“Pleasantly surprised in Portsmouth”

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Tucson, Arizona
“Pleasantly surprised in Portsmouth”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We had a late night check in at this hotel on our way to Maine. Staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and comfortable. One negative was the parking. Free parking for the hotel is on the street which is difficult to find. If you can't find a spot on the street you pay for valet parking.

Room Tip: We had a room at the end of the hallway on the third floor. We did not hear a bit of noise at night...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRANDERSON2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Walking distance from the harbour, restaurants and attractions, this hotel is in a great location.

My room was a very spacious corner room with views over the quaint neighbourhood.

The bed and pillows, shower and towels were standard HGI fare - just okay.

The room had a microwave, fridge, Keurig coffee maker, work desk & chair, free wifi and easy chairs, but no iPod dock.

Breakfast wasn't included with the room but was available and it was decent hotel food, but with so many restaurants nearby I suggest you venture out and explore the fabulous food scene.

There's valet parking for a daily fee, but also a parking station on the corner that charges $0.75/hr.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ThePackedBag
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Everything is expensive in Portsmouth. This is the best HGI I have stayed in in the Northeastern US. I travel lot for work and often stay here on my way home from Maine because it's nice to break up the drive and walk around Portsmouth. This doesn't feel like your average HGI. It's more high end. But it is a chain hotel so for those looking for luxury, look elsewhere. The front desk staff were very professional and the place is clean- often hard to find when you travel to a lot of small towns and cities. Parking is a problem throughout the city so having the choice of a valet is nice. The valet was very accommodating when I checked out and kept my car all day so I could walk around and shop (at no additional charge. I suppose $18 might seem like a lot to some but when compared to Boston or NYC it's not. Don't bother with side street meter parking unless you want to run back to your car every 30 min and put quarters in the meter. I have stayed in the other chains in Portsmouth and will come back to this hotel whenever possible when the rates are not cost prohibitive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Oakland, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2014

For my business trips I always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Portsmouth. The rooms are clean and the staff is courteous. Walking distance to all the restaurants and bars in Portsmouth. Breakfast was good with multiple choices and the bar area is comfortable to have a drink in. For folks that may not know the valet is $18 a day.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are bigger than the average hotel size rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is hands down the worst Hilton or HGI that I have ever stayed at. First, the $18 valet parking is a HUGE ripoff for downtown Portsmouth. You're better off parking in a public garage. The valet drivers are courteous but they are a third-party company (not Hilton employees) so they can't really address any concerns you may have. They tend to park your car relatively far away from the hotel, and consequently, it takes a pretty long time to get your car. They claim you should allow at least 30 minutes for your car to be brought to the front, and to me, that sounds totally ridiculous.

The air conditioning in my room was broken and it was significantly cooler in the hallway than it was in my room. I complained to the front desk three times. They sent a maintenance guy up, and he was friendly, but not very helpful. He told me that the air conditioning issue was common at the hotel and that he sees the problem a lot, but that they "do the best they can but can't guarantee it will work" (-- really??). As a result, it was way too hot in my room, and I had difficulty sleeping. When I asked the front desk if I could be moved to another room, they told me they were oversold and could not accommodate any changes. My refrigerator didn't work either, and I was told that would be addressed, but it never was. My shower was covered in black mold and the showerhead was just awful (it came apart when I tried to adjust it). The front desk did not at all see fazed by my dissatisfaction.

All in all, I will never, ever return to this particular hotel. It seems like management really doesn't care about the customers. I really don't understand the other reviews claiming this hotel is the best in Portsmouth, because that just can't be true, especially at the nightly rate. Find something else, trust me!!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank apg703
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for offering valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. I'm glad that we had the opportunity to discuss your experience and compensate you for your dissatisfaction. We hope you'll visit us again and give us another opportunity to provide you with a 5-star stay.

Best,
Kevin Walker, GM
NH
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Took my gf out for a night out and stayed here. I always like feeling welcome to a place and this place makes you feel that way from its great customer service at the front desk to the room. I am a huge fan of there pool and hot tub both were very clean and in a great room. Will come back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn is the best in Portsmouth. The rooms are well appointed and the public spaces are comfortable and welcoming. The service is impeccable and the location can't be beat. The breakfast was made to order and served to our tab would highly recommend the Hilton for both business and personal stays.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Johston,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star rating on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear that you consider us to be the best hotel in Portsmouth—we have to agree! We value your business and are pleased that our well-appointed facility, impeccable service, and uneatable location have earned us your recommendation to the travel community for both business and personal stays. We look forward to hosting your next visit.

Best,