Courtyard Portsmouth
US$174
  • Pool
The Hotel Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
US$198
Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$157
All reviewsmarriott courtyardoff the highwayshuttle busshuttle servicefitness centerice machinedecent hotela nice place to staynew hampshirebed was very comfortablethird floorshort driveking roomdowntown areakittery outletsfeliciacoffeemaker
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We booked the hotel two weeks before our trip, called Marriott booking, checked it out online and everything looked fine. Arrived that afternoon after a long drive with a tired and hungry child to walk into Sheetrock dust, plywood, hammering and boisterous construction workers who were renovationing the front desk area, the lobby and the restaurant. The place was a mess. We were told we'd b given a nice quiet room away from everything. Went to check the room before unloading and found it was pretty much right above the work area with a balcony overlooking the dumpsters. Having received no notice of this and seeing nothing noted on the website either we called Marriott who were very good and found us a nice suite at the Marriott residence inn in town a couple miles away. Other than the place being torn apart and not being told it wasn't all bad but they really need to let folks know about major things such as this.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Race39car
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Wasn't expecting much. We were simply driving through on our way to Boston but this place blew me away.
Megann at the front desk was charming, giving us directions for some late-night grub. Even as we walked back in (much later), the Night Auditor (I didn't catch her name) was welcoming and helpful.
The room was FANTASTIC! The beds looked (and felt) brand new. The bathroom was spotless. Ignore the dated carpet and the shady elevator, they put their renovation dollars where it counts. And as a previous poster mentioned, the gym is top-notch. Big, well-stocked and CLEAN!
My only complaints are the loud in-room appliances (AC, fridge) and a somewhat unappealing breakfast offering (everything there is free at a Garden Inn).
I highly recommend this place if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Bring your workout clothes and a bathing suit
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This hotel met all of my typical Courtyard expectations: friendly, clean, safe and comfortable.

But for me, the surprise was in the fitness center which was by far the largest, best equipped and cleanest of any Courtyard that I have visited. Plenty of machines to choose from and big flat screens. This was not an "after-thought" to the hotel. So many times, hotels will stick a few machines in a converted room and call it a fitness center, but not here!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Our room had a broken sink. We notified the desk upon check in and they said they would try and find someone to fix it (being a Saturday). We went out and when we returned it was still not fixed, we called again and they claimed to have fixed it, but would send someone up but they had no one to fix it being a Saturday. The following morning when we spoke to the desk - they offered us free buffett brunch - we were meeting people for breakfast so declined.
When I complained, they credited us the cost of the buffet breakfast $29 (????) - We has breakfast at the Wentworth by the Sea and it was $14.95 per person and wonderful and much nicer.
I have written 2 letters to Marriott to complain about a room with an unusable sink - we could not brush our teeth and my husband could not shave - and Marriott has never responded. I am highly disappointed that even basic living conditions were ignored and we were still charged a ridiculous amount of money for this room.
Marriott should be ashamed of the way they handled this.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DAH777
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Not my first choice when researching Portsmouth, but Restaurant week limited my last minute options. Day shift manager gave us the early check in with no problem. Room was very clean (with the exception of the odd stains on the wall). I was leery due to the elevator, ice machine, linen closet combo outside my door, but when it mattered, it was very quiet. Then came the burning popcorn bag fire alarm exodus...30 degrees in the parking lot! Ended up being offered gratis breakfast for our inconvenience. All in all, better than I expected. Good job, Steve (night shift manager)!

• Stayed: November 2011