“Fantastic Hotel, Great Location, Awesome Staff!”

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We frequently stay at HGIs around the country and this one is one of my favorites! It's in a great location, within walking distance to all of the fine restaurants and great shops of Portsmouth. The staff was very friendly and quick to get us checked in and up to our room. Sadly, it was quite rainy the weekend we were there but the staff was quick to provide an umbrella to anyone that needed one.

The rooms were a great size, clean and the Keurig in the room was a nice touch. Overall this is a great hotel, I have no complaints, which is rather rare in the hotel industry these days.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. We're pleased to hear that in all your travels, our property is one of your favorite Hilton Garden Inns because of our convenient location in downtown Portsmouth and our friendly staff. We value your business and hope you'll make us your home away from home in Portsmouth.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We always stay at another hotel , but this time we choose Hilton, because there were 4 of us- my husband & 2 daughters, ages 23 & 21 and wanted 2 queen size bed..... Which would give us plenty of room. We received our request , & I questioned the bed size & they told us they were queen -but those beds were not queen size , not by my standards - a little disappointed .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kara V
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Kara,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for offering valuable feedback. We're sincerely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit. The room types we have in the hotel are rooms with two queen size beds or 1 King. We do sometimes receive similar comments about the bed size because of all the pillows (both decorative & regular pillows) we have on the beds. I hope this won't deter you from visiting us again and giving us another opportunity to provide you with an excellent stay.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the HGI Portsmouth for a vow renewal the weekend of 6/6/14. The location is within easy walking distance of shopping, restaurants and the Harbor Tour. The staff was amazing! The front office clerk who checked us in was friendly and efficient. She remembered us by name the rest of the weekend. We were totally blown away by the restaurant staff!! The chef greeted us with a hearty good morning and made us feel so welcome. The servers were just as friendly - they genuinely wanted every guest to feel welcome and cared for. Every staff member from the young man who parked our car to the general manager greeted us with a friendly smile and asked if there was anything we needed. These people are the poster children for good service. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Marcia,

Thank you for choosing us to host your vow renewal and for taking the time to review your experience for TripAdvisor. We're pleased to hear that our staff was able to make an already a memorable occasion even more special for you and your spouse. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice staff, clean and newer hotel with a good location. Good WiFi and strong signal. Plenty of stuff within walking distance so you do not need your car after you are done for the day. Only negatives would be slow car retrieval and slow serving of drinks etc for breakfast. Very nice hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is within walking distance of many shops, restaurants and the waterfront. Very clean hotel with friendly staff. They do not have self parking on site but there is a city parking lot right across the street. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel is very nice. It's very clean, the front desk staff was very friendly. No real complaints about the hotel except it is exceptionally overpriced at $250 a night. Portsmouth is a very small town. There is no need for a room in a hotel to be $250. I only stayed here because it's where the guests of the wedding I was attending were staying here. The location is great but that doesn't rationalize the price in a town like this.

I never Valet park my car. The Valet staff knew this, as I asked a lot of beginner questions and was hesitant to hand over my keys. My passenger side window is very finicky and between moving my car from the doors to the closest lot, they felt the need to put the window down... and then couldn't get it back up. I was then blamed by Valet staff for not informing them the window had a problem. The goal is to drive the car from point A to point B. Why would touching the windows have been necessary? It's not. I would have no reason to think this was an important tidbit to tell the Valet. I could totally understand explaining a problem with some driving function but touching the windows was unnecessary. The WORST part about this was that no one ever tried to contact me to let me know the window was down- no call to the cell phone, no call or message left at my room etc. Had I not requested my car that evening, it would have been left in the lot with the window OPEN ALL THE WAY all night! That is simply not acceptable. On top of that, the guy I was dealing with at the Valet did not seem to care at all about the situation. He made no attempts to even help me try to get the window back up nor make arrangements to help me get it fixed at a garage or something. The only person who helped me was a guy who hadn't even started working at the hotel yet! Luckily we got the window up, I wasn't late the the wedding I was attending and the front desk was kind enough not to charge me for the Valet parking ($18?!) because of the issue, but this is something that should have been handled MUCH more appropriately. A little bit of effort on the initial Valet's part to try to contact me when he saw the initial issue or even help me would have gone a long way.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Holly,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer valuable feedback. I sincerely apologize for the service failures you experienced while using our valet service. As of June 1st, we have enlisted a new valet company to provide this service to our guests and hope you'll give us another opportunity to provide you with an excellent stay. I encourage you to reach out to me directly at the hotel so that I may compensate you for your trouble. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you.

603.373.2140

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Excellent hotel. Very clean and SUPER staff. Best location in the area. Everything worked including everything in the gym. Pool was super clean and lots of towels. No complaints. Will return there. Did not eat breakfast there but it smelled very good

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient downtown Portsmouth location, clean facilities, and accommodating staff. We value your recommendation and look forward to hosting your next visit.