“Paul C”

Howard Johnson Portsmouth
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Was really Happy with the Hotel, Will at the front desk, think that was his name, made you feel right at home. Close to everything that we had plans on doing. Breakfast was Fine, for what was offered. would come again-- No Problems at all

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have arrived at the hotel at 22.45 with a reservation for a non-smoking room for me and my family (my wifw and 2 kids age 1 and 5). Our room was not kept for us and we were offered a smoking room that was unbearable to stay in due to a horrific smell of cigarette smoke. We were forced to drive to put the kids and the luggage and the kids another hotel (about 20 minutes drive) in the middle of the night with 2 small tired kids due tothehotel's lack of responsibility. Terrible experience

Room Tip: Make sure they keep your reservation. An unreliable hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Uri,
I am extremely sorry for your bad experience. This is unacceptable and I apologize on behalf of the hotel. This was an error we were able to fix through our computer system so that this does not happen again, however, it was still too late. I was notified of the situation at the beginning of my shift and our front desk clerk was extremely upset. I do know he assisted helping you pack your belongings into your vehicle and he called on a local hotel and got you a room for the night. Although he did the best that he could, he was still very upset the next day. I would like to speak to you some more about this. If you have the time, please email me at sales@bestinnportsmouth.com or call 603-431-4400 and ask for the Sales coordinator. Thank you, and again, our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Best quality/price I have never got!!! Good breakfast, swimingpool, sport, Internet, near Kittery and Hampton beach. Wowwwwww!!! I'm sure I'll return the next time I have a trip nearby... I recommand this hotel for families

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Pros: Endorse other thumbs up reviews: excellent friendly service; very clean large room; surprisingly good towels; decent free breakfast; close to colonial town attractions; first class diner and state store closeby
Cons: A little hard to find, as situated above the highway, along with two other hotels; small parking lot; tough left turn out of lot

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Paul,
I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us recently. You mentioned that the Super 8 lets our guests use their swimming pool- we do not have a Super 8 nearby but the swimming pool you referred to is located at the Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn and America’s Best Inn have the same owner and our guests are allowed to use the Holiday Inn pool. They will also give a 10% discount off at their restaurant, Table 21. I agree and apologize that our breakfast room is too small. Unfortunately, this is the only space available for our breakfast area. If you have any suggestions to add to our complimentary breakfast (bagels, muffins, Danishes, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, toast, and English muffins) I would love to hear from you. In regards to the dresser drawer, if you could email me privately at sales@bestinnportsmouth.com, as to which room you were in, I will gladly take care of this for you if a maintenance slip was not done at check out. Again, thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family came here for vacation in late August. The price was right -- lowest cost and in a good location.

Pros: Staff is great; hotel is very close (5 min) from downtown and (10 min) from beaches; while no swimming pool on property, the Super 8 will let you use their nice facility with a room key;

Cons: Breakfast room is too small and not much variety (although free); room smelled very musty and was a little worn, but comfortable; dresser draw was broken;

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have used your hotel for the last 14 years. Knowing what to expect with the traffic, especially
during the time we travel, which is Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, we have opted this
location for accessibility to wherever we were to travel to. This past Labor Day, having made our reservations in early July I spoke to Will concerning our needs. Upon our arrival, we met Will.
He remembered our conversation the month earlier! I have to agree with CrazyCatLadyVT, as far as his genuineness. Observing his proficiency in how he checked people in, to his baked cookies and plentiful urns of coffee, he was amazing to watch. His concierge knowledge was most welcomed. Jen was our housekeeper and did an excellent job everyday. This is truly a diamond in the rough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you so much for your continued business. Our staff does an excellent job meeting the needs of each and every guest that we serve and I am grateful you reviewed us upon this. We are also glad you enjoyed our fresh baked cookies and fresh hot coffee. We are delighted you got to know our remarkable staff, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We came here just for one night. It was very busy so they only had smoking rooms left. We got several keys so we could have smell the rooms and decide to stay or not. For a smoking room they didnt smell too bad. We got a rebate because it was a smoking room which was very nice.
We had a good nights sleep and would stay here again no problem

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family