Dunes Motor Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Best Western Plus The Inn At Hampton(Hampton)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$82
Travelocity
  • Pool
US$107
Atlantic Breeze Suites(Hampton)(Great Value!)
US$152
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a family friendly 1960's type of motel in a great location. Located directly across the street from the Jenniss Beach, the motel has a nice pool if you are not an ocean lover. Bathrooms have been updated, but bring a hand towel along as they only give you 2 thin bath towels and a couple of facecloths--not enough for 2 people when you are showering and washing your hair a minimum of once per day. A continental breakfast, set up in the restaurant on premises, is included and was better than expected: two selections of warm muffins each day, waffle irons and batter to make you own, cold cereals and instant oatmeal, fresh fruit, juice selection and coffee. There is a small refrigerator in your room and chairs/small tables outside of each room for snacking on the deck. Room decor is older but recently painted and with current window treatments. Window air conditioners leave a bit to be desired. It appears that people come back from year to year and some extended families were booked during our stay. In short, great location, older but acceptable accommodations, friendly staff and decent breakfast included.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank foodie50Ny
RyeBeach2281, Manager at Dunes Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

foodie50Ny,

Thank you for taking the time to review our inn. We appreciate your feedback. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you'll visit us again soon!
Just a hint if you do return......ask your housekeeper for more towels. She will gladly give to you whatever you need!!

Reviewed 18 August 2011

My observations - front desk person not very personable - not very 'welcoming'; my room smelled odd - was coming from the air conditioner - removed the filter (easy to do) and cleaned it - was filthy - helped considerably; rooms could use a good thorough cleaning, top to bottom; bathroom window wouldn't open - would have been nice; pool slightly murky, but that may have been normal, hard to tell; not impressed with restaurant right next door (where ''continental breakfast' is served - waffles were very nice). Best reason to stay here is (free) access to the beach right across the road - fine place to stay if you're not going to spend much time in your room. One more thing, parking was a challenge - space quite limited - no problem for someone who isn't handicapped, I suppose.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RVRSWMR

RVRSWMR,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We value guest feedback as it allows us to constantly improve upon the guest experience.
Your comments have been shared with the owner and the staff.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

When we first arrived, we noticed there was food left in the fridge from the previous guest. Not a big deal. Then we noticed little plastic razor head covers in the bathtub. We were willing to overlook this as well, even though it was obvious that the shower was probably not cleaned. However, on our second day there, we had to ask for clean towels and even though we left our garbage cans outside the door as a HINT, they sat there all day and night as the housecleaners walked back and forth, cleaning other rooms. I could have overlooked all this except on our final day there, while playing with my 11 month old son on the floor, I reached for what I thought was a hair tie, and found A USED CONDOM under the bed. For $150 a night, beach front or no, you would think these people would put a little effort into cleaning up the place which looks like it hasn't been cleaned, much less renovated, since it was built (maybe 1970?). By the way, the sheets didn't fit the bed, so we had to constantly pull them back over the corners of the bed during the night. ABSOLUTELY GROSS. Spare your children from this place. There were people smoking everywhere. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The front desk staff made no effort to compensate us for our two nights of filth and even seemd unconcerned about the condom once they realized it was under the bed and not ON the bed. Disgusting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Edie J

It upsets me to see reviews such as this. Since your stay, we have gone to box frames so nothing can be left under the beds. Your comments have been shared with the owner and the staff. Most of the housekeeping staff is new and those who are not, have been retrained.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Worst experience ever! We spent the night in Room 6 on May 24,2011. Our A/C and refridgerator didn't work, The room smelled musty and the desk clerk had to spray Febreeze to freshen it. The WIFI didn't work and I had to go to the office to use my laptop. We suggested we be moved to another room, but was ignored. When we went to the beach for a walk we couldn't get back into our room. The lock wouldn't unlock.We were locked out at 9:30pm and no one was in the office. Thankfully I could open the window (which was broke) to reach the knob inside. The next morning we went for the continental breakfast - no plates, no sugar for coffee... I talked to the owner and explained the situation. He just brushed me off and continued eating his breakfast. No refund or any type of restitution! All this for $137.00 per night!! I will NEVER return! I would recommend avoiding this place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank mmz1958

mmz1958,

We appreciate your feedback concerning your stay at the Dunes.
Not that we can make excuses, but I would like to address a few of your issues.
Just opening up after being closed for the winter, we really don't know of problems until a guest makes us aware of them.
The a/c and refrigerator could have been exchanged for ones that worked properly.
The office staff is always instructed, if we have the rooms, to move someone who is unsatisfied, to another room is they choose. So, I find it hard to believe that she would have just simply ignored you.
Prior to the season fully opening, we have limited office hours. There is, however, an emergency phone # on the office door. There is a live in maintenance person. Had you called him, he could have let you into your room. Reaching the doorknob must have been quite a feat.
There is a person attending the continental breakfast who would have gotten, for you, any missing items had they been made aware.
Since the owner never eats breakfast at the motel, as he doesn't come in until around 11 am, I'm not really sure to whom you spoke, but can assure you it was not the owner.
I hope this addressed your issues.

Reviewed 9 September 2010

Stayed for just one night - great location, literally right across the street from the beach!

The staff was very nice and very accomidating - helping me out with a couple forgotten items. The room itself... had a tremdous view, had a little TV, the beds were very firm, but ok. The room was clean. No coffee pot in the room. Plenty of towels. The walls were super thin... if you are quiet, you can hear you neighbors breathing.

Free breakfast was offered next door. There was a space heater & extra blankets in the closet area. The windows could open too - which I like.

If you aren't planning on spending much time in the room, other than sleeping - its ok. Noise from next door was annoying - but it was just normal noises... they weren't partying or anything like that.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple