of our large group and water glasses were kept full, which we appreciated on a hot evening. I was a bit put off by the initial "our house soup of the day is X but we don't have enough for your whole group so you can't all order it." Appreciated the honesty but at the same time it was a point made a little bluntly.

I had the seafood cocktail trio starter and it was delicious. Loved the large lobster claws served with it and the crab was good too. Another member of our group had the lobster chowder and it looked like it was stuffed with large chunks of lobster meat.

I had the broiled seafood trio for my entree, and it says that it comes with a choice of starch so I chose mashed potatoes. A while after ordering the waitress returned to our table to let me know they did not have any baked or mashed potatoes so without much other option, I ended up asking for extra asparagus with my meal. This would have been fine except that the 3-4 pieces of asparagus I received left me less than full. A friend mentioned "boy, I'd hate to see their normal portion if that's what they call extra asparagus!" My scallops were cooked perfectly though and the rest of my meal was delicious.

For the non seafood eaters I heard the burger was excellent. My husband had the haddock Mediterranean, and didn't finish (which is a first for him), stating it was bland and the fish was overcooked and rubbery. His meal also was to be served with couscous but he was given pearl couscous, which I don't think he expected.

Pluses - nice candlelit atmosphere, no skimping on the lobster portions, helpful wait staff
Minuses - seating arrangements made it less than cozy, small portions, not where I would go again for a seafood dinner

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We went for the ahi poke but ended up ordering full meals just because the menu looked so good. We had lobster chowder which had large chunks of lobster, and blackened salmon (fantastic), oysters, and haddock Oscar (just ok).

Sometimes the wait staff can make a great environment or sometime the food can make a meal. In this case we had both. The waitress was excellent and the food extremely good. The portions certainly filled me so I don't get what others are saying about small portions. The owner went to each table to ensure quality and satisfaction.