“Good Basic Seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Ate here on a Sunday afternoon just before Summer season. Ordering is a little confusing to the first timer: you order any fried food at a window outdoors. There's a separate counter inside to order steamers, and another to order boiled lobster (but you can order fried food where you order the lobster). After we figured this out, things went smoothly. We had steamers while waiting for our lobsters. Steamers were fresh and hot, as were the broth and butter. Great, large fried oysters with very clean tasting batter. The lobsters were cracked, making it easy to remove claw and tail meat. Again very fresh and tasty.

Brown's sells soda and iced tea; you bring your own alcohol. There are a large number of picnic tables inside, as well as a few outside on a deck overlooking the river. The staff is friendly and there were plenty of people cleaning off tables as soon as they were vacated. It is not fancy by any means, but it's clean and the food is great! Traffic to the beach makes the commute a little long (I can only imagine what it's like during the summer!), but it's worth it!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you are even close and want to enjoy a casual lobster dinner this is the place. Fill your cooler with your choice of beverage and get ready to dig in. Go inside and stand in line next to the live lobster tank and Chuck will find your dinner weigh it and then boil it to perfection. They cut the claws and tail for easy pickins. Draw cup of butter and get going. Don't know why I bought those onion rings couldn't stop eating that lobster. there is a great big seating are screened in with lots of picnic benches to let the family enjoy the feast. Oh yes, they have fried clams and everything else as well. my wife hates fish and endured my pleasure fore the evening. She had a BLT..........Eat the fish. Mr. Brown was cruising around to sure everybody was happy. His father opened up the place in 1948. Chuck said on a good night they cook about 600 lobsters. Pound and 1/4 for about $22.00.
Cash only. Had to change my shirt when I was finished but enjoyed every bit of it.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Overpriced. Chowders were bland. Lobster bisque was cold. Long wait. Almost everything on menu was fried. Won't go back.

2  Thank RN455
Reviewed 10 June 2014

After seeing a show on this restaurant and a competitor across the road, we tried their competitor a few years ago, and liked it so much we returned there without giving Brown's a chance. I confess I'm a bit partial to the other place. Having said that, there were things I liked about Brown's. For example, I like the big sink area that is available for washing up, located right in the dining room. My lobster was a bit tough and not particularly tasty, and I wondered if it was overlooked, and if the water the lobsters were swimming around in ( which was jam packed with live lobsters) was the reason. After we left, I said to my husband that we should have taken a bite from each other's lobster, to compare. I should say, lobster is my favorite food. I make trips to Maine fairly frequently to satisfy my lobster cravings, and was happy to discover these places in NH to stop at on my way up and back.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The food isn't horrible, but you get little measly portions (particularly if you get a seafood combo platter). The food is expensive so you would think you would get more than what you do. I ended up ordering a pizza from Tripoli's after because I was still hungry after eating here. Totally not worth your time or money (and you wait a long time). If fried seafood is what you like, take a trip to Maine. There are much better places up there, and the service is better and you get a lot more for what you pay. This place may have been better years ago, but it's not worth your time or money. I highly recommend going elsewhere.

1  Thank Kyle B