“Basic room with a lounge/restaurant”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Boston area
“Basic room with a lounge/restaurant”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

It's a Holiday Inn - clean & cheap - basic 2 double beds with a TV, and a small bathroom.The good news is, there's a lounge! So, if you come in tired and not wanting to search out a spot for a sandwich and beer - it's here. Bypass the restaurant area, it's the same menu, and head to comfy chairs in lounge. We had the California Chicken sandwich and a couple beers - perfect. WIFI is free but is a pain if you are going to be in and out of hotel during your stay because if you leave HI you have to relog in with special username & password in safari, every time. Free coffee in the beautiful lobby in the morning was great. This hotel is right off the highway - good travel pitstop, overlooking highway.

Room Tip: Forget the in room little coffee maker with no cream - head to lobby for free coffee!
Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dedham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Myself and 3 other friends were going to Portsmouth NH for a concert and wanted to stay the night. We did not want to spend a lot of money, but cleanliness and sleep quality is still important to us. I had stayed at a Holiday Inn in Palm Beach Florida a few years ago, and remember being very impressed with the hotel. I found a room at this Holiday Inn in Portsmouth NH for $99 for a double queen room, which was perfect.

From start to finish, we were all incredibly impressed with this hotel. First of all, and this is a big thing for me, there was no surprise Resort Fee, which I can't stand. So that made me happy! Check in was a breeze, and the gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant. The lobby was very comfortable and clean. Our room was large, had very comfortable beds and was very clean. One thing I love about Holiday Inn's are the pillows - they give you a selection of hard or soft. Large TV, refrigerator and coffee maker were all in good working order.

The only thing negative I have to mention is the size of the bathroom. Yes, it is clean, but very small. And the tub looked like it was time to replace. For such a nice room, I would have expected a nicer bathroom. This is the only reason why I am giving this review 4 stars instead of 5.

We had breakfast the following morning at the hotel restaurant, and we were all really impressed. The food was great. I'm told the bacon was amazing. I had eggs, homefries and 1 piece of french toast and I loved it. I'm told the coffee wasn't great, but I didn't drink it myself. The restaurant was very clean and actually quite adorable. I'm attaching pictures.

We were all very impressed with our stay here, and will happily stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Located on the Portsmouth traffic circle, this hotel is conveniently located near Fox Run Mall and other stores.The room was average, one sitting chair with ottoman, desk, microwave and refrigerator, plenty of storage space. Bathroom is very small and hard to maneuver around. We had an even numbered room which was not facing the busy traffic circle. If you don;t like traffic noise, ask for an even numbered room. This hotel has a restaurant and lounge,however, neither was open although they advertise hours 7 days a week. Luckily, a restaurant is right next door. It was a little inconvenient to have to leave the hotel to eat, since it was such a cold night! You may want to ask if the restaurant will be open when booking your stay if you need to eat. The front desk clerk did not tell us the restaurant/lounge was not open,but gave us free drink coupons which were totally useless! Our check in experience was only adequate at best.

Room Tip: Even numbered room, higher floor would be quieter
1 Thank nmcall
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear nmcall,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am glad that you liked our location. However, please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen G.
mass
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel , looks recently renovated. Very nice lobby, breakfast room service and heated pool. Rooms were very nice and clean and the Ed was very comfortable. Large LG flat screen tv and pay movies. In room coffee and coffee maker.

• Stayed January 2013
Boston, MA
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I got this hotel as a 3 star Hotwire deal. My first thought was, Holiday Inn is 3 stars? I'm not terribly familiar with the chain, but it strikes me as more of a 2 star.

The room was fine. Not tiny, not huge. Clean, desk had a chair (not sure what was up with the earlier reviewer's room), bathroom average size. The hot water was weird, it took forever to warm up. After 4 minutes I assumed it was warmed, got in the shower, scalded myself, and had to turn the water temp way down. And then a minute later, turn it down again. And then again!

There's a bit of a trek to the pool. The pool is kept near bath water temp, which was pretty nice in winter. Towels are provided. The pool area was very clean, but I admit I was wishing for a hot tub.

Oh, and the bed. The bed gave both of us sore backs. It was very soft, I'd say too soft.

Skip the hotel restaurant breakfast, which is adequate, and go next door to Roundabout Diner.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Red_Jade,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the shower, bed and breakfast. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I was a little nervous about booking the Holiday inn based off of a few recent reviews that were posted. Here is the thing. It is a Holiday Inn, not a five diamond hotel. With that being said, I didn't have any issue to the hotel. Very easy to get into town and 95 was a stones throw away. We had the 3rd floor facing the highway and didn't hear any noise from cards like other travelers spoke about. The room was clean which probably is the most important thing to me. I have stayed at the Hilton Portsmouth, and while this wasn't as nice, it was over half the price we paid for the Hilton. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone that stays in Portsmouth.

Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here for New Years Eve. It served its main purpose, being that it's a decent place to stay only 1 mile from downtown, however, the hotel itself is sub par compared with other Holiday Inns / IHG properties. Our room was updated and the bed comfy, as always, however it appears they didn't update anything in the bathroom other than the counter. The water in the shower was a drizzle, and much to my dismay, they only gave us shampoo and lotion instead of shampoo and conditioner. Luckily my husband was nice enough to run downstairs and get conditioner while I was busy rinsing out lotion from my hair....
The people at the front desk were nice enough. They gave us two drink tickets, which was a nice touch. We took a quick trip to the bar prior to catching our cab to town. I don't think I'd stay here again. It just seemed to be a bit off.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear KillaFee,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you like the fine location of our hotel in the area and found our staff to be nice. We would like to apologize for the issues you had with your in-room bathroom and amenities. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M