“disappointing all around”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Salem
Somerville, Massachusetts
“disappointing all around”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is the worst hotel stay I have ever had. My niece needed a place that would accomodate several out of town family members. She chose La Quinta because of the proximity to her wedding reception. It all started when we first called to book 3 rooms. We had tried numerous times to get through over the phone without luck. We ended up calling back another day and were able to get through. My niece had received a list of all the rooms her guests had reserved and noticed our name was on the list for one room, not three. If she hadn't noticed the mistake, we would have found out when we arrived the day of the wedding that we had no place to stay.

My niece's husband had told everyone staying at La Quinta that he had been told guests would most likely be able to have an early check in. Check in is at 3. The shuttle taking guests from La Quinta to the wedding reception was leaving at 2:45. Without early check in we would have to check into our room after the wedding reception. I called the day before the wedding to see what time we could check in and was told 3. I explained the situation and the extremely impatient and rude receptionist repeated herself that check in was 3, no exceptions. I asked her what out of town guests were supossed to do with their bags and she said "do you think we can hold everyone's bags?" Then proceeded to tell me to leave them in my car.

The end result - we were able to check in early. There was no reason for her to put us through the anxiety of having no where to get ready.
We were disgusted with the conditions of the lobby, rooms, bathrooms, etc. The common areas were dirty with obvious signs of new debris such as dirt, leaves, food. The walls of the room, which are white, had various stains, possibly old food. The bathroom shower curtain had black mold. The door handle in the bathroom was broken and falling off. All 3 rooms (and the whole floor) smelled of smoke.

In short, I would never reccommend this hotel to anyone for any reason with any budget. I am not a person who stays at extravagant hotels by any means. But this "hotel" is a disgrace for many reasons. In contrast, another family member stayed across the street at the Holiday Inn and was extremely satisfied with the staff and cleanliness.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Molly M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and treat you like family. A problem occurred in the bathroom and was fixed immediately before going out for the day. Will staty here whenever I visit the area again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Malden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 September 2012

This hotel was great. I read the reviews below and I couldn't believe it was same hotel. the staff was so friendly, My room on the 1st floor was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was small, but not staff and managers fault. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: 1st floor was quiet for me
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed over on a Saturday night for a friend's wedding that was nearby. We typically stay at hotels that are a bit more upscale than this so we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was very nice and the king bed was super comfortable! The only problems were that the room wasn't ready even though we arrived 30 minutes after scheduled check-in and our bathroom floor and sink area was sticky. The continental breakfast was great with lots of options. I wish I had seen the Belgian waffles before I made my choices because I would have chosen them for my breakfast. Overall it was a very good experience and we would stay there again if we needed to attend another function nearby. I

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Mansfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We booked this through an auction site, so I suppose that may have led to some of our issues. But not all of them, that's for sure!

Arrival: We booked 2 rooms- one for 2 adults and one for 2 adults and a child. Upon arrival, they gave us 2 rooms, both with king size beds. We were 'guaranteed' rooms with adequate beds for everyone. I'm not sure how a king size bed is 'adequate' for 3 people. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the auction site or the property. I have to give credit to the property here- they were out of cots and pack & play's, so the front desk manager (Isabel) really went above and beyond and located an air mattress for our toddler. This actually worked out very well and I was quite appreciative.

Then, they gave us our keys and we went up to our room. Opened the door, and...there were people in the room! And stuff!

So back to the front desk for another room.

Got to room #2 and settled in. See picture attached for cleanliness. A picture is worth a thousand words, no? Disgusting bathrooms that look like they haven't been cleaned in quite some time to have that kind of build up!

Next morning, came down for breakfast around 8:15. There were people everywhere! Sooooo many people crammed into a tiny little room! Everything was gone- waffle station was empty, remaining bananas were brown, and there was exactly 1 (one) yogurt left. We went elsewhere for breakfast.

We were gone all day and came back at 8:30pm. The maid had come in, threw some towels on the rack, and that was IT! Bed was unmade, nothing else was cleaned. Bathroom was still filthy.

Now comes the really good stuff. Around midnight, someone WALKED INTO OUR ROOM!! They apologized and walked back out. Next the phone rings- IT'S THE FRONT DESK - DEMANDING THAT WE COME DOWNSTAIRS AND PAY THEM!!! Now, if you've ever used an auction site, you pay up front. Which is what we explained to the front desk. Nope, they said we did not pay and we had to come down and pay $140 (the rack rate for the room). To which we replied, no way, we'll deal with this in the morning. Just what you want to deal with on a weekend getaway- unexpected 'visitors' at midnight and angry phone calls from the front desk claiming that you haven't paid.

So, next morning, we all head downstairs for another round with the front desk. Again, the breakfast is mobbed (the room really isn't nearly adequate for the amount of people- people were sitting outside, on the floor of the lobby, etc.). We have to wait about 15 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk (where else would you be during the busy check-out period besides behind the desk??). When the front desk clerk (Maria) finally arrives, we go over last night's 'events'. Her response is PRICELESS! "Well, I wasn't here, so what do you expect me to do about it? It looks fine to me. You obviously paid, so whatever". No apology, no 'sorry for your inconvience'...just....'not my problem'.

Obviously, we won't stay here again. Nor should you!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kgoldfien

Travellers are raving about these Salem hotels

Brick NJ
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Check in was slow and I could tell that something (mosquito? gnat? flea?) was biting my legs really aggressively while I stood in the lobby waiting to get checked in. I ended up with a bunch of itchy welts the next day. My room was on the ground floor and was loud due to a metallic fire door in the corridor nearby. In addition, although it was a no smoking room, someone had definitely been smoking in the bathroom relatively recently as there was a strong odor of smoke there. Luckily it didn't reach into the room itself. Speaking of the bathroom, I didn't realize until I got out of the shower that whoever cleaned the room forgot to leave anything but hand towels and facecloths which made getting dry a challenge. I ended putting my nightdress on my dripping body and calling for real towels, which arrived some minutes later. Otherwise the room was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. Also they are super pet friendly which was a plus as I was travelling with a kitten I was hoping to get my mum to adopt. Overall you can do a lot worse than this hotel and the price is very competitive.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the core of the building. Mine at least was very noisy from the constant opening a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
#2 of 4 in Salem
Park View Inn Inc.
Park View Inn Inc.
#1 of 4 in Salem
Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)
Days Hotel & Conference Center - Methuen MA
Hampton Inn Haverhill
Hampton Inn Haverhill
#1 of 2 in Haverhill
Sleep Inn Manchester Airport
Sleep Inn Manchester Airport
#1 of 1 in Londonderry

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Salem? Share your experiences!