“LOVED IT”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
South Florida, Florida
“LOVED IT”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here 2 separate times; October 4 & 5, then again October 14, 15, & 16. On the 4 & 5, the rate was very pricey, so I used points. On the 14, 15 & 16, it was much more reasonable to my wallet.

This is a beautiful, huge hotel. Typical residence inn. It is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. There's 2 restaurants right by it. And, down the street a little there are malls, a Walmart, Trader Joes, and chain stores and restaurants. If you go the other way about 2 miles, there's a nice Target which is right by an entrance to I-95. Downtown Portsmouth is about a 10 minute drive (you can't walk to downtown from here). It is very convenient to the Interstate. The hotel has free parking and good free wi-fi.

My suite was perfect. It had a fully equipped kitchen, a separate living space, a nice-sized bathroom, and a super-comfortable king bed. The sheets were clean and fresh and wonderful.

There is a huge lobby where you have breakfast. The (free) breakfast is better than most - full buffet, and the people who work the area were very nice and very efficient. There's a nice fireplace in the dining area. There's also a good business center. There's a pool and gym (but, I use neither).

Within walking distance is a brewery, which is also a restaurant with music entertainment on some nights.

The staff is very nice and helpful. In particular, there was one lady at the desk every morning who was just so pleasant. I am sorry I didn't get her name.

I drove up to Maine for several days, then came back and stayed here again. I will definitely stay here again when I find myself in Portsmouth again. I loved the place!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bar-Harbor-Regency, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Portsmouth, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure that the associates hear your kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The staff here is very helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable, and clean. Like many properties, it could use some refreshing. Carpets and linens in our room were clean and like new. Some other areas could use some modern touches. Staff couldn't do enough for us, and went out out their way to help. Good breakfast, and re-filled promptly. Free shuttle to downtown at request. Would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I really like the Residence Inn chain and as I am travelling to look at different colleges it has been my hotel of choice due to the two bedroom set up and overall how generally pleased I have been. This hotel is ok, but clearly not up to the usual Residence Inn. I can say it in one word...dated. The hotel needs a face lift and that is evident in many ways. I won't list them all, as we all know what that means. When that happens, I am sure it will be very nice. Their included breakfast was very nice, and while small, had a decent number of choices. Until it is redone, just know you will be going to a dated and aging hotel and accept that up front.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
US
Reviewed 28 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Though not near the tourist sites, this is a great family destination. Roomy room with the ability to accommodate a family. We took a two room suite that had two baths and a living room. Stayed here two separate visits on the vacation since it was so good.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This used to be a really good place, but has gone downhill in recent years. On a recent stay, two of the exterior doors were inoperative, and it took over two full days to even get them looked at. No sign of repair to either one after another day.

Strangely, the breakfast offerings are pretty good on the weekend but poor on weekdays.

On the first floor, outside noise from A/C and electrical units is so noticeable that my sleep wasn't as good as it should have been.

The staff is obviously trying their best, but some of them are in a bit over their heads.

The location is good, the facility is mostly good, and there really is no excuse for this not to be a top-notch hotel like it used to be.

Room Tip: Stay off the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank braumeister
Glendale, California
Reviewed 13 October 2013

First of all, any reviews that mention the location as being downtown are referring to the OTHER Residence Inn in Portsmouth. This one is located in an office park a couple miles from downtown Portsmouth.

My daughter goes to boarding school in NH and we are regulars at the Residence Inn in Concord and there is no comparison to this place. We decided to stay here to check out Portsmouth on my husband's birthday after dropping our daughter at school.

I had reserved a 1 bedroom suite and the room is sorely in need of refurbishment. Throw pillows torn, the sofa was stained/worn and the place was just all around not very well maintained. I used an e-cert from the Marriott summer promotion and very happy that I wasn't actually shelling out $$ for this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elynchking
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2013

When we first pulled up the first thing we noticed were dirty windows. Quite offen we judge a restaurant by this first impression..We usually do not go in
However after a long travel day we were greeted by the very friendly manager and staff and they were cooking Hamburgers and Hot Dogs on the grill.. What a treat not to go out again..It was very good.The next day we had a very nice driver take us into town and promptly pick us up when we were ready to go home...Great stay so far...
Upon our arrival after a long tourist day we found our room had never been attended to..Not the worst thing I guess just dissapointed.. We called down to at least get some fresh towels sent up...(Had to call twice) We received some clean towels but when I asked for wash cloths she said the hotel was out? Our nice stay did not end well.. The women at the desk was apologetic but would have liked the manager to follow up...
There are too many nice hotels in the area.. We would not return to this one..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple