“Long Overdue Report”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My boss owns a timeshare and for my Christmas present - traded in a week to give to my family at Steel Hill. We had a fantastic time!

The family: me, two grown daughters and their boyfriends - one daughter and boyfriend was there from Friday until Sunday, the other stayed until Monday night. Also had a friend with her two young children, come up on Monday and leave Tuesday night. I stayed until Thursday, sad to leave a day early but had other committments. Also a nice feature was the bedding all gets changed out on Monday - worked out perfectly as I then moved into the master bedroom and my friend with her kids took the 2nd bedroom and there was no need to use the couch.

Date: Jan 18-25, 2013
Check-In: Even though we arrived at the same time as a number of other people we were checked in within 10 minutes.

Accomodations: I believe we were in the West building (sorry can't remember) it is NOT the building with the Atrium pool. We were very pleasantly surprised by how large our unit was. A huge master bedroom with a king size bed, and a jacuzzi tub - attached to the bedroom was a bathroom, that had a shower. The second bedroom was a good size, with twin beds and it had it's own bathroom with a full sized tub. The main living area was big and bright and comfortable. The only thing I did not care for was the pull out sofa - but I have yet to find one that I do not feel the bar coming through the mattress and it's not like I am a heavy person -5'4", 125#'s. I ended up just sleeping on the couch - much more comfortable. Oh and did I mention another bathroom complete with a shower. Every single room had it's own thermostat so everyone could find their own level of comfort. The unit also had two balconies with sliding glass doors. The seating in the living room was arranged so that two comfy chairs sat facing the sliders so you could enjoy watching the sunrise/set or just the beauty of the scenery. The kitchen was well equiped and there was a nook for a table with chairs for 6 that had a huge window to really bring the outdoors in. We enjoyed having our meals there.

Activities: Loved that our building had it's own pool with a hot tub and a large flat screen tv, one daughter and boyfriend went down and watched a hockey came from the comfort of the tub. One daughter and I did go up to the main pool, (I also came back and enjoyed the pool more when my friend and her little ones were with me) so that we could say we had been there, but really enjoyed the peace and quite at the pool in our building - UNTIL a couple families showed up - this was the only negative part of the stay - little kids do NOT belong in hot tubs - there are signs posted - however there is no one there to re-enforce it. I did not appreciate it when I was relaxing to have some mother place her child who was barely tall enough to stand in the hot tub, leave him in there and go for a dip in the pool, twice the child stepped off the "seat" and I had to haul him up - not my responsibility! Another mother with two little ones came on in - this mom had one child sit on the edge with her feet dangling in while she kept encouraging the other little one to come on up, she kept refusing and the mom eventually gave up and went back in the pool with both kids.

My younger daughter and her boyfriend went hiking and enjoyed themselves - their only request would be that you offer some hiking maps - the front desk let them take their laminated overview, but that really isn't very practical.
The resort offered other activities that we just didn't have time to take advantage of - next time, and there will be a next time, we plan on everyone being able to stay an entire week.

LOCAL ACTIVITIES: FunSpot - the largest arcade in, I believe they said the world - every arcade game from pong to whatever is the latest one out there. They also have skeeball and other games of chance, pinball machines, several lanes for bowling and a couple of places to eat, drink and be merry! We were there for several hours and had a blast.

Check out was a breeze and I was sorry to leave.

Oh - while I was there we did receive several inches of snow - but whoever maintains the grounds were quick to clean up, had no problem getting to my car or driving around!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Roberta M
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

It appears you had and your family had a great time with us. Based on your description it sounds like you stayed in one of our 2 Bedroom East Suites. These rooms have a lot to offer and we recently renovated them with new furniture and granite counter tops throughout. I am glad the unit was sizable enough to keep your party comfortable and happy during your visit. These rooms offer a great combination of spacious open floor plans and great views.

I agree with you that the pool area over at the main resort can be a great place to relax and enjoy a good book. I am happy to hear you did get a chance to experience both pool facilities. It is nice to have the option to visit both while staying with us. It sounds like your daughter and her boyfriend had a fun time on our hiking trails. They are one of my favorite features. We are actually working on an upgraded map, like you suggested, to highlight the hiking trails. We are hoping to go into production with theses prior to the summer season.

Thank you for staying with us at Steele Hill. We hope to see you up on the hill again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Steele Hill Resorts

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Last weekend we set up a mini-vacation with my granddaughter and her other grandparents at Steele Hill Resorts. We waited until the last minute to schedule so I got into one of the older units. However, it was cozy, warm and clean so it worked out well. We had a fantastic time in the slide pool, played ping pong, used the Kinect X boxes and visited the arcade. Our package included a meal voucher so we enjoyed dinner and brunch in the restaurant. The food was excellent, especially the brunch! We would definitely go back but I would try to get a newer room.

Room Tip: Rooms in the West area are nearest the big slide pool and are newer.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cece934

It sounds like you enjoyed a great family getaway with your granddaughter. I am glad you found the suite up to your standards. Our housekeeping department does a tremendous job at keeping all of our rooms in great shape. I will let our Housekeeping Manager know you appreciated their efforts.

Your experience in the amenities building is exactly what we are trying to provide guests in that facility. Hopefully your granddaughter will have some great memories of going down the slide and playing ping pong with her grandparents. I am also happy to hear that our restaurant delivered a quality product that your family was able to enjoy together.

Thank you for the positive feedback. Family time is hard to come by these days and I am glad we were able to help provide the right atmosphere to enjoy time with the ones you care about most. Hopefully we will see you up on the hill again in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

So normally this is not something that I would do but I happen to come across the other reviews from this past weekend and felt the urge to add in my experience. I too stayed there this past weekend on the one night getaway package (which by the way is a great deal). My boyfriend and I checked in on Saturday and was directed to the West building. We then proceeded to the indoor pool area which I thought was very nice and family oriented. We were able to enjoy the pool, waterslide, hot tub and the bar. We also made reservations for dinner so we would not have to wait. Upon returning to our room there was an event going on above our heads and with the walls and floors seemingly very thin, we called the front desk to have our room changed. Without any issues, we were then moved to the South building that I thought was beautifully decorated and extermely comforable. Liked the 2 person jacuzzi in the room. We proceeded to dinner with our reservation already made. Arrived on time and it did appear there were some timing issues. Not sure if they were understaffed or what happened but it was apparent that there was some issue going on. We were seated shortly after, ordered dinner, drinks and appetizers. We received our drinks and appetizer in a timely manner that was delicious. Unfortunately, we did not receive our meal. After 9:15pm we did also complain to Chad who took control of the situation and packed our meals to go (upon our request) and did not charge us for them. We ate them in our room and they were extremely good. We both enjoyed them very much. Sunday we had an awesome brunch at a great price and left there very satisfied. In short, yes, there were a few issues while we were there but the staff was very acommodating and went out of their way to make our stay there enjoyed. We will definately by back.

Room Tip: The rooms in the West building are not very sound proof.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

First off, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like the employees were able to correct a few issues and provide a positive overall experience. I will discuss your initial problem at the restaurant with both Chad and the Food and Beverage Manager to better understand what happened and how we can avoid a similar issue in the future. I am glad Chad personally addressed things to the best of his abilities. I am also happy to hear that despite this you enjoyed the food and had a good experience at brunch the next day.

I understand your concern with the West rooms. We generally do not receive many noise complaints regarding these units, but given a full house this may have been the case. I am happy our desk staff acted quickly to resolve your concerns. Many guests love these units due to their proximity to the main pool area. It sounds like despite your room move you were able to enjoy the pool in the main amenities building.

Thanks for choosing Steele Hill. We appreciate your business and understand how precious vacation time can be these days. I hope to see you up on the hill again in the future.

Thanks,

Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband found this resort on Groupon. He took me and our girls away. Upon arrival we were given keys that opened both doors in the West building where our suite was which made me uneasy, seeing one of the rooms wasnt ours! Maintenance came and have us the right keys. We stayed for the weekend, my children loved the pool in the West Building, however it was 91 degrees in the pool area which made it unbearable to sit there. We had dinner at the Hilltop Resteraunt and our service was horrible!! Waited forever for our food, when we finally received it, it was bland and unimpressive! Our waitress was rude and Chad, the manager ended up taking over. He was very professional and gave us free dessert that we took to go. Sunday we stayed and let the kids swim, it was 91 degrees in the pool area so I took advantage of the comfy chairs outside the pool area and read. We had lunch at the bar outside the pool and Beth was our server..she was awesome! Her personality was the best! You should be thankful for her and Chad. We will not visit again, it didn't suit our needs.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank LaurenC1999
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

It sounds like your kids enjoyed the pool area, but that we dropped the ball on a few aspects of your stay with us. I understand your feeling that the atrium was too hot. Given the nature of the glass building, we maintain a tropical atmosphere in this pool area. Many guests enjoy the heat, but I can understand with the humidity it can feel much warmer than it actually is.

I am sorry to hear that we distributed an extra set of keys on arrival. We take security very seriously and I can assure you that this is not a regular occurrence. I am glad the maintenance staff was able to address the problem shortly after you checked-in. I will be sure to speak with the desk staff to review their daily check-in audit procedures to avoid a similar situation in the future.

I am sorry to hear you had an issue with the service in the Hilltop Restaurant. We have made a few changes to the personnel as of late and our internal feedback cards do indicate a significant improvement. That being said, it sounds like the table service did not meet your expectations. I will discuss your feedback at our weekly Food and Beverage meeting to look for strategies on improving service time. I am glad both Chad and Beth were able to add a bright spot to your experience with our Food and Beverage department.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill Resorts. I hope there is a possibility for a change of heart to give the resort another try. We understand how precious family vacation time can be these days and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed there this past week with my boyfriend. We stayed in the newer south hotels. You wouldn't think they are very new and all I could think is if this is the newer building I would hate to see the older buildings. The room was cramped and everything seemed dated. We had some work to do before we could enjoy our vacation and it was disappointing there wasn't a desk or anything. The worst part is the trash can. We were there for a week and there was only the bathroom trash can. The maid service came on Wednesday and whoever did the room really didn't do anything; they emptied the trash and made the bed. I had to walk to the front desk and ask for a refill on the coffee and things like that. We used the whirlpool tub a few times, but whatever it was cleaned with I was allergic to, so that was ruined really fast.

We ate dinner at the resort restaurant the first night and I was satisfied with my meal. The wait was horrendous though! We waited almost more than an hour from the time that we were seated until we finally got our food. The problem was that there was one waitress for everyone, about 10 parties that night. I read a review that the Saturday breakfast was pretty good so we ate there the morning before we left. It wasn't spectacular.

Once we ventured up to the West building it wasn't so bad. The pool was fun and I loved the big roman spa. We didn't use it, but the workout facilities looked nice. The XBox Kinect seemed to be a big hit and we played ping pong a lot. If you are going to go to the resort, ask the west desk for the key to the tower and head up there on a clear day!

There were two desk people that made the trip pretty good. Rose at the front desk was always very nice to us and willing to help with whatever we needed (including replacing our key card like 5 times) and Anya at the west desk was awesome. Each time we went up to the west desk and she was there we must have talked for an hour. She even put up with a long boring story about how I'm opening a bakery, but then next time we saw her she said that she's been thinking about what I was talking about. They made an unhappy stay a little bit better.

We checked out this morning and there was a charge of $67 that we had to dispute. The front desk attendant said it was from the restaurant, but we paid at the restaurant both times we ate there. She said that it must have been accidentally charged to our room and that she'd talk to the restaurant to see who was supposed to be charged.

I think overall it was an ok trip. I enjoyed the area that the resort is in, but other than that we were only at the resort to swim or sleep. I don't think I'll ever come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meg C

First off, I am glad that your interactions with some of our front line employees helped improve the quality of your experience. I will be sure to speak with both of the desk staff that you mentioned to let them know you found them positive, friendly and helpful. It sounds like you also had a good experience using some of our amenities.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your overall stay with us. The south building is relatively new, with construction finishing in 2007. Many guest rave about the quality of these units, but I will take your feedback into consideration and pay special attention to the standards of these suites during our daily inspections to see if we have room for improvement. Based on your feedback about the trash, it sounds like you may have stayed in the South Hotel room. We have received some similar comments from guest on extended stays in these hotel units regarding the smaller trash cans. I will discuss possible solutions with the Housekeeping Manager.

In terms of your experience with the restaurant, it sounds like overall the food met your standards, but the service took too long to deliver. I will sit down with our Food and Beverage staff during our regular meeting this week to work on continuing to improve our guest experience in the Hilltop Restaurant. We have just added a new assistant Food and Beverage manager as of last week to compliment the strong team we already have in place at the restaurant. I am confident that this group of individuals will work together to deliver a great dining experience. I will be sure to discuss your feedback with the team and look to improve on any service disruptions during these busy weeks for future guests.

Thanks for choosing Steele Hill. I understand you do not plan on returning, but if you decide to change your mind, I am sure we could deliver a better total hospitality experience for your next stay. We will be sure to take your feedback into consideration to deliver the best hospitality experience possible for future guests.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

My family and I stayed in the 1 bedroom West rooms last winter and had a great time with the pool area, so we decided this year to do a family ski trip with our extended family. I reserved 6 rooms to be blocked off together, they were not together. Check in is at 4pm, we got there at 4 and our rooms were still not ready! We waited in the pool area and were told they'd call us when our rooms were ready, they receptionist called me at 4:10 and said my room was ready and they'd bring the keys to the receptionist in the area I was in. I watched the keys be delivered a short time later so I asked the receptionist for our keys to which her response was I was lying about them calling,my room (at 4:20) was still not ready. Finally by 4:30 a half hour after check in we got our keys. Thats pretty ridiculous.
So we get into our rooms which are very lovely,except at night. We were exhausted from skiing and were kept up all night by a wedding party. My room,with my family was surrounded by people partying until 3am! My children and I didn't sleep and we had to be up early for another day of skiing. Wouldn't reservations keep that in mind when booking rooms? Keep families in one area and partying people in another? Nevermind those beds are the most uncomfortable beds ever,you'd be better off sleeping on concrete. Which reminds me,BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW!
. My next complaint is its been 6 days and they still have not credited my security deposit! Talked to my bank and nothing...ugh, they never received the credit for my security deposit. I called them and they said they did the credit and gave me a hard time about my bank not processing it,which is why I called my bank. I shouldn't have to work to get MY money back,especially after 2 sleepless nights there and a late check in. Bad business. I had hoped to make this ski trip a yearly event at Steele Hill but Im not so sure anymore,we might have to look into other places.
On a positive note the pool was great,the food was great and the scenery is beautiful. Like so beautiful. If Steele Hill could just fix the problems with booking wedding parties next to familes, put some sort of cushion on their beds, teach their receptionists the importance of great customer service and check in time, and hand them a check not bank card for security deposit...then I might go back.

Room Tip: Bring a pillow, a pillow top mattress cover, right a check for security deposit (don't use bank...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank saarifam
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

First off, I can tell you that we take customer service very seriously at Steele Hill. I am sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. Due to the nature of your feedback, I made it a point to follow up with all the relevant managers involved to understand the events more accurately.

In terms of the noise complaint, the guest in question was not actually a member of a wedding party, but my staff informed me that they did make a significant amount of noise. The security guard visited with them 3 times during the length of their stay. I agree that this type of behavior from another guest is unacceptable. I will meet with our security team to commit our procedures to policy for removing a disrespectful party from the property. Generally we want everyone to have a fun, relaxing stay with us especially during the busy vacation weeks. In the future we will reduce the number of security visits required prior to further action.

In regards to the security deposit, my desk manager explained to me that she did follow up with both yourself and your bank to determine the cause of this issue. We do run pre-authorizations in case of incidentals, but the intention is never to encumber a guest’s funds beyond the stay. In this case, the funds were actually held up due to your bank’s policy with releasing pre-authorizations. I apologize if the cause of this issue was not conveyed clearly.

I also spoke with my reservations manager about the room blocks issue. It is my understanding that she attempted to put together a block of 6 consecutive rooms for you during the reservation, but was unable to find the availability in one location, which she conveyed to you at the time of the reservation. I can understand that this would be disappointing if you expected the rooms to be together or if she did not clearly explain her lack of availability.

In terms of the late check-in, I am sorry to hear that we were not able to deliver the rooms at our standard check-in time. The desk staff did say that they were able to send a runner up to the main amenities building to deliver your keys shortly thereafter. I completely understand wanting to get into the rooms on time. This particular vacation week was our busiest on record. We are excited about all the new customers exploring the resort facilities and our staff really did an amazing job redoubling their efforts to deliver for that particular week. I will sit down with the housekeeping manager to see how we can better prepare ourselves for a similar high-water mark in the future.

Despite the issues I am glad to hear you did enjoy the pool facilities and the restaurant. We are committed to delivering a positive hospitality experience and it is always difficult to hear that a guest was unsatisfied. I hope that you will consider visiting with us again in the future. If you have any questions or would like to discuss any further details of your stay feel free to contact me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We were VERY disappointed that they were not set up for snowmobiling as they advertised. The trail they said they had was not groomed or marked. It was only as wide as a path. This was supposed to connect to NH main trail system. We asked desk were to go. They never offered us a map or anything.....We never made it to the trail system. The kids enjoyed the pool and video games. I just wish we had not dragged up all of our sleds and trailors.. Waste of time. Would go back for just the pool.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tricia d H
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

First off, I am glad that your kids were able to enjoy the pool area and the video game stations. Hopefully this offered some consolation to the trails not being broken in after a storm.

I can understand your disappointment if you were led to believe the connecting trail was groomed. Our property does offer access to the state trail network from the south east corner of the golf course. On our website we do mention the connector, but we do not claim to groom the trail. I can understand this could be daunting if you arrived after a big storm. Generally, today included, there is enough sled traffic to pack down the connecting trail and provide a more visible direction off the property. We do have many snowmobilers that visit with us, including some from as far away as Canada.

I understand your concern with the desk staff not being informed enough to communication the proper location of this trail. While there are a few maps available on snowmobile websites that show the connecting trail, we do not currently offer one from the desk. I will follow up with the desk manager to make sure they are better equipped to answer this question in the future.

Thank you for staying with us at Steele Hill. We appreciate your business and hope that the balance of your experience with us was still enjoyable. We would love to see you up on the hill again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
#4 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#8 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!