“Skip Starbucks--Come here instead”

Breaking New Grounds
Ranked #1 of 15 Coffee & Tea in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The coffee is amazing. Grab a small table outside in the middle of Market square just outside, connect to the wifi and enjoy this quaint new england community up close and personal with the locals. Best location in the city.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

On a daytrip to Portsmouth, I stopped here for coffee about 2:15 PM, thinking that I'd beat the 3:00 PM crowd and be abe to enjoy a cup of coffee in peace and quiet. Not on this visit!

It was very crowded. I got the last table.

The noise level was unbelievable. The noise was bouncing off the brick wall and the plaster wall. There was nothing to absorb the noise.

It was not a relaxing atmosphere. I took my coffee and drove down to Prescott Park where I could enjoy it.

This has been one of my preferred places for coffee in Portsmouth, but I rank Port City Coffee Roasters, Caffe Kilim, and Kaffe Vonsolln higher.

In the warmer weather, there are outdoor tables. In the heart of Market Square, it's The Place to see and be seen.

If you found this review helpful, kindly click YES below.

2  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I stopped in today (3/23) to say hello to a friend who now works there. It was a bit chilly so I decided I needed a hot beverage to warm me up. I decided on a large pumpkin spice latte (pumpkin spice being something that you don't see outside of the fall). It came to 4.85 which seems cheaper than Starbucks. I enjoyed watching the barista make the drinks as I waited for mine. I appreciate the fact they have self service sleeve and lids. Overall, it's one of the better lattes I've had. The syrup isn't sickeningly sweet and doesn't overburden the espresso. It can get pretty busy but the staff keeps everything moving along so you don't have to wait too long.

1  Thank MovementandLocation
Reviewed 5 February 2014

this is my favorite stop for a really good espresso drink. they make some awesome foam! Espresso can often times be a little too bitter or burnt tasting but some people dont mind that taste. It would be great if they cleaned their machine more often or whatever it is that gives that flavor.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Excellent service, terrific lattes and very accommodating staff. I had a oatmeal raisin cookie and macaroon for desert.l Great stop after the theater.