“Did someone "forget" that the pool area is part of the hotel?”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We happened to book the Holiday Inn when we went onto a site that boasts,"Get a 3 star hotel for a 2 star price". The lobby is new and attractive and the entire hotel seemed to be clean and updated. We were quite happy when we arrived at our room on the quiet even numbered side of the building. It was clean but the sheer curtain on the large window was torn. We unpacked and decided to go to the pool which is reached by going through the lowest level of the building. The pool water was cloudy -and very uninviting,so we decided we would just sit a while. Was the filter working? The furniture in this area was okay-not perfect-but okay. The floor around the pool was dirty,with what appeared to be dead brown bugs(or somekind of leaves?) here and there. We expected a good pool at a Holiday Inn and were very unhappy and told the desk clerk the next day when we checked out. She promised to get housekeeping to attend to the ripped curtain but made no mention of cleaning the pool area. The staff that we encountered ,in the lounge and around the hotel in general were all cordial, gracious and knowledgeable.. Lots of care has been put into maintaining the main hotel with an attractive lounge and restaurant area ,as well the guest rooms and corridors. The cheap ,dirty and unattractive pool area looked like it was totally out of place at this hotel and was a big disappointment!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hicocamp
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Hicocamp,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the compliments on our clean hotels. However, we do apologize the experience you had with the cleanliness of the pool was less than satisfactory. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope that the next time you come through, you give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and you get 2 free drink coupons when you check in, to use at the bar! It's a bit of a hike to downtown, but a cheap cab ride. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We went to the holiday inn for a 2 night stay with 2 other couples. All of us had nice rooms and comfy beds. The rates of this hotel were so reasonable and our rooms were very clean. No sign of bed bugs as mentioned in another review from around the same time as we stayed. Staff was also very nice and helpful, and because we have stayed there before and have a rewards card we received 4 free drink cards to use in the lounge. Lounge was nice although the bartender was not as friendly as I would of liked. Only thing that was kind of a bummer was that both of the couples we traveled with had a microwave and fridge in their rooms and we did not. So if that's important to you, ask when checking in.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have to warn others! The nightmare of infesting your own house by staying here is too gruesome to consider. Luckily for us we stayed in the room only 10 minutes before grabbing our stuff and running out!
Arriving here after midnight, we were tired and did a quick cursory bug check. We did not at first find any bugs [looking behind bed board, under mattress, under mattress cover]. However the disturbance must have got them moving because a couple minutes later one was crawling on our pillow.
The front desk staff was not surprised or very apologetic. My opinion is that they are aware of this problem already.
Be warned.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ch00sy_GAL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear ch00sy_GAL,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I never really stayed at Holiday Inn's so when I walked into this hotel I was surprised. The lobby was clean and welcoming and the staff was great. The blonde girl at the front desk was amazing She was great with directions and recommendations. At night the front desk man named Matt I think his name was, was very pleasant and so sweet! The food at the restaurant isn't the best, but reasonable for the price. Great location right off the highway and the rooms were very clean. If you are looking for a taxi service Portsmouth taxi is defiantly the service you should use. They were super professional and on time always. All in all great hotel for location, price and staff. Would defiantly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2013

It's a Holiday Inn - clean & cheap - basic 2 double beds with a TV, and a small bathroom.The good news is, there's a lounge! So, if you come in tired and not wanting to search out a spot for a sandwich and beer - it's here. Bypass the restaurant area, it's the same menu, and head to comfy chairs in lounge. We had the California Chicken sandwich and a couple beers - perfect. WIFI is free but is a pain if you are going to be in and out of hotel during your stay because if you leave HI you have to relog in with special username & password in safari, every time. Free coffee in the beautiful lobby in the morning was great. This hotel is right off the highway - good travel pitstop, overlooking highway.

Room Tip: Forget the in room little coffee maker with no cream - head to lobby for free coffee!
Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Myself and 3 other friends were going to Portsmouth NH for a concert and wanted to stay the night. We did not want to spend a lot of money, but cleanliness and sleep quality is still important to us. I had stayed at a Holiday Inn in Palm Beach Florida a few years ago, and remember being very impressed with the hotel. I found a room at this Holiday Inn in Portsmouth NH for $99 for a double queen room, which was perfect.

From start to finish, we were all incredibly impressed with this hotel. First of all, and this is a big thing for me, there was no surprise Resort Fee, which I can't stand. So that made me happy! Check in was a breeze, and the gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant. The lobby was very comfortable and clean. Our room was large, had very comfortable beds and was very clean. One thing I love about Holiday Inn's are the pillows - they give you a selection of hard or soft. Large TV, refrigerator and coffee maker were all in good working order.

The only thing negative I have to mention is the size of the bathroom. Yes, it is clean, but very small. And the tub looked like it was time to replace. For such a nice room, I would have expected a nicer bathroom. This is the only reason why I am giving this review 4 stars instead of 5.

We had breakfast the following morning at the hotel restaurant, and we were all really impressed. The food was great. I'm told the bacon was amazing. I had eggs, homefries and 1 piece of french toast and I loved it. I'm told the coffee wasn't great, but I didn't drink it myself. The restaurant was very clean and actually quite adorable. I'm attaching pictures.

We were all very impressed with our stay here, and will happily stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends