“Dirty, smelly room.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Rye B&B and Inns
Derry, New Hampshire
“Dirty, smelly room.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

No ice available. I couldn't use the coffee maker it was so dirty, and the sink had grime all over it. 2 inches of frost in the freezer. Rugs were filthy. Sheets and towels were so threadbare you could see through them. The room smelled of cigarettes so much we went out and bought two air deodorizers. Windows wouldn't open and it was extremely hot inside. The only good thing was we could bring our dog.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Paulavike
rosewoodatrye, Public Relations Manager at The Rosewood Inn at Rye, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Hello Paulavike,
We appreciate your response and thank you for your feedback. We have an ice machiene and have new housekeepers that have really stepped up. All of our carpets have been professionally cleaned and our new sheets are not threadbare as described. Our complete new management is making plenty of new renovations and soon we will have two events a month. We ask that next time you are in Rye to stop by and see all of the changes and give us some more feedback. We look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerley, Stephanie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
boston ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2010

I have stayed at ( chain hotels/ motels ) and they are all the same. This is a nice inn, the staff is very nice, room was clean, and quiet, they have a cozy cafe' on the property.Also they have a beauty spa onsite , which my wife loved. Will be back to stay here again,price is right. Thanks again for a great stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

I had just gotten into town the first hotel I stay in and it is a nightmare.Room smelled like
someone had smoked a pack of cigarettes in it just before i got there. Guy that greeted
us in lobby office was a complete jerk and showed little interest in us at all. The worst
customer service I have yet to experience in a service industry.Room was dirty burn holes in blankets..explains smell..was even there when we left in morning so we could tell him
what a hell hole his hotel was..

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LUND19
Hello LUND19,
We appreciate your review. Sine you were here we have been under completely new management that has used these reviews as the building blocks of our new renovations. The man in your review no longer works here and we have gone through each room to get rid of any blankets with burn holes in them and we have cleaned the carpets which got rid of the cigarette smell. We no longer allow any employees to smoke and have designated smoking rooms. Our new staff puts the customer first and we all ask that if you are in Rye anytime soon to stop by and look at all of our improvements and give us some more feedback. We look forward to hearing from you.
NH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

Just read the earlier scathing reviews and you'll get an accurate idea of what this place is like. In addition to what others have described, we also had a visit by police in the middle of the night (3:30 a.m.) They pounded on the door of the room next to ours in an attempt to locate another guest. Police action continued for some time. Safely home -- and still worried about bedbugs -- I've done some web research and learned that police are no strangers to the establishment. I am embarrassed to admit that prior to our last-minute stay there, I did not do my customary web research to see if the website was promising more than typically delivered. That's exactly the case. The place does NOT live up to the images/descriptions on its website. Do not stay here!!! People who recommend it are either a) The owner; b) Related to the owner; c) Delusional.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthBeachNut
Hello NorthBeachNut,
I apologize for the unforunate time that you spent here back in 2009. After reading your room we have taken care of the bed bug issue and we are under new management which has helped renovate this Inn. We hope that you come back for our Breast Cancer month in October and join in on some of the events taking place. If you have any other concerns or would like to talk to someone about what we have changed here feel free to give us a call. We look forward to hearing from you!
NH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

