“Use to work there.”
Review of Dunes Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rye Beach
Dunes Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Rye Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I worked at DMI and now stay as a guest. Seems to me these negative reviews come from people who are expecting the Wentworth. The Dunes is the last true beach motel on the NH seacoast. Plenty of fun for the family and kids. I also grew up in nearby Hampton. If you are looking for family memories, this is the place to go. Jenness beach is directly across the street and you can park your car and walk to Summer Sessions surf shop and store, get pizza on site, or have breakfast at the Rye General Store. Your kids are safe and the area is beautiful. I truly miss the staff and wonderful seacoast. Many awesome memories of being the maintenance man. The place is dated but always clean and the pool is freaking awesome after a swim in the Atlantic. My sincerest HELLOS to the staff. Tim and Pierre (the dog)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Tim M

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great rates fun for kids and if your not satisfied with anything during your stay Debbie and the other staff are willing to do everything they can to solve the issue

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Vigue91109
RyeBeach2281, Manager at Dunes Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Vigue91109,

Thank you for writing a review of your experience at our inn. I do, however, wonder about the comment "bring your own breakfast". We have a continental breakfast that has received many raves from our guests. I was wondering if you had the opportunity to try it? If you have some constructive criticism, we would like to hear it. We aim to make everyone's stay an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

What can I say. Office staff and crew are doing the best they can with a dilapidated mess. The kitchen staff is a different story along with the drunken bartender. As far as I could tell, all the kitchen help and Robin?,(bartender) live on site in a shack. The kitchen and bar are filthy, and I would never eat there again. I walked through the kitchen during free breakfast and was horrified by the lack of cleanliness. Do yourself a favor and get breakfast at the Rye General Store just down the street. Jenness Beach just across the street is the only reason this place is in business. The pool was also clean though dated. Drive a little further and go to Maine.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ron D

Ron D,

It truly saddens me to see a reveiw of this nature. We strive to ensure every guest has a positive vacation experience at our inn.
I can assure you that the restaurant is inspected each and every year by a representative from the state Health Inspector's office, and it passes each time or we could not open.
As for the bartender, she is a professional and has never been drunk on duty. She has been bar tending at the restaurant for 10+ years and is well liked by all patrons.
You are entitled to your opinion. All we ask is you use facts when stating them.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

One of the worst motel experiences ever. Outside looks okay, but the room was filthy, mosquito plagued, and WAY overpriced. Sleep in the car if there are no other options.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WestVirginiaSash

WestVirginiaSash,

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Had we known about the issues, we could have done something at the time.
As for the price, we are very competitive with the surrounding businesses in the area.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Might not be the grand palace some people are use to, but most should find this hotel a family friendly hotel at a reasonable rate for the area. which can be alot more costly at other places near by and not as close to the beach. Speaking of the beach, Jennes Beach is a quiet area with limmited parking available to the public, which is nice for the guests here. I have stayed here 4 times and never had a bad time. Maybe bad weather, but im not at work so its a GREAT DAY!!!!!! Dont quite understand the nagative ratings Brian C. Schodack, NY

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BEN C

Ben C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our inn. We appreciate your feedback. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you'll visit us again soon!

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had to stay on the seacoast during the Canadian version of Memorial Day.Our favorite hotel was booked,so we started looking around Hampton Beach,NH.The Dunes was 109. and I was tired so we stayed,The staff was very good.But what a filthy,ramshackle dump! I feared falling through the upper deck,the floors gave way so much.It just makes me sick that all these years they have cleaned out unsuspecting stayers and pocketed everything without so much as replacing a floor with a damn piece of plywood at least! I'd like to give the owner a piece of my mind! But they probably live in the carribean on a private beach.The beds were really hard,I kept waking up with the willies due to the filth and mattress. I was afraid something might be crawling on me.

Room Tip: Pay more,suffer less.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank NikkiP231

Nikki P,

It truly upsets me to see a review of this nature. We strive to ensure every guest has a positive vacation experience at our inn. Your comments have been shared with the owner.
I believe your words are harsh and uncalled for. I assure you that we make improvements every year and the owner is not in the Caribbean, but on the premises making sure his guests are happy. Had you brought these issues to the attention of the office or the owner, we could have addressed them at the time.
Please, when writing future reviews, use facts and not just emotions.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Spent three days at The Dunes Motor Inn.What a dump. Overpriced and filthy. The pool was well maintained and clean though dated. The maintenance man and his dog seemed to be the hardest workers there. Staff was friendly and helpful but smoked constantly, inside the office. Parking was a joke with $10 parking for the beach and stuffing all the cars that could be fit on the property. Went out for the day and did not have a spot to park when we returned. Spoke briefly to the owner Paul about our parking issues and was told to park out in the back lot. Had to wait for twenty minutes before I could even park there. Tried to talk to the old man again about parking and he was rude and unaffected. Cleaning staff was lethargic, slow and lazy. After my room was cleaned?and linens changed there was still a can under my bed. Good job redhead. The beach was the only saving grace of this affair. I will not bring my family there again. Don't eat at the restaurant either, dated and filthy just like the hotel .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Dave J

Dave J,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience during your stay with us. However, in the 3 days you stayed, had you come to the office, some of your issues could have been addressed.
I am glad to say that there is no more smoking in the office.
I can assure you that our prices are very competitive with the surrounding businesses in the area.
As long as the pool is well maintained and clean, does it matter whether it is dated or not?
We would much rather offer parking after the state parking lot is full, than to send all of them home. And I'm sure they appreciate it, as well.
We don't normally send our guests to the back parking lot. So, it makes me wonder whether it was actually the owner to whom you spoke.
The restaurant is inspected each year by a representative from the Health Inspector's office and has passed each year or we could not open.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rye Beach
The OC Studio Suites
The OC Studio Suites
#12 of 41 in Hampton
Seascape Inn at Plaice Cove

Been to Dunes Motor Inn? Share your experiences!