“A mile from downtown”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Bowdoinham, Maine
“A mile from downtown”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I got a good rate on a room through Travelocity. It was a nice hotel. Off the highway so, I would suggest recommending a room in back away from highway. They had a indoor pool, gym, restaurant and bar. The room was clean and a decent size. Little on the small side but, worked. All the rooms have mini refrigerator, microwave, iron and hairdryer. I wouldn't pay full price on the room so I would try Travelocity or other sites. The front desk staff was very friendly and professional. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room away from highway
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PortsmouthCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard Portsmouth, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Portsmouth Courtyard by Marriott during your recent travels. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us, and appreciate your comments regarding the professionalism and friendliness of the staff.

We hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have stayed at many, many Marriott Hotels in the past and was very disappointed in our stay at Portsmouth for one very, very important reason.
First, let me say that the hotel was clean, charming and inviting. The fitness room was wonderful, one of the best in my opinion. The pool was clean and welcoming. The bed was very comfortable, room clean and spacious enough (although the presentation of the TV on the SIDE of the bed, as opposed to, in front of the bed was a bit odd). The hotel location, good in my opinion.

Our disappointment that caused me great distress was not that the hotel's internet was down and remained down throughout our stay, but we were not informed of this upon our arrival and this caused me a great deal of avoidable problems. Now I understand that internet connections do go down at times and can take sometime to repair, HOWEVER, the correct BUSINESS and HELPFUL thing to do would have been to inform the hotel guests when they arrived that "the internet is down and we are making every effort to restore service as soon as possible". This enables guests to make other arrangements should they need to, for instance business, correspondence or what ever it may be. If I had I know the internet was down when we checked in I would have inquired about and visited the nearest internet cafe, coffee shop, eatery or library to complete my important work that required internet connection, instead of going to the market and then working out in the gym. By the time I was finished with that and sat down to do my work that NEEDED to be competed, it was too late.

When I went to the desk to inquire about this I was told by your staff that "they were working on it and hoped it would be up soon". By now it was about 6pm, my husband was napping, and we had dinner reservations for 7pm in town.
I was very upset and concerned re: the consequences I was going to suffer when this work was not completed on time. We went to dinner and all I could do was focus on the problems I had and was going to encounter because of the lack of communication the hotel staff. We went right back to the hotel, however the connection remained inaccessible.
I did not sleep well that night for obvious reasons and when I went down in the morning and inquired was told that the internet service was "back up". I then inquired when the internet service "went down" and was told that it went down at least 24 hours ago.
The hotel had been without internet service for 8 hours prior to our checking in and no one mentioned anything to us. As I said at the beginning my review, the professional and appropriate thing to do would have to inform the arriving guests of the difficulty. I do not understand how such an oversight could have occurred. Was it that the staff was not trained well or is it Marriott policy to avoid telling guests displeasing things at check in, in hopes that they do not change or cancel reservations. I find both situations disappointing at the very least.

Please make note that we had stayed at the Hampton Inn Portsmouth a few weeks prior to our stay with the Marriott Courtyard and the internet service did go down while I was there. The front desk personal told me he would look into it, got right on the phone to access situation and informed me that they were investigating the situation and would do their best to have it fixed as soon as possible. It was fixed within 30 minutes. I understand that all problems are different, however this man made no false statements as far as timeframe etc. and he was very attentive to the issue.
I think I even reviewed this hotel a week or so prior to our stay at the Marriott Courtyard.

Anyway, the accommodations were nice however not very trusting of this property.

1 Thank PFlynn006
PortsmouthCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard Portsmouth, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
I am sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay, both with the internet difficulties and also with the information provided from representatives of the hotel. Both areas have been addressed and corrected to ensure these issues do not repeat themselves.

As the need to be continuously connected the internet grows, we are constantly working on ways to ensure that our guests are able to get online with ease. Unfortunately, in this instance, we were not able to fulfill that expectation. We have since upgraded our wireless network to ensure that this issue has been corrected. We have boosted the strength and ease of connecting to the internet in order to provide the most updated internet experience, and am sorry that this was not the case during your recent stay.

We would love to have the opportunity to regain your trust, and it would be our pleasure to once again serve you should you be in the Seacoast area.

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

jamadelizmom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Annoying stay at this place. The internet was down the entire time we were there and honestly the staff could have cared less. They claimed it was a "corporate issue" but Marriott had no idea what I was talking about. Instead of doing something to make up for this annoyance like letting everyone have a free continental breakfast instead of paying $10.00 a person - THEY DID NOTHING!! By the way the breakfast was totally not worth it. Pool area was dirty, carpets were dirty and we found a small blood stain on one of our sheets. I would prefer to not stay here again. I will say the location was easy to get to. It is located right off 95. I would have given this hotel an average review if it was not for the internet being down.

1 Thank Maria J
PortsmouthCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard Portsmouth, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
We strive to ensure that our guests have a pleasurable and relaxing stay, in a safe and comfortable environment. I am sorry that you experienced any issues with our internet while on property, as I can understand your frustration when encountering such problems. We have just completed an upgrade to our internet, and hope that this will eliminate these types of problems in the future.

Should you be in the area again, please contact me directly so that I can assist with any reservation needs you may have. We would love to have the opportunity to once again serve you.
MA
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Near highway so a bit loud, not as close to downtown as it claimed to be, rooms are dated but clean. Front desk person was not very knowledgable. We paid with a Marriott rewards certificate and she didn't know what to do with it. Breakfast was mediocre and was $10pp where most Courtyard offer a free continental breakfast. It was not worth $10. The advertise a full bar but could not make any of the 4 drinks I asked for. It is VERY bare bones, no extras with this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
PortsmouthCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard Portsmouth, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Portsmouth Courtyard by Marriott during your recent travels to the area. I am sorry that during your stay you experienced any issues, and appreciate you sharing these issues so that we may continue to find ways to improve our quality and service.

Should you be in the area again, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to once again serve you.
Plainville, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Had to stop on business trying to make it to New Hampshire in a snowstorm and found this Courtyard which made me feel comfortable. Although a little dated, the location was great, the value was there, and I got a way better than expected salmon dinner which was amazing for a Courtyard of this size. Great job!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tropguy
PortsmouthCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard Portsmouth, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback, it is the best resource we have as we look for ways to improve both our product and our service. I am glad that our location worked well for you during the recent snowstorm we experienced, and that you were able to get a great meal in our Bistro. Our top priority is to ensure that you have a safe, comfortable, clean, and problem free stay.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity in the future to once again serve you!
New England
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is a hotel in need of a make-over. Needed a hotel in the area for a quick business trip. The room decor was old. It is next to the major highway. No noise compensation glass windows. I was NOT lulled to sleep by the whoosh of the traffic. It kept me up. In the lobby, cheap paper cut-outs of footballs and other sports motifs to promote watching sports in the bar. Cheap. Like a bad house party put on by C-list relatives.

Room Tip: My advice is to look to the newer Marriott in Downtown Portsmouth. I believe it is a Residence Inn...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Woopiedo
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the Portsmouth Courtyard. Many positives: Price was reasonable, location is very easy (right off of 95) and staff was very nice. Lobby is modern and comfortable and serves Starbucks in the morning. Pool was small but very clean and jaccuzzi was terrific. Room was great for three people. Room included mini fridge, microwave, personal safe, and coffee maker. Wish the beds were larger (two full size rather than double queens) but they were very comfortable. Overall the value was excellent! Would definately come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends