“Will not go back!”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Reviewed 1 June 2008

The check in was quick and the girls were very friendly. We went for a one night stay just to getaway and swim for the day.

The rooms are disgusting. The smell when you first walk in are really gross. The units are so dated. I was really looking forward to just sitting on the balcony and enjoying the view but the balcony needed alot of help. I did not even feel safe on them.

The kids did enjoy the pool and we did have fun swimming but the early check out 10am made it impossible to even take a quick dip in the morning. For the price you are paying I would skip this one. I would not consider this a resort and I will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Vozzygirl

Reviewed 1 June 2008

I stayed at this resort for a women's retreat through my church group. I agree with the reviewer that the roads leading up to the resort are sketchy, and I reside in NH and have driven on some frost heave impacted roads before, and these were pretty bad. Obviously, the owners of this resort are pretty cash strapped. I attended seminars in the "Carriage House" which was mediocre at best, but they tried to create ambiance with lit candles and the fireplace roaring (yes, this is late May in New England). It was rustic, somewhat rundown, but not entirely unpleasant. The young women at the front desk/reception were very pleasant and helpful, just watch that sudden drop when you enter the reception area, I saw at least 4 people trip when entering. I stayed in a 2 bd condo in the 'West' wing, and yes, you have to carry your luggage up and down steep stairs (ladies, don't wear heels). The living space was so-so, the floors are bowed, I don't know how old the building is, the weather conditions wear buildings badly, building construction is cheap, loose tiles in the bathroom floor, etc. but overall not entirely bad. The indoor pool area is very run down, getting in and out of the "Roman bath" is difficult, one step to get in and that step is loose. Not bad for kids. Roof leaked, and it was raining, so sat in a chair by the pool and got dripped on. You had to turn on the sauna yourself before entering, and found it amusing that the management posted a note on the controls to not turn the sauna above "5" which provided minimal heat after waiting for about 10 minutes for the unit to heat up. Several ice cream "pop up" wrappers littered the interior of the sauna, and that about said it all. Yes, it's a bit dirty and run down, but kids won't notice. I glanced at the restaurant menu and just about died, entrees ran between $20-30 (and this is a family resort??). Lower your expectations and you'll be fine. The place need serious investment , and a marketing strategy, and it could be nice.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2008

As a group of 11 we stayed in 2 studio apartment units and loved them. They staff were great and accommodating -they gave us the rooms 3 hours early which was great because we just drove 11 hours from Canada to get there. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We didn't get to try out the restaurant but went into Tilton to eat and were pleased with the restaurants. We will definitely stay again.
Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2008

What a beautiful addition to the Steele Hill Resort family!! Steele Hill South is only one year old, sits at the tee for the fifth hole of a nine hole golf course, and the views are spectacular.
I stayed in a one bedroom at the resort from April 7-11, 2007. There was still a lot of snow on the golf course, but that did not spoil my week.
From the plasma tv, to the gas fireplace, to the whirlpool bathtub - this place is all about luxury! Everything here is top of the line, and the unit is very spacious. The unit sleeps 6, has 2 full baths, and a gorgeous kitchen with service for 8.
There are indoor and outdoor pools, as well as a hot tub and a steam room in the main resort, as well as an elegant restaurant and a tavern.
I have stayed at Steele Hill many times, but this was my first time in the South Resort. You can bet it will not be my last!

[--]
Manchester, NH

Reviewed 11 April 2008

My wife and I stayed at Steele Hill West from March 22 to March 29, 2008. Because of an above average snowfall for the winter, there was still several feet on the ground. The area was still in winter wonderland mode. We found that the large majority of negative comments in earlier reviews were groundless. Yes, Steele Hill West is showing its age a bit but everything was reasonably well maintained and worked as it should. There were lots of stairs so I wouldn't recommend going there if you have a problem climbing. Several previous reviews mentioned problems getting ice. We found that the ice trays in the freezer solved that problem.

When we checked in, we were a bit concerned about our room assignment. We were given the room overlooking the pool area. To our surprise, we loved it. Our main concern had been the noise while the pool was open. It was much quieter than we expected. Kids had to leave the pool by 9:00pm and everyone else was out by 10:00. So, there was no problem being able to sleep. During the open hours, we enjoyed watching families enjoying all the water activities.

We had no problems with the staff. If we needed something, it was taken care of.

We ate a couple of meals in the restaurant and one in the tavern. All were good but not excellent. That's not a problem because there were plenty of good restaurants nearby.

We particularly enjoyed the activities director (forgot her name). She was very patient teaching people how to use snow shoes. We went on an hour long hike through the surrounding forest where the snow was still deep. She was very knowledgeable about the area's plant and animal life. She also pointed out the different mountains and where the best ski areas were.

We had one problem that was not discovered until we were home. We found that we had left several somewhat valuable items behind. I called the resort and was transferred to Housekeeping. Three days later, I had not received a response to the voicemail I had left. I called again and left another message. Another day's wait and I received a return call. The housekeeping manager confirmed that our items had been found. I was told it would be no problem having the items returned. I arranged to pay for the shipping fees. Since the fees were to be paid with my credit card, I watched my account via the Internet to see when a charge had been made, confirming shipment. After a week of seeing no charge, I again called Housekeeping at the resort. I left another voice mail to call me. Twentyfour hours later, my call not being returned, I called the front desk and spoke to a very nice person there. She promised that she would look into what had happened and would get our items shipped out right away.

When we left the resort, we were talking about going back with more of our family. We really enjoyed ourselves. Right now, that idea is on hold until we see whether or not we receive what we left behind. My best advice applies to staying anywhere. Check all the closets and drawers at least twice before checking out. If you leave something behind, you may find it difficult to get it back.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2008

My family vacationed at Steelehill Resort, which is located off the
beaten path on top of a mountain. The views were unbeleivable
as was the pool with waterslides and a mushroom fountain. The
kids had a great time and the restaurant was priced well within
our budget and great food. It was one of our best family getaways
and a great value.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Riverrunthover
Reviewed 29 March 2008

This is my 3rd visit to Steele Hill. I stayed at the west building this year. The two bedroom townhouse's are so nice. They have fireplaces and full kitchens with regular size appliances (not small apt. size). The room was really clean. This resort displays the towels in such a unique way. I needed extra blankets and pillows and the front desk had them brought right up.

We love the pool and the activities director planned a bunch of fun things to keep us all entertained. My kids won the sled pulling contest! My husband and I went went on a snow shoe hike by moonlight. The views are spectacular!

For those looking to vacation at Steele Hill Resorts and reading these reviews don't be turned away by some of these reviews. I swear they could not have stayed at the same resort I did.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Natasha01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tilton
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#9 of 13 in Laconia
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!