Do not stay here if you hate bugs! A few days into my stay I was awakened in the middle of the night scratching myself. I thought I was having an allergic reaction from something I ate because the itching was everywhere. Another day passed and the itching and soreness just got worse, to the point that I went to the emergency room. The doctor at the emergency room told me they were bedbug bites and it was the worst case he had ever seen. I went back to the hotel and looked in the bed. BEDBUGS WERE EVERYWHERE!! When I went to the management and told them, they didn't act surprised at all. I offered to show the manager the bed but he wasn't interested. now I know why after reading these reviews. It's very clear to me now that they were already aware of the problem. I asked for my money back and they said no. I also made them aware that I expected them to pay for the emergency room visit and again I received a very rude no. You would think a business owner would bend over backwards with embarassment to compensate a paying customer. After all, I had to go to the emergency room because I had bites on my face, arms, legs, torso and back. Plus the doctor gave me steroids to take because I was in so much pain. I had to go to the laundramat and wash everything and make sure I did not have any with me when I left. Nevermind the mental anquish of knowing all those bugs were all over me while I slept. Top that off with management that does not care. This is such a serious health issue. After reading other peoples reviews and my own experience I seriously believe that the board of health needs to step in and do something about this place because it's obvious these owners do not care about the people who stay at their hotel and they are not going to do anything about. please read all these reviews and PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Liked — not one thing
  • Disliked — the bedbugs, gross and the rude owners
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ihatebugs1234
Dear ihatebugs1234,
I am so sorry for the time that you spent here in 2009. All of our staff is new and we have taken care of the bug issue. We are all about customer service and if you would like to talk to someone about your stay feel free to give us a call. Your review was very helpful for our renovations and we hope you will stop by again and take a look at all of the changes! We look forward to hearing from you!
CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

My family and I have been coming here for many years.. Over the last 2-3 years the quality of this hotel has been declining.. We come every August and usually rent at leat 4 of the room.. This time we had 7. When we checked in and went to our room we noticed that the cleanliness was not up to par.. But what threw us by surprise was how dirty the room actually was. We had our 6 month old daughter with us this trip. About 10 minutes after we went to bed I woke up with my husband killing a bug on my shoulder.. Turned out to be a tick.. He went to the bathroom to kill it and when I turned over I found another one.. Of course we got up and turned on the light to see if there were anymore and to our surprise there were.. There was a pillow stuffed between the mattress and the headboard and when we pulled it out it had between 20-30 ticks on it. They we noticed them all over the mattress and climbing up the walls. We couldn't even go complain that night because the office was closed. We ended up staying a our friends room. Me, my husband and my daughter all sleeping in a double bed. Needless to say we were not very compfortable. When the office opened at 9am we went in to request out money back because of the issue in the room. The manager that was on duty was very rude and did not want to give it back.. After about 20 minutes of arguing she gave in but with a ton of attitude.. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else..

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello jpereira79,
I apologize for your time spent here at Rosewood Inn. We are under completely new mangement and have already started the many renovations on our list. We ask that you come on back and give the new staff a second chance! There are no more bugs (eek!) and we would more than happy to hear from you if you want to give our office a call.
Glens Falls, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

We have stayed at the Rosewood at the Rye every August for several years. We were very impressed with everything about this inn. The last couple of years I have seen a big decline in service and quality. We had an air conditioner that didn't work. They finally came to fix it and it was so noisy we couldn't sleep. When we asked for extra towels ( two came with the room) we felt like we were asking for the moon. Then they made sure we saw them mark it down that we needed two extra towels incase we thought about stealing them. The beds have always been terrible. They were hard and not the queen size that was advertized. The drapes didn't match the bed spreads like before. The drapes didn't close but there were blinds for privacy. The sun still woke us up too early in the morning even though the blinds were closed. There were guests in the next room that stayed up until all hours of the night sitting outside our window talking loudly, laughing, smoking and drinking.
I recently heard that the old workers were fired and the owner has made a complete turn around. Running the place herself. I hope so. It is so convenient to shops and beaches. I will give it another try this August. Hopefully things will be better.

• Liked — close to beaches and shopping
  • Disliked — No pool, no where for kids to play.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hello Elly123403,
We apologize for your stay at the Rosewood Inn. The owner has taken back her inn and we have all new staff that is more focused on customer service. We have made many renovations and plan to have two events a month between the inn and the mall next door. We hope that you stop by next time you are in Rye and give us some more feedback or feel free to give us a call!
Stephanie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rye
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
No photo provided
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#10 of 17 in Portsmouth

Been to The Rosewood Inn at Rye? Share your experiences!