“Old Name but different feel”
Review of The Rosa

The Rosa
Ranked #60 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Greenland, New Hampshire
“Old Name but different feel”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Went for lunch on a weekday-greeted by a hostess with a smile-seated on the dining side as opposed to the bar side. Pleasant waitress took our order of 2 chicken parms. Warm bread was served and the salads with house dressing were fresh. I realized that there were only 2 waitresses and a hostess on duty-they did not seem stressed out but it took 1/2 hour for our meals to arrive. Both were hot but the pasta was a touch overcooked. The service was good and we were checked on and any requests were accomplished with a smile.The interior has been done over and it has a more upbeat feel than the older tired feel of before. In the winter street parking is available but in the summer it may be a problem. Have an after 4PM dinner menu that has more items than the lunch. Would go back-have concerns about wait time

2 Thank j p

Boston, Massachusetts
“A great place for lunch”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Located down near the base of the bridge, I would not have found this restaurant if friends hadn't brought me there. They had a nice selection of salads, sandwiches and pasta and heavier fair for lunch. The food was very fresh and the service was excellent. The dining room is a nice size -not too big or too small and reasonably quiet. If you don't know Portsmouth well, it can be hard to find but it's definitely worth the trip.

1 Thank zs67
Boston
“Delicious food and fun open kitchen seating...”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I dined at The Rosa a few days ago to celebrate our anniversary. What a delightful experience. It started on a high note when I received a call-back confirming our reservation, which I had made before the restaurant was open for the day. Placing a call to them to confirm was on my to-do list for the day, but they beat me to it, which was greatly appreciated on a busy travel day. When we arrived, we noticed to our delight that there was an open kitchen area, similar to a sushi bar. Fortunately, there was lots of seating available at the open kitchen, and we jumped at it. It was such a treat. Fascinating to watch, while enjoying a wonderful meal. Delicious caesar salad (homemade dressing, and if there was any mayo in it, I didn't detect it), loaded with the extra anchovies we requested. Then pasta alfredo and chicken piccata. The alfredo was perfect, and the piccata had the right balance of tart and salty, and wasn't deep-fried, which it shouldn't be, of course, but all too often is. It was served on a bed of fettuccine with piccata sauce, which we appreciated. Why do so many restaurants put a good piccata on a bed of pasta with marinara sauce? Good-sized portions, not humongous, but more than we could eat. As it was a special celebration, we sprang for desserts, cannoli and a lemon cake that was moist and fragrant. Wine served in tumblers, plenty in one glass to last the entire meal. Very friendly server (I believe her name was Erica) and a sweetie in the open kitchen that plated my cake and let me take a cute photo of her presenting it. Altogether a delightful evening. We visit Portsmouth quite often from Boston, and will be sure to make a return visit to The Rosa.

2 Thank EclecticShopper
Keene, New Hampshire
“Open under new management”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

If you have ever visited Portsmouth and have eaten at The Rosa Restaurant, it is open again after being close for a while...

Still in the same location on the historic waterfront of Portsmouth, NH, this historic restaurant still maintains it's position near the drawbridge. The menu has changed away from the traditional Italian to a more upscale mix. Food was good and service friendly. Not sure it would be a first recommendation as it might have been under the old management. Somehow, while being in the same building, it has lost something.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“great food, great place”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My experience at The Rosa was excellent. Everything from the food, to the service, to the atmosphere was top notch. I went on a busy night, and even then I did not have too much of a wait and the food was sent out very quickly. Our waitress was great and gave us some excellent recommendations. The home made steak sauce on the Herb Grilled Hanger Steak is some of the best I've ever had, and their polenta fries were a great starer.

Overall, 4/5. One of my favorite places in Portsmouth.

• Visited December 2013

Been to The Rosa? Share your experiences!