US$261
US$206
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$248/night.

US$274
US$176
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$215/night.

US$184
GardenInn.com
  • Pool
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$224/night.

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Portsmouth(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$138
Quality Inn(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$163
US$196
Hampton.com
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$194
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewshot tubcontinental breakfastroom was cleanfront desk manageroff the highwaywafflesindoor poolthird floorstayed here for one nightconvenient locationclose to downtowncerealdiner
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed 1 night at the Anchorage Inn with my daughter. Got a good deal through Booking.com. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was great, especially the bathroom. Breakfast was nice- a decent offering, including fresh fruit. Right off the highway, but our room was quiet,

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

After reading several reasonably positive reviews of this property on TripAdvisor, I felt comfortable reserving a room here last week for one night. We could not have been more disappointed. First and foremost, when booking a hotel room we seek safe, clean and quiet. Secondly, our expectations for a stay in a hotel are correctly set by the cost. As for the Anchorage Inn & Suites, if I paid $49.00, I would have been disappointed. At $169.00, we rightly expected a better experience.

The room was subterranean (small half windows), dark and dank. The room's furniture, bed, etc., were all many, many years old and sorely in need of replacement. The bed itself was simply terrible....very soft and very squeaky. The bathroom towels were old and hardly smelled freshly cleaned. The room desperately needs to be refurbished. In addition, the wireless Internet (included in the room price) didn't work. The continental breakfast was a joke....terrible coffee, machine juice, some packaged muffins, white bread to toast, little boxes of cheerios....the hotel would be better off not pretending to offer continental breakfast.

When checking out, I let the three people at the front desk know of our disappointment with the experience of staying in their hotel and the response was nodding of the heads and "hope you have a good day." They seemed hardly surprised and/or very apologetic...their reaction was "yes, that's the way it is here." Also, one of them tried to justify our terrible experience by noting that we had booked the hotel just a few days prior to our stay on what was a very busy weekend, so what did we expect? I didn't even try to discuss this utterly illogical, irrational and just plain stupid comment with the woman who made it.

In sum, with regard to the Anchorage Inn, caveat emptor. At the rates charged by this hotel,

3  Thank Kevin G
Management response:Responded 21 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience that you feel you suffered. We strive to exceed all of our guest’s expectations every day. The lower level rooms were completely remodeled in 2008 with Thomasville and American of Martinsville furniture, new carpets, new walls coverings and new spreads and drapes. The rooms are bright, clean and well ventilated. We remodel several rooms every year and invest a great deal of time and money into the upkeep of the property. None of our rooms are more than a few years old at this point.
The continental breakfast is not a full breakfast. We strive to provide a nice light breakfast. The coffee that we serve is the same coffee that is served at many large resorts. We chose the coffee after many taste tests and input from many of our guests. We serve bagels, English muffins, wheat and white bread, three types of muffins, whole fruit, cereal and juice.
Our associates pride themselves on being friendly & helpful. Your experience with our front desk certainly is not the normal experience. I have shown your comments to the associates in order to make them better. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to take care of your lodging needs again in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

The doors and floors of the Anchorage are extremely thin, so your enjoyment of your stay greatly depends on the people around you, and more importantly, the people next door to you. Unfortunately, we ended up with 3 young kids (younger than teens) next door to us, while their parents were placed in a room not adjoining theirs (?). They were extremely loud during our whole stay, and the floor would shake when they would run around. We had requested to be moved but were told that the Inn was almost full and that we wouldn't be happy with the only room they could give us (which was on a lower floor and not refinished). The front desk assured us they would go and talk to the people in the room, but if they did, it didn't make a bit of difference.

Overall, it was a nice looking place but didn't have the infrastructure of a standard hotel. Even if I got a cheap rate online (which was the only reason I stayed here to begin with), I wouldn't stay here again.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

My wife and I just returned this past weekend from Portsmouth, where we spent Saturday celebrating our First Anniversary with Good Food, Scenery and Shopping. As a SPG Preferred Guest, we had a Deluxe King booked at the Sheraton. However, when we arrived at the front desk we learned that the hotel had overbooked. To make amends (and because they had a note that it was our First Anniversary), the Sheraton compensated our stay and put us up free at the Anchorage Inn. The Sheraton also provided us free parking in their lot as well as their Sunday Morning Breakfast Buffet (which is always good). Not knowing what to expect, we took the gamble and it paid off! The Haven Suite that we were given at the Anchorage Inn was absolutely wonderful. It was brand new and had a New York modern room feel to it (reminded me of the Westin Times Square). We had granite countertops and an island in the Kitchen area, plush furniture and modern decor and lighting with Big Flat Screen in the Living Room, and the Bedroom was large with a King Bed and another Big Flat Screen, ample roomy closet, and then there was the bath. The Bath was all stone with a Stone Shower with multiple nozzles and heads, a Jacuzzi tub, and a cool sink! btw, Flat Screen in the bath too that made for a relaxing tub experience. The staff was friendly and the property was well-maintained and clean. I noted the price of the room online when I got home and it was worth it had we booked it. The property is just 4 minutes from downtown. Our GPS found a back way with no traffic. Pretty sweet.

2  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I am back to New Hampshire by popular demand in beaches. I have traveled to very few hotels in the seacoast area, and because Anchorage Inn Suites is off the coast a few miles I knew i would be taking a risk with location.

However when I arrived, I was immediately greeted with a warm welcome from one of the gentlemen working at the front desk. After my room keys were passed to me, he mentioned the hotel ammentities (free bfast, gym, updated pool/jacuzzi room) and immedietly after asked if I was familiar with the area. This was great. Just a 25 second conversation about this lead me to believe I was a local. With downtown being only 2 minute drive from the hotel, I had plenty of spots to drink an ice cold beer, with a great entree at portsmouths newer restaurants called RiRas.

My hotel room was a standard 2 double bed room which was up to date, but after getting a view of the "haven" suite, i think its called. I am more ambitious to return to this hotel to only stay in this exquisite room.

Thank you to the front desk staff for such a great impression of your hotel. I am hoping to come in contact with Frank as I was told by the front desk how helpful this general manager can be for upgrading rooms if the upgrade is possible due to availability.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo