“Nice Place”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights during a short trip to NH. The location was convenient and we used our GPS to get all around town. No problems at all. The hotel was sold out both nights during our mid-week stay. They had to turn many people away. It is your typical Holiday Inn, though I was extremely thankful to stay here given the awful hotel we had stayed at the night before in Kennbunk, ME. Beds were comfortable, everything was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

There is a restaurant and bar onsite, and they do offer room service. There is a diner type restaurant that takes 30 seconds to walk to from the hotel which was also great - you get a ton of food! There is a KMart and liquor store nearby too if you need to pick anything up during your stay.

The only negative about the hotel was the elevator. They really need two for how busy the place was. We constantly had to wait, which seemed liked forever, for the darn elevator. All of the guests would complain and make jokes about it. The elevator does have a little t.v. in it which was nice to watch the Olympics during our trip up to the 5th floor.

I give them an A-. Good place for what you pay!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doxikittens

Reviewed 8 August 2012

The hotel is very clean the beds are extremely comfortable better than the ones next door at the best western and comparable to the Hampton Inn and Fairfield inn just a few blocks away.
The location is in a good spot right by the circle so it is convenient to go all directions and extremely quiet in the rooms I normally would pass over a hotel like this being so close to the highway.
The rooms do not all have Microwaves and refrigerators i did request a refrigerator form the front desk and did get the last one but it did look like they went dumpster diving after the UNH kids got out of school. The refrigerator I had in collage was in much better condition. (Other 3 hotels above all have acceptable frig/micro) The room only has Wi-Fi and was extremely slow could not stream video and to stream a video from Netflix was completely out of the question unless you hotspot tether your own cellphone. By far the slowest internet I have seen at a hotel in at least a decade. The internet I had in the B&B I stayed at in Rangeley Maine last month had better Wi-Fi then this hotel.
If you are traveling with a female you will need to request more towels, but this is very common in hotels today smaller towels and less of them. Hair dryer is in room it was a little hidden under sink in a black bag. The TV in room was a good size and is a flat screen(very amazing since the Wi-Fi server is from 1995). Restaurant is on property but no continual breakfast is provided only hot water and reg. coffee any Decaf.
If you are just stopping for the night to get sleep this is a good choice but not the best value in town I would only stay here again if everything else is sold out.
my pics
#1 Residence inn by red hook (not cheep be if I am in town for a week no question best value with all the extras),
#2 Hampton Inn (free washer and dryer is a big plus, continental breakfast and happy hour during week)
#3 Fairfield inn (nice beds and continental breakfast.)
#4 Best Western (nice rooms just as long as you are not by indoor pool smell, Wi-Fi and Ethernet for best internet connection in Portsmouth)

Room Tip: rooms was 1 star due to WiFi looks like they updated hotel recently but really dropped the ball on...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank FrugalTrav1
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for business. Was given an upgrade to a suit on 6th floor ( need to tale elevator to 5 and then walk up to 6). Rooms are ok (although furniture is a little dated), there is only one elevator, and there are only cardio machines and a small pool for exercise. Service at front desk is great. Restaurant is a little below average for quality of hotel food. There is a slight musty smell in hallways. All in all I would probably not seek this hotel out to stay again untill some serious renovations and remodeling occure to bring this holiday inn to the standards of some of the newer ones, but I have no regrets in staying here.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I always thought that the Holiday Inn was a clean hotel! However...

Upon check in of this hotel, I asked the front desk if the hotel has had any problem with bed bugs, to which she answered me honestly, "Not this year. We have been certified clean." Good I was happy. As you can imagine I have a 3 year and a 8 month baby with me and I do not want any problems with bed bugs!

We were given a room on the 3rd flood. I walk inside and something caught my eye above the beds. I walk over and and found lots of Blood spots! It looked like some type of bug was swat dead! However, i could only imagine that this was the residue of the bed bugs that was there from the last time.

I walk out of the room to find a maid, and she was very apologetic to me and my family, and proceed in cleaning it up stating that she did not see blood spots.

I was still willing to stay into this hotel. I went to front desk and asked for another room. Again always on the 3rd flood.

I walked in and AGAIN there was blood spots on the back wall of the beds!!!!!!!!!!! As i turned around I was shocked to see more blood spots in back of the TV!!!! At this time my husband asked for the maid (a different one this time) and she came in and was very rude with us, saying that this was a old hotel and thing like is somewhat normal!?! She also was saying (almost yelling) that it was coffee spots- when I asked since when is coffee red, she turned around and walked out of the room.

With the rudeness of the maid, and TWO rooms with these blood spots, I walked directly to the front desk, who knew what was the problem, and she BEFORE I even asked for my money back, she was already in progress in giving me a refund!

I was traveling with another family and they asked for their money back as well.

I understand that maybe there was no bedbugs in the hotel, but I strongly suggest the following:

* Get a cleaning crew who knows HOW to clean, not just the basic stuff!!!!!!!
* Get maids who are not rude.

Room Tip: Make sure if you ask about bed bugs, and look carefully at the room....
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Portsmouth NH on July 26, 2012. It is exactly what you would expect from a Holiday Inn. Slightly below what you would expect...i have seen some really nice HI lately. This one is still good but some of the newer ones really are a step above the average HI. Front Desk Staff - really nice and welcoming. Decor - nice. Rooms - nice - View a traffic circle....it is what it is. Bar - nice - Restaurant was nice - we only had breakfast there and it was good. More on the rooms - Flat Screen, comfy (buy noisy) beds. The beds squeaked - but only when you sat on the corners. Pillows were comfy, bathrooms were really small, showers were just OK, bathrooms were updated though...just small. If i had to complain about something - i would dig deep and pick the elevators....they only had one and it always equaled waiting for a few minutes....they were always full - it was like they needed two elevators. The hotel had a pool - small pool but kids loved it. Overall i have to give it an average - just because it is what you would expect - nothing jumped out and said rate me higher...and i was looking! enjoy!

Room Tip: as for a room not overlooking the traffic circle...
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed here for one night for a wedding on a Saturday night. Room was very nice and very clean. Beds were comfortable and made with labeled pillows for soft or firm. Nice touch. Check in was easy and front desk person was very pleasant and helpful. We did notice a slight smell in the room (I thought it was smoke but my wife thought it was musty). Location was right off of the highway and only 10 minutes from downtown Portsmouth. I know they only had coffee in the lobby. They seem to have room service but I wasnt aware of any breakfast area. There was a nice diner next door anyway. I would definitely go back to stay.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Last minute booking due to a family issue and used Priority Points because of high in-season rates. Based on the location and several other "lower" quality hotels within a few blocks I was very surprised and very pleased at the quality of this property. Very efficient check-in, very "upscale" lobby, very appealing and competetive restaurant menu offerings and prices at the on premises restaurant. Best of all - an excellent, well designed room. I was with my wife and son and we had two comfortable queen beds with a choice of soft or firm pillows (nice touch), a real bathroom (no toilet and sink in separate rooms) and adequate lighting. WiFi and a mini-fridge - couldn't be better for our one night. Very convenient to all restaurants and all other ameneties. I would definitely consider this hotel if I was in the area again.
Well done Holiday Inn!!