“Great Place!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Sanbornville B&B and Inns
Stephenville, Canada
“Great Place!!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was recently a guest at the Wakefield Inn and absolutely loved the place. I'm from a very small town where everyone knows each other, so I'm pretty used to dealing with friendly people. Well, let me tell you, the Wakefield Inn did not disappoint. Everyone there was great to deal with, and the place is clean, well managed, and quintessentially New England.

There's also an awesome restaurant that serves dinner on weekends (with live music on Thursdays). I recommend the prime rib, and the crab cakes are great too!!

I have to be back at the end of the summer and I'll definitely be stopping at the Wakefield Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tracy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New England
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have been a guest of the Wakefield Inn on at least three occasions, and each time have been impressed with the caliber of the service, the friendliness of the staff, and the authenticity of the New England experience.

The restaurant, which serves dinner on Thursday through Saturday, and has a Sunday breakfast buffet, is great! Everything is home made, and better still, it is very reasonably priced.

This is a family run operation which, in these days of chain hotels/restaurants, is nice to see. I hope to go back soon.

P.S.-- I was going to get around to writing this review one of these days anyway, but what prompted me to do so earlier than later was the unkind, and completely inaccurate review left by Kathleen L.

If you we're unfortunate enough to be a guest at the Inn when "Ms. L." was there, you would have witnessed a temper tantrum the likes of which most people have not seen since their kids were three or four years old. Because there were no televisions in the rooms (yea!!), Ms. L. changed her mind about staying at the Inn and demanded that the Innkeeper return her money. Well, for those of you that have ever stayed in a small family-run B&B, you know that they usually have published policies to protect themselves from last minute cancellations, and the Wakefield Inn is no exception (theirs is 14 days, and it is very clearly set forth when you make the reservation). The Innkeeper, politely but firmly, reminded her of the Inn's policy. The reaction from Ms. L. was, to anyone unfortunate enough to witness it, distasteful to say the least. She told the Innkeeper that, unless she received an immediate refund, she would write multiple nasty reviews about the place even though, as her own review demonstrates, she never even stayed there. All I can say is, "Shame on you, Ms. L.!!" BTW, I also note that this is Ms. L.'s one and only review, a sure sign of someone with a grudge, NOT a legitimate Tripadvisor!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MorganFan
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The Wakefield Inn is exactly what you expect when staying at a New England Inn. Authentic New England Atmosphere. The rooms are decorated with antiques, quilts, there are fireplaces in some rooms. It is very comfortable and clean; reasonably priced, the breakfast was excellent and the host was very friendly and accommodating. I understand the Inn is under new management so I recommend you take this into account when reading some of the previous reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jerry O
North Attleborough
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We used to stay here when Lou and Harry owned it (last name escapes me) and really enjoyed their company and our stays. I subsequently stayed there for numerous quilting weekends with other quilters - taught by Lou. Was very sorry that they decided to finally retire and sold to Janel. Never did stay there during her ownership and i see that the Nicastro family now own it and have changed it to the Wakefield Inn and Restaurant. It appears that the decor has been spruced up and the restaurant menu looks pretty darn good. I look forward to giving them a try!
this review app made me pick a travel date and didn't give me what i wanted to please ignore that piece.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen S
Reviewed 14 October 2012

After reading the mixed reviews of this place online I would like to share my own experience since we did not initially book a room at this inn but stayed there for one night a few years back on our way up to intervale. While traveling from Connecticut to New Hampshire the snow storm that we were traveling in was getting worse. I ended up getting stuck on the side of the road on a patch of ice. I called my father, and he went online to locate a hotel close by. There was a choice of a motel that we had just driven by or the Wakefield Inn. My husband and I called the Wakefield Inn and we found that it was a treasure! The owners not only came to pick us up, but helped get my car farther off the road so that no one would hit it. When we got to the inn they called the police to let them know that it was not an abandoned vehicle. We sat in the living room with the owners for a long time just chatting, and they brought out some food for us to snack on. When my husband and I went up to our room, we showered in a bathroom down the hall that had a beautiful cast iron tub in it. I must have had the best night sleep ever in their very cozy bed! In the morning we ate a great breakfast and although the owners tried to shoo their daughter away from us so that we wouldn't be bothered, we found her to be delightful and quite entertaining! I understand that this may bother some guests but I work at a school during the winters and love children! I was able to walk around this beautiful inn after breakfast and found it very charming! The owners then brought us to where our car was towed and stuck around to ensure that we did not have any issues. I don't know how much more accommodating an inn keeper can get! I myself manage a B&B on Block Island during the summers and I understand how tiring a job like this can be. Instead of complaining or being rude this family was as gracious as can be to accommodate us, and we will be forever grateful! I would recommend this B&B to all!

• Stayed October 2012
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We went there through a living social deal in October 2011. We were let in by a tall lady whose name we shall never know,because the first thing she said was " sign in the book and pay for your room". There was no hi , introductions or allowing us to put down our bags. We had been to so many nice inns before, this came as a shocker. Of anything else the extreme unfriendiness and her attitude of doing us a big favor by letting us in the inn, left a sour taste. With this attitude maybe she should not be in the service industry. We had a tiny room with a weird closet bathroom. Part of the package was a massage which was the only good thing. The cooking lesson was average and so was the food. Overall an uncomfortable and awkward experience!

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank naren2680
New York
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

Whoever designed the website deserves a medal ( from the owners prospective). A punch on the nose( from my prospective) it looked so good, unfortunately, it wasn't The Inn is tired, dated and in need of a redo, the owner calls herself a Chef, honestly that's surprising . Breakfast on both mornings wasn't good the first morning she served Quiche, which wasn't cooked properly on the bottom, raw dough is not very pleasant, accompanyed by greasy bacon , applesauce as a fruit and a doughy muffin. The following morning she served pancakes, doughy, mushy and sweet with a greasy sausage . Store bought hard cake and tasteless fruit. Both mornings bottled juice, and week coffee . We had the best room offered , which is situated right by the dining room, with a small flat screen TV in the corner of the room not easily seen from the king size bed I think very overpriced for $200 a night.

Stayed September 2012
2 Thank emjaytx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornville
The Wolfeboro Inn
The Windrifter Resort
#6 of 7 in Wolfeboro
The Lake House at Ferry Point
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to The Wakefield Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!