“Good choice right off I-95”

Anchorage Inns & Suites
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were looking for a place to stop for the night between Bar Harbor and Rhode Island. Anchorage Inns in Portsmouth turned out to be a good choice. We stopped at a service area on I-95 and found a HotelCoupons booklet, which got us a walk-in rate considerably lower than the internet rate. The hotel was close to the highway and a short drive from the center of Portsmouth, The room was simple, clean and comfortable and the breakfast was adequate. We spent a lovely morning walking around historic Portsmouth and then continued on our drive.

Room Tip: Non-smokers should make sure to ask for a non-smoking room, as there is a wing of the hotel where sm...
1  Thank Zvi53

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This inn is well maintained. The rooms are nicely decorated. I suspect they recently remodeled. Room had a refrig and microwave. Room was just the right size and heating/ac worked well. They only negative would be the beds. The linens are real nice however the beds are on the firm side. Breakfast is included which is great for those on the go. Location is handy and price is very reasonable. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just of the highway and easy to find, it is also close to the centre of Portsmouth. There is plenty of onsite parking and a nearby dinner for evening meals. I had read some of the previous reviews and can only say that our room was roomy, clean, comfortable and contained everything we needed. I particularly enjoyed the attractive pool and hot tub area. The rate was very competitive and included breakfast. The staff were very helpful

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I always think very carefully about giving a rating less than a 3. With that being said, this hotel is deserving of the 2 rating. This is our third stay at this hotel and it seems to be getting worse with each stay. In general, the grounds are clean as is the public space of the hotel. It is, however, dated and in need of renovation. The trigger for me was the pink mold on the shower head and the tub that was grayish with soap and dirt and chipped enamel. In my opinion, this room should have been taken out of service for the appropriate cleaning and repairs. I did stop at the front desk and tell the manager on duty about the situation and even offered a solution to clean the tub - Mr. Clean Magic Erasers do a great job on this type of dirt. After being gone all day, we came back to beds that were not very neatly made and a bathtub with hair still in it from morning showers. In fact, one of the beds was not even touched by housekeeping. The breakfast offered is okay unless you have food allergies - no options for gluten free, egg free or dairy free. All in all, $149/night for this establishment is overpriced.

1  Thank Smnuws
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The room was neat and clean. No biggie. But the desk maager was awesome. We were planning our next stop and she was very helpful with restaurant ideas, directions and just simply very down to earth. Her suggestions were great too. We will come back.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I'm new to the whole trip advisor thing, but I wanted to be sure I shared my opinion of this place as it was an AWEFUL experience. My husband and I stayed here a few months ago when we were in town for a wedding, and this place is just terrible. The pool was probably the only good part about the whole hotel. We had a major problem while we were here and we brought it up to management, and the manager cared less; basically, the worst management I've ever seen. Don't waste your breath on this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lyndsay P
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This motel is privately owned. The room was very clean; the bathroom had recently been updated with white bead board walls below wainscoting. The bathroom was larger than most hotels. The furniture and carpet looked new. The pool and spa were nicely decorated and clean looking. The breakfast was good. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful on directions to the downtown area and helpful info about parking. We booked this location after another booking fell through and weren't disappointed. It is just off the interstate and convenient drive to the historic/ waterfront area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple