Howard Johnson Portsmouth
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Hotel Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
  • Pool
All reviewscontinental breakfastfront deskroom was cleancookiesbagelsoff the highwayliquor storeother hotelsplace to staybit datedbar harbortraffic circlenew hampshirehotel roomroundabout dinerstayed one nightthe breakfast area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Stayed overnight while traveling. Most hotels in town were sold out and the hotel was full. The front desk attendant was courteous even though he was clearly stressed and had many demands on his time. They could have used another person to assist guests especially when they knew there was a special event in town and all hotels were full. Room was adequate...clean and comfortable, but nothing fancy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We felt right at home walking through the doors. We were greeted with a smile and the quickest service we have experienced. The room was clean and sized well. Everything worked well and was fairly updated. It's location was close to downtown and to shopping.
We travel alot. Weekend getaways and site seeing. The service and location were excellant. My wife and I will be returning to this area and WILL be staying here again. To the people involved with the Inn....Thank you for making it a trip to remember. See you all again soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The hotel was clean and had all the amenities our short stay required. Staff was friendly and very accomodating to our needs. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here for 3 nights. At first we thought the hotel was great but because of how we got screwed in the end we will NEVER stay here again.

Pros of the hotel were decent rooms, nice sheets and mattresses, very clean. Needed a bunch of minor repairs like the AC was coming off the wall, the toilet paper holder was coming off, the wifi was iffy and some wallpaper was peeling. It was right off the highway and had a good amount of parking. Could have gone next door to holiday inn to swim in pool. The breakfast was absolutely pitiful. Soaps and shampoos were junk. Towels were just fine.

Upon arriving, we were told that a new system was in place for the hotel and not working properly. It took forever to find our reservation and then actually check in. One young man was working with what appeared to be a supervisor. As he checked us in, the amount we were to pay was brought up and it was going to be less than expected, we were thrilled. The amount was pending in my account that night.
When we checked out however, a reciept was slapped on the counter that was almost $200 MORE than what we were told we were paying. Trying to figure out what was going on, we asked for a manager and the less than enthused girl behind the desk says he wasn't in and that she had no idea when he was coming back. We had to leave and she said it would be handled and we would be charged the amount we were told. She didn't have the power to change anything.

Unfortunately that's not what happened, we were charged the incorrect amount that was 200 over what we were told while the original pending amount disappeared. I tried to call the hotel multiple times to get this straightened out and I have been disregarded and just completely blown off. When asking for a manager I get the same answer that he's not there and no one knows when he's going to be in next.

I AM DISGUSTED with how this was handled. I can't believe they would just blow a customer off like they have. We saved for a long time to go on a 4 day vaca and I feel like I was stolen from.

Don't stay here. Go somewhere that won't lie to you.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank OctoberLove
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Depending on your goals, this Inn works.

If you're looking for something seconds off of the highway, that's on your way somewhere, with close by restaurants and good sightseeing. Stay here.

If you like new carpet, new AC, new room amenities, etc. Miss this.

The service - at the desk was good. Could have been better on check out (the FedEx package with my name on it was not given to me - I had to ask, and then the desk clerk had a hard time finding it.

On the otherhand, the AC was awesome. You'd have to be blind to miss the hotel when getting off of the freeway (northbound). The sheets and bathroom were clean.

And if you've read others of my articles, the hot water was HOT and plentiful.

There was an iron and ironing board, as well as Internet and a mini-fridge in the room.

Breakfast wasn't so much of a breakfast. More of a bagel, coffee, self serve table.

I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the highway
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business