“Great Stay, will stay here again”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We spent 4 days the week of august 7. We had a studio suite, for 3 people (spouse, myself & 4 year old). The hotel is located near I-95, but far enough that you do not hear it,. Very easy to access, from highway. It is located in a business/residential area. There is a mall nearby for grocery shopping and farther down the road several larger malls such as fox run. We arrived 3 hours before check in, but there weren't any rooms available, we were offered a phonecall once it was ready. We just decided to do some sight seeing. We returned 3 hours later & our room was ready. Staff was very friendly upon check in. The room was very clean and we had no issues with pillows or towels. The cleaning staff was very friendly and did an excellent job. The breakfast that is included is very extensive, eggs, sausage, bagels, cereals etc. Food was always available and had attentive staff, ensuring it was clean and stocked. A supper buffet is also offered, it had one item with vegetables, we did not try it. We loved the location, in that you are a 5 minute drive downtown ( it is not in walking distance unless you are in good shape), easy access to I-95, to maine and beaches to the south.. The pool is average in size, and well stocked with towels. We used it everyday, and were the only ones in it, though it is cold. The exercise room had half decent equipment, though I did not use it. It has a business center with free access to the internet & printer. This was our first time in the area and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank agac

Reviewed 26 July 2009

This hotel is beautiful for the price. Full kitchen, very clean, updated decor. The hum of the a/c helped to reduce the noise from other rooms. It is about a mile from town (hence the low prices if you shop around). My daughter thought the pool was small (~the size of a back yard inground pool) and no hot tub. There is a gym with Precor brand (nice) treadmills etc. and a long, private dog excersize area behind the hotel (though no fence). There is a free shuttle to town if you need it, though we did not use this feature. We enjoyed the Portsmouth historical channel on the flat screen tv at night, walked to a neighborhood playground at the end of the parking lot. Great breakfast bar and week day dinner buffet, good for picky kids and alot of variety. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank dsajill
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Always the same at Homewood suites. Nothing all that fancy, but good/friendly service, and a very clean and spacious room. Unlike the other reviewer, I didn't look behind and under the furniture :>, but who does? Stayed for two nights. They say its a mile from downtown, but that's a bit of a stretch. If you want to go downtown, you're driving or taking the complimentary shuttle. People also seemed to like the free evening snack and breakfast, but we didn't partake. Couldn't beat the rate as opposed to the ones directly downtown, as we saved close to $200 over two nights. Portsmouth is a great area. Free wi-fi too.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NE-skibum
Reviewed 18 May 2009

First of all, let me say that the hotel is located in a nice subdivision area just about 5-10 minutes from the downtown area.

The hotel does have a complementary shuttle that will take you within a 7 mile radius (so you can get downtown from the hotel with no car)

The front desk area is invitiing and Mary at the front desk was very helpful throughout the stay.

We had two rooms one being a 2 Bedroom Suite and the other a studio suite.

There is a basketball court outside (lighted) as well as a 2 BBQ's outside as well that you can use at anytime if you wish.

The breakfast in the morning was nice and the person serving the area was very cordial.

Pros:

Within 2 minutes of a grocery store
Within 10 minutes of a mall
Numerous restaurants located between the grocery store and mall of all different types
Located 5-10 minutes of downtown (depending on traffic lights)

Cons:

One day my parents room was not serviced and they had to call the front desk in the evening to get at least some clean towels.

There was never a piece of paper or a pen in my parents room the whole time.

One night we were outside around 10pm playing basketball, and i had called the front desk at 9:30 and asked about putting the lights on and she said sure.

Well around 10:15 p.m. a guy from the hotel i'm assuming came by and said hey you know the court is closed, i was like it is, I just called and had the light put on.

He said well it closes at 9pm, i said well why didn't the front desk know that, he was like i don't know but people have been calling complaining that your making too much noise and they want you to stop playing.

Well first of all the court is in the parking lot area away from the rooms and playing whiffle ball there isn't that much noise that is made.

So we were like okay whatever.

Well, assuming he would turn off the light etc after we left, did he do it???? Nope it stayed on until 1am.

Oh yeah, and the internet in the room was awful, two minutes to load one page at a time.

Otherwise, i would stay at the hotel, since those things can be overlooked however, i would look to stay downtown next time to see the difference in price.

Pets are allowed for a non-refundable fee of $100.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank caneshockey31
Reviewed 3 March 2009

This hotel is not in downtown Portsmouth. (But not far) We had to use our car to go dinner downtown or to go on the restaurant lane nearby the hotel .

First at arrival, we were upgraded to a larger room, a two room suite(1 king bed in the first room and two queens beds in the second room with a full bathroom in each one) . The suite was very clean, flawless. The free breakfast was nice it came with a hot waffle maker. Pool was fine but a bit cold. On a down side, free internet access was slow, very slow. That's the only negative point i have to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I was overall pleased with this hotel although I had more than a few frustrating moments. It's in a good location, easy off the highway and to get around. The room was outwardly clean but if you look under furniture - which I didn't want to do but my daughter dropped something - you will see miscellaneous stuff and dust bunnies. The pool and breakfast were very good - my kids enjoyed both.

The main negative was that it appeared as though the cleaning of the room had been done a bit hastily as there was almost an empty roll of paper towels in the kitchen and just a few tissues in the bathroom on hand. When I went to make the pull out bed from the couch I saw a note for where to find the bed linen, in the closet. I looked in the closet, as well as every other possible area, but found no sheets, blankets or pillows for the pull out. I called down to the front desk at 7:30PM and was told the person who needed to get me the linen was out on a "van run" and there was no one else in the building who could help me (only 2 people were on duty). I would have to wait for her to return to get the linen. My daughter was extremely tired so she sat in the chair and proceeded to fall asleep - the other bed was already in use so she needed to wait for the pull out to be ready. At about 7:50 I called again to the front desk, the person was still out and I was forced to wait longer - I told the young girl at the front desk how unhappy I was with this situation as I had my daughter asleep in a chair. She apologized but said there was nothing she could do. Finally at about 8:05 the bag of bed linens arrived. I quickly made the bed and transferred my sleeping daughter.

Overall, the maintenance of the room needs to be better. The couch was also an area of concern, the cushions appeared to be soiled and worn. There should be a material developed that can stand up to the constant use and not show the abuse so obviously. The other furniture in the room looked good.

Lastly, if you're looking for a quiet sleep I suggest to run the air conditioner as that's the only way I could block out the late night conversation (bickering) of the people in the neighboring room.

I wish this review could have been more positive because the hotel is lovely, if only the room had been better maintained it would have been near perfect.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lmcintyre
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We stayed one night at the Homewood Suites, and were impressed by the facilities and layout. The room was big, with a separate kitchenette and living area. The decor was pretty standard chain hotel, but new, clean and comfy. The kitchenette is well equipped with a hob and microwave, huge fridge and dishwasher. We cooked our own meals, but there is a complimentary breakfast provided. We also used the gym, which is small but has all the basics. The only negative things to say about this place is that the location is not ideal, as it is some way from downtown, and the guys swigging beer from the bottle by the entrance as we arrived were a bit off putting. But it is excellent value for money, and very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)