“Best "unexpected" experience”

The Wakefield Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Sanbornville B&B and Inns
“Best "unexpected" experience”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

After reading the mixed reviews of this place online I would like to share my own experience since we did not initially book a room at this inn but stayed there for one night a few years back on our way up to intervale. While traveling from Connecticut to New Hampshire the snow storm that we were traveling in was getting worse. I ended up getting stuck on the side of the road on a patch of ice. I called my father, and he went online to locate a hotel close by. There was a choice of a motel that we had just driven by or the Wakefield Inn. My husband and I called the Wakefield Inn and we found that it was a treasure! The owners not only came to pick us up, but helped get my car farther off the road so that no one would hit it. When we got to the inn they called the police to let them know that it was not an abandoned vehicle. We sat in the living room with the owners for a long time just chatting, and they brought out some food for us to snack on. When my husband and I went up to our room, we showered in a bathroom down the hall that had a beautiful cast iron tub in it. I must have had the best night sleep ever in their very cozy bed! In the morning we ate a great breakfast and although the owners tried to shoo their daughter away from us so that we wouldn't be bothered, we found her to be delightful and quite entertaining! I understand that this may bother some guests but I work at a school during the winters and love children! I was able to walk around this beautiful inn after breakfast and found it very charming! The owners then brought us to where our car was towed and stuck around to ensure that we did not have any issues. I don't know how much more accommodating an inn keeper can get! I myself manage a B&B on Block Island during the summers and I understand how tiring a job like this can be. Instead of complaining or being rude this family was as gracious as can be to accommodate us, and we will be forever grateful! I would recommend this B&B to all!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We went there through a living social deal in October 2011. We were let in by a tall lady whose name we shall never know,because the first thing she said was " sign in the book and pay for your room". There was no hi , introductions or allowing us to put down our bags. We had been to so many nice inns before, this came as a shocker. Of anything else the extreme unfriendiness and her attitude of doing us a big favor by letting us in the inn, left a sour taste. With this attitude maybe she should not be in the service industry. We had a tiny room with a weird closet bathroom. Part of the package was a massage which was the only good thing. The cooking lesson was average and so was the food. Overall an uncomfortable and awkward experience!

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank naren2680
New York
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

Whoever designed the website deserves a medal ( from the owners prospective). A punch on the nose( from my prospective) it looked so good, unfortunately, it wasn't The Inn is tired, dated and in need of a redo, the owner calls herself a Chef, honestly that's surprising . Breakfast on both mornings wasn't good the first morning she served Quiche, which wasn't cooked properly on the bottom, raw dough is not very pleasant, accompanyed by greasy bacon , applesauce as a fruit and a doughy muffin. The following morning she served pancakes, doughy, mushy and sweet with a greasy sausage . Store bought hard cake and tasteless fruit. Both mornings bottled juice, and week coffee . We had the best room offered , which is situated right by the dining room, with a small flat screen TV in the corner of the room not easily seen from the king size bed I think very overpriced for $200 a night.

Stayed September 2012
2 Thank emjaytx
New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here this week for his birthday. The gorgeous 200 year old house is just beautiful. It is up on a hill with a lovely view in a historic part of town. The gardens are very well kept up and beautiful. Our stay was so relaxing and peaceful. Janel was very welcoming and left us in peace, which is what we wanted. The soaps are to die for - a lavender lemon grass type scent and the bedding is super comfortable. There were TVs in all the rooms. Not that we used ours! I can only hope we'll be back.

Room Tip: We looked at all the different rooms when we were there and the one downstairs looked really nice...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmmaisinNZ
massachusetts
Reviewed 25 March 2012 via mobile

Went for week-end with friends. Nice time but a rather average B & B. My room had the bathroom in a closet. Perhaps It would have been worth the price with a Groupon!

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank pepperknits
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed here with my fiancee for a little winter R&R. We had bought a Living Social voucher that included a cooking class, which was fun and enlightening, and massages. The food was amazing and the staff were really friendly and helpful. I can't stop thinking about the homemade cookies that were at our disposal.

Room Tip: Frost room is gorgeous, but the bathroom is a bit small. Owner mentioned that's next on the agen...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our children gave us a Groupon voucher to the Wakefield Inn, and what a wonderful B and B it is! Our room was very cozy and comfortable; the mattress and bed linens top notch. Janel's gourmet breakfast also was 5 star quality. We can't wait to go back in the summer when we can sit out in the back yard and enjoy the patio listening to the birds and have a gourmet dinner as well. The location was the only drawback to our experience because their is only one town, Wolfeboro, that is within 1/2 hour away.

Room Tip: The Frost room on the second floor was small but very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornville
The Wolfeboro Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
Belknap Point Inn
Belknap Point Inn
#3 of 6 in Gilford

Been to The Wakefield Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!