“Convenient location, good place to stay.”

Anchorage Inns & Suites
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My family stayed at the Achorage Inn for 2 nights in December. The front desk staff were very nice. The free continental breakfast was very good. The pool was nice and the waterfall hot tub was a bonus. The hotel overall was very clean. Our room had two queen beds, desk, drawers with TV stand, chair and a free standing closet. The bathroom was very small with a tub and toilet. Sink was outside the bathroom. The room was clean and neat. I would suggest some updating as the wallpaper showed signs of peeling at the seams in several places, especially in the bathroom. For our packed weekend and only sleeping at the hotel, it was a fine place to stay. Access to Portsmouth's downtown is beyond walking distance, but the location at the traffic circle makes it a fantastic launch point. Overall, I would gladly stay again. I did sneak a peak into one of the suites and another guest confirmed that the suites are very nice. I may have to look into that for my next trip to the Portsmouth area.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Peter S

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is my second time staying here and this time was even better than the first. They gave me a good deal on a jacuzi suite for my wedding night and even called the room after we checked in to see if there was anything we needed. Both times we stayed we used the indoor pool and hot tub. The breakfast area looks nicer than last time...they seem to always be upgrading! The room was wonderful, really spacious and clean. I love love love the fireplace! I didn't find out there was a sauna until I checked out otherwise I would have definitely used it. The people staying next door were talking loud at night but they quieted down after the front desk called them. I'm always amazed at how friendly and down to earth the staff is. Can't wait to come back again soon!

Room Tip: I've stayed in the regular rooms and in one of the suites and loved both.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KayKayMcC
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This Location is right off I-95, minutes from downtown and about the same from Kittery Outlets in Maine. We shopped during the day and enjoyed the nightlife downtown. Rooms are very clean, staff is extremely friendly, especially Tom who gave us a list of things to do before our dinner reservations downtown. Breakfast is abundant - Internet is free and they even have a heated pool which i didn't use but plan on doing so on our next trip. Thanks to the Anchorage Inn team.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here with my family this past weekend, and I must say I was truly happy and impressed. Though privately owned it has everything you can expect from a major chain. the front desk staff was extremely friendly and was enquiring often as to how they could help make our stay more enjoyable. We stayed in a room with two beds and the room was very spacious and everything in the room was functional. the Housekeeping staff also did an exemplarily job in keeping the room clean. The swimming pool was beautiful, and I also got to see their specialty suites, which are truly gorgeous and each one looks different form the other. One has a rustic look and the other one has a contemporary design. Each and every staff we encountered was extrememly courteous to us.

Room Tip: Stay at the Haven Suite!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DNTT
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my grandmother from sunday november 10-wednesday november 13. My sister also came over to hang out for a few hours a night. Both of our backs are totally covered with very painful bed bug bites. We both had to go to the doctor and miss work over this. I noticed someone else also wrote a review about the bed bug issue so I'm writing one as well. My sister called and reported the problem an was told 'we've never had that problem here before' so she brought up the reviews as far back as August of last year reporting bed bugs and was then told 'last time this happened we just shut off that wing of the hotel'. Are you kidding me?! DO NOT STAY HERE!! If I could include a picture of what these bites look like I would but unfortunately I cant. Please take my advice and steer clear because these bites HURT.

Stayed: November 2013
10  Thank Ririnelly
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have stayed here several times in the past couple of years - LOVED IT. The staff was friendly the hot tub was so nice. This past stay however - was a totally different story. Sad to say that around 1am when I was moving over my pillow I saw a couple of bugs running around on the bed. I turned the light on for further investigation and found a ton of bed bugs (I googled a photo image to be sure) all over my white sheets on the bed! Under my pillow - on top of the sheets, under the sheets. I jumped out of bed - and then found more on the other bed! So I quickly got up and went to the desk - I explained they had bed bugs - his response was less than satisfying. It was almost as if he was not surprised. He offered to switch out my room - and give me a percentage off my stay?!! I said that was not at all a good option. We ended up leaving the hotel around two am for another hotel. Anchorage Inn did pay for our stay at another location which I appreciated, however I do hope they take care of this bed bug issue because I could not imagine taking my children to a hotel and having bed bugs! It was absolutely disgusting and nothing worth paying for. It takes months and a lot of money to get rid of bed bugs - I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Travelor L
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were looking for a place to stop for the night between Bar Harbor and Rhode Island. Anchorage Inns in Portsmouth turned out to be a good choice. We stopped at a service area on I-95 and found a HotelCoupons booklet, which got us a walk-in rate considerably lower than the internet rate. The hotel was close to the highway and a short drive from the center of Portsmouth, The room was simple, clean and comfortable and the breakfast was adequate. We spent a lovely morning walking around historic Portsmouth and then continued on our drive.

Room Tip: Non-smokers should make sure to ask for a non-smoking room, as there is a wing of the hotel where sm...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple