“Wonderful Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Kingston, New Hampshire, United States
“Wonderful Weekend”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We spent the weekend here for our anniversary. We also brought our 12 year old son and a friend of his so we reserved a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo unit. Some reviews I read said the road to get to Steele Hill was terrible. Those must have been old reviews (or people that did not live in New England) because we found the roads to be fine. Everything is paved and in good repair. The drive up is beautiful! The resort itself is quite amazing when you first drive up. Very impressive. The check in staff were friendly and helpful. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We ate lunch and brunch at the Hilltop Restaurant. Beautiful views, good food. The pool area is a lot of fun. The kids loved the slide. The biggest problem with the pool is that all the seats around it were covered with towels - not people. People were reserving seats, but not using them for more than their towels, bags and shoes. Quite annoying for my husband and I. We had to stand quite a bit. We were finally able to grab a small plastic table to use to take turns sitting on. There was an attendant keeping order for the slide during the day shift. That was a good thing. However, she wasn't completely fair at all times. There was a mother and child sitting at the top of the slide, pretty much in everyone's way. The child wouldn't go down the slide. Fine in my opinion, just get him down and off the slide! But the attendent let them both sit up there (not much room) with the child flailing his arms and legs in everyone's way and crying/fussing. The game room was fun. However, there were used, wet towels everywhere, including the floor and games. Ick. Perhaps someone could walk through a bit more frequently and pick these up. The bar near the pool was great - we found seats there and Craig, the bartender was fantastic! He runs a great bar, fast, clean, friendly service. The kids ordered food in the bar and it came quickly and was nice and hot. Our condo unit was big. We were in 612 and it was very close to the fun, indoor pool. The only thing that some may not like is that we had to go outside to get back in to the lobby. It was chilly and rainy, but like I said really close, so it wasn't a problem, but families with young children might not like taking them outside when cold and wet. Also, this unit was next to the game room, so during the day it was quite noisy. It wasn't a problem for us, because at 10 it closed and was immediately quiet, but families with children needing a nap would not be happy with this. But we were a little disappointed with the layout. The loft was where the king bed was. There was no door, so we had very little/ no privacy. The room the kids had, twin beds, had their own bathroom. Seems as though the king bed should have been there. Our bathroom was a bit "tired" with paint peeling around the toilet paper holder and in the shower as well as a sticky door that really didn't open all the way or got stuck on the floor (once you could get it open). The other think I didn't like about the bathroom was that there was no counter space. The 3 TVs were all great. The living room was big and comfortable. The beds were VERY comfortable! Great night sleep. The kitchen had everything we needed for whatever we wanted to cook. The unit was VERY CLEAN which we are picky about. Overall a really fun place and we will return.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room with a balcony, also a master bedroom with attached bath. There are also...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeanne M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed at the Summit resort before this place. This one is much nicer!! Love the jacuzzi with the big screen tv right next to the bar!!! It has a bigger pool area and room are alot nicer with a dinning room table. And the views are amazing!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CeCe101
Poughquag, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have stayed at Steele Hill a number of times and have never been disappointed. This time we stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms and it was beautiful! The kitchen and bathroom had granite counter tops, nice furnishings throughout and the beds were very comfortable. We all enjoyed the massive indoor pool. My kids couldn't get enough of the water slide and us adults loved relaxing in the hot tubs. The pools and hot tubs were well maintained and kept at a comfortable temperature. The staff were all courteous and helpful. They were always asking if they could help us with something. We called the front desk for coffee one night and it was brought to our room quickly. We can't wait to book our next trip, maybe during the warmer weather so we can enjoy the outdoor pool as well!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JEAEmom
Claremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had been here years ago and enjoyed our stay, so we thought we would visit again and bring our one year old son for a mini vacation. We were in room 40A which is in the west building attached to the building with the pool. The room was a suite with a balcony and two queen beds. Upon entering the room you have to walk up a staircase to get to the living space. My son only wanted to try to go down the stairs since the moment we got there. We called the front desk and within an hour they had a babygate for us that maintenance was able to jam into the space between the wall and the banister at the top of the stairs. It was not safe and we still had to keep my son away from it because if any pressure was applied to the gate then the gate would fall down the stairs. The other thing that my son was interested in was all of the exposed outlets. Two outlets had baby safe outlet covers, but there were still about six exposed outlets. I have never been in a hotel and seen so many exposed outlets, so I had never thought this would be a problem. We spent the majority of our hotel stay chasing our son around the room making sure he was not going to be severely injured instead of relaxing.

We had received two $10 vouchers to the resturaunt on site and had called in an order around 8 for delivery. At 9:20 my husband called to see if our food was on its way. The caller explained to us that all the cooks were gone and the kitchen was closed up and that they were not sure what had happened to our order. The caller told us that they would reopen the kitchen and bring us our food at no charge. When we received our food, items that were supposed to be soft were so hard that it hurt to bite into them. We received avacado spinach dip that was in a bowl made of crumpled up aluminum foil. We were not impressed with the food, but it was nice of the person to try to make the situation right. They did also throw in a box of free desserts which was nice.

The suite was hot. There were four thermostats in the room, three of which had a note on them saying the were no longer in service. We shut the working one off and it was still 75 degrees in the room for our entire stay even though we had all the windows open (some were missing screens) and even the sliding door to the balcony. And it was cool outside. And windy. And boy did that wind howl. The wind shook the windows and howled through the chimney and fireplace all night long for both nights and it was loud.

We went to open up the sleeper sofa so we could lay down and watch television since there was no television in the bedroom. There were spare sheets in the closet that were wrapped in kitchen grade plastic wrap. The pull out bed was extremely uncomfortable, the mattress was thinner than any of the pillows in the room and you could feel every spring in it. I'm glad we didn't have guests that had to sleep there. The blankets for the beds were thin. Nothing really of quality.

We went to swim at the pool. The pool was nice. It was raining out and the ceiling was dipping in many spots. I guess it didn't really matter because we were swimming, but there were parents who were chaperoning their swimming children in their clothes and I doubt they appreciated it.

I paid $1.50 for a teabag at the amenities desk outside of the pool. (I was expecting to be handed a cup of tea.) There was a tea kettle back in the suite. I looked inside it before adding water and the entire bottom of the kettle was covered in rust. Luckily they had other pots I could boil water in.

The second night we stayed we didn't have WiFi for a few hours. Oh well.

Over all we were greatly disappointed with our stay. For the amount of money we spent for two nights (over $300) I expected a completely different experience. I expected a more luxurious feel to everything like the pictures on the website depicted, not motel like accommodations. I doubt we'll ever return. I wish I could get my time and money back. We had a rotten vacation at Steele Hill.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Liz M
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As with all reviews, we view feedback as a learning opportunity to improve the overall guest experience. Based on the content of the review, I do not believe we will be able to salvage this particular experience. That being said, I would like the opportunity to provide management’s viewpoint on all the issues.

Per the initial description it appears there was some confusion about the layout of the room. I believe our website provides an accurate, in-depth description of each room type including in-room amenities, bedding, layout, pictures and videos. In the review it appears you did not feel the pictures were accurate, but it also suggests that you were unaware of the layout. The site clearly states this particular room type is a townhouse layout. I will take it into consideration that all potential guests will not be completely familiar with this description.

It sounds like our maintenance staff was quick to deliver the baby gate, but you were not completely comfortable with the adjustment and fit to the wall. I can understand the concern here with a small child in the room. In reviewing the reservations notes, I saw no mention of a follow up call to correct the problem. I can assure you that if management was made aware that the issue had not been completely resolved we would have gone out of our way to fix the problem.

Steele Hill offers condo style rooms, with full kitchens and multiple bedrooms. Many guests prefer this option over vacation rentals due to the amenities and services onsite. Many of our guest stay for extended periods of time. As a result, it is difficult to compare our accommodation offerings to a standard hotel that may offer classic hotel style rooms with no living rooms, kitchens and additional guest rooms. I understand your comments about the baby safe outlets, but I also caution anyone reading this review to expect the amenities and feature a standard hotel room might offer. I liken our rooms to more of a home away from home. There might be slightly less uniformity and standard hotel features, but they offer a great option for someone looking for a fuller experience.

In terms of the heat in the room, we were unaware of any issues. A new digital thermostat had just been installed in that unit prior to your stay. I can assure you if management had been made aware of a heating issue, our maintenance staff would have addressed it directly. I will be sure to follow up with this information and have them review the heating in that unit. As far as the wind goes, the resort is situated on top of a mountain. This affords us unbelievable views of the lakes and mountains. Sometimes the wind can be stronger at this elevation. Generally I find the wonderful views and beautiful setting more than overcomes the weather concerns.

In terms of the water dripping into the pool, we completely replaced the roof on our amenity building in the fall. Unfortunately, the weather moved in before we could set the seals on a few windows in the main channel of the glass roof. Any guests who have seen the dripping will note is extremely minor. Our roofing contractor is returning in the next week or so to finish sealing this area with the warmer weather.

Based on your description of the delivery experience, it sounds like we dropped the ball on communication here. I will be sure to follow up with our food and beverage manager to review the incident. I am glad to hear they did make things right and offer complimentary food due to our error. Our delivery service has been a major service expansion for the restaurant and generally receives glowing remarks from the guests. I will be sure we correct any issues going forward.

Despite your negative experience, I do appreciate your return visit. We will be sure to take away any lessons we can. Steele Hill is unique and solid property. Our staff is dedicated and we are very serious about providing our guests with a positive experience. I strongly feel that this review does not accurately characterize the whole of what we have to offer on the Hill.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Litchfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I can honestly say I was the most laid back bride ever...but clearly too much so. We had a great experience with the staff as a whole and our rehearsal dinner cookout was fun and well organized along with the bonfire after. The day of my wedding was a disaster and dealing with the not so helpful Larry who repeatedly told me "I've been doing this for 30 years so don't worry" was a train wreck. I cannot begin to list all the things that went wrong at the fault of Larry and the venue but I clearly should not have been so trusting..and to top off my series of unfortunate events Larry proceeds to ask for the rest of our money right before we were going in to be announced to our guests in the middle of my wedding, after being MIA for everything we needed before that. Very unprofessional. I know this sounds like a rant but I was hoping for so much for from the event coordination at Steele Hill on my most important day and it has taken me this long to be able to find the words to share my disappointment. So please, please...find somewhere else to enjoy your special day!

• Stayed July 2013
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
I feel obligated to make a correction to the review above. The date states that this happened on July 13th 2013. The manager mentioned actually retired at the end of January 2013. As a result, this particular wedding likely took place at least 2 years ago as opposed to last year.

That being said, I am sorry to hear the experience did not match expectations. Per the review it sounds like you were pleased with the staff, but unhappy with the manager in question. I can assure you that as an organization we are committed to providing an exceptional venue and service to our brides. The resort has a long history of being the premier location in the lakes region to get married.

I wish I had been more aware of these issues during the event. There have been many changes at the resort since this time. We have a new Hospitality Sales Director, Penny Miller. Penny has done an exceptional job in coordinating wedding events and business functions. This is reflected in all the positive feedback we have received.

We have also completely revamped and improved the kitchen staff and restaurant management. Our new team is the strongest we have ever had in the history of the resort. Between our head chef’s excellent skill set and management’s significantly improved coordination, I am confident that our wedding offering is one of the best in the area.

As I said, I am sorry to hear there was an issue with the event’s coordination. Even during that time period, our history and feedback demonstrates that this was the exception and not the norm. I can assure you that given our continued focus on excellence in this department a lack of coordination is not going to be an issue for any bride looking to host there special day with us.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I've stayed at Steele Hill a number of times now, and I have never been disappointed with the quality and service at this resort. The rooms are gorgeous and comfortable, and the massive indoor pool is beyond decedent. I strongly suggest this place to any one who's looking to get away for a few days.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank FatSheamus
Naples, Maine
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I came across this resort through a friend on facebook, the pool in the west is what originally caught my eye. I thought my kids would have a great time there since it is winter time and the pools are indoors. But I was extremely nervous about many of the reviews I had read. So I booked it anyways. Then found out that we were staying in the east, more specifically the north wing of the east building which I then read reviews screaming "not to stay in the east". So let's just say I was afraid of what we were checking into. To our surprise the room was better than we thought, I must note though that the pictures I saw on the site were different from the room we had but still, we were happy. Lots of room to spread out. Big table to eat, play games, etc. A fully stocked kitchen and a full size fridge (which we filled with water and juice). We almost never heard anyone in the building, so things were very quiet. Amazing views from our windows and balcony, we overlooked lakes and mountains, it was awesome. Had a great time in both the east and west pools, the west of course was quite busy at times. Now onto the restaurant...we ate dinner there twice and had excellent meals both times, thought it was a tad bit pricey (the kids meals) but other than that excellent food and service. Also we had the breakfast buffet, which was alright and again a little pricey. So all in all, this was a fantastic trip. We did request more towels and had them delivered pretty quickly. And my husband asked for coffee for the room and had some delivered at 5:30 in the morning which I found very impressive! My one and only complaint, is the bed! The bed was so firm that we felt like we were literally sleeping on a rock, in fact we got very little sleep either night but this was in no way a deal breaker. We will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MeaganB515
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
#13 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!