“Beautiful Hotel and great hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugar Hill
The Victorian on Sunset Hill
Ranked #4 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
Frankfurt, Germany
“Beautiful Hotel and great hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at John's and Nancy's small hotel for two nights. The house is beautiful, the hosts are lovely, the beds comfortable and the breakfast that John prepared for us was amazing...and they have butterfly shaped crackers. It just shows how much they care about the little things that make their hotel special. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

When John and Nancy Bonenfant decided to open a bed and breakfast, they approached the task with the same vigilance that John approaches cooking. Taste (by visiting B&B's) and perfect, taste and perfect.

The result is my idea of the perfect B&B. Some B&B's are in beautiful locations and design an interior that combines comfort and elegance, intermingling the best of today's comforts with the most beautiful elements of days gone by. But they don't necessarily deliver consistently warm service and mouth-watering food. Other B&B's are a little too "granny's attic" for me, but I love the hosts and what they serve up.

The Bonenfants have figured out how to do both. First, they are friendly and beyond eager to please. John doesn't like to set a time for breakfast; he just wants you to have it when you want it. They have a great relationship and they positively beam their friendly perspective on everyone around them.

Our third floor Sunrise room was huge and beautifully appointed, with a to-die-for view of the fall colors below; Sunset Hill sits above often-overlooked Sugar Hill. Franconia Notch is wonderful for its dramatic landscapes but for my money, it's well worth going 10 minutes further to stay in someplace this wonderful, not to mention that you really see the vista of the Franconia area better from up here. Every room in the house, which Nancy and John finished renovating in 2006, is gorgeous. There are no undesirable rooms here. (They have five, three on the third floor and two on the third, all with private bathrooms.)

The food? Oh my! The first day we were served a perfect plate of fresh fruit and yogurt with thinly sliced, very tasty strawberries, topped with sugared slivered almonds. That was just the warm up. John (who started cooking at a restaurant in 9th grade when the chef suddenly quit) made the most perfect eggs benedict I've ever had, and tantalizing grand marnier french toast. The second day was omelets with roasted vegetables and two kinds of homemade bread, and the third day I couldn't stop eating the lemon and blueberry pancakes. He improved on the original Cook's magazine recipe (which features buttermilk and lemon zest) by adding extra lemon juice. And they were cooked perfectly. There are always fresh cookies available, and wine and cheese. You haven't lived until you've had John's coconut and lemon cookies.

Because we were now many pounds heavier, we took full advantage of John and Nancy's knowledge of local trails and sights visiting Crawford Notch (less than a half hour's drive) and Franconia Notch (about 10 minutes). Unfortunately for our waist lines, they also know the best restaurants, which includes Tim-Ber Alley in charming Littleton (10 minutes away).

I can hardly wait to come back.

Room Tip: The third floor sunrise room is huge and has a deck where you can sit outside overlooking the valley...
1 Thank betsysSacramento
Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I have just spent a wonderful weekend at the Victorian Inn at Sunset Hill. We have stayed several times in this area in other nice accommodations, but, of them all, I would have to rate the Victorian Inn at Sunset Hill the highest by far. First of all, its setting is incredibly superior; it is as advertised! No other location in Sugar Hill or its environs provides the encompassing gorgeous view that wraps around the inn. One can take in the view from any room or from the porch that encircles the inn or as one sits at breakfast. We did not break into "The Hills are Alive...," but we could have.
Second, John should receive a culinary award for the food he prepares. Not only is breakfast bountiful, it is an absolute gourmet treat. This truly is a BREAKFAST and bed inn. We have stayed in bed and breakfasts all over New England as well as in other places in the country, and both of us agree we have never had a better tasting breakfast, and I can say we have had some good ones.
Third, both John and Nancy are lovely people who are truly interested in their guests and who go out of their way to assist travelers in any way they can imagine. They will recommend the best places for dining in the evening (you won't need lunch) and give you directions to any sightseeing location you seek. They also have an interest in the history of the large hotels that once populated New Hampshire and now, alas, are mostly gone. The inn has been restored from its frame; everything is beautifully decorated and the inn is immaculately clean. There is ample parking. We are fortunate to live close enough to be able to return easily, but, whether you are from nearby or far off, you will be denying yourself an incredible treat if you do not stay at the Victorian Inn at Sunset Hill. Our only disappointment upon leaving was that the Inn does not offer dinner! We discovered that all of the other places to eat were booked on Friday and Saturday, so it does seem that the area could benefit from another option for evening dining.

coronado, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

In this instance, you don't have to choose! John and Nancy have taken the Bed and Breakfast
experience to a new level. We have loved Sugar Hill for over 30 years, always enjoying the
fall foliage with incredible views of the White Mountains. 30 years ago, it was the Homestead.
The Victorian exceeds anything in the area! The home is immaculate and beautifully furnished.
John and Nancy are wonderful hosts. When we enter a bed and breakfast, we can immediately
tell if the owners are people lovers or if it is just a business. With John and Nancy, they love
meeting people and will grace you with their hospitality and delicious breakfasts and all day
treats! Stay a while - you will return.

Room Tip: We had a front view room of the White Mountains, but all the rooms have lovely views.
Mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Victorian on Sunset Hill a number of times and will continue to return to this heavily place. John and Nancy are gracious hosts who welcome visitors into this magnificent B&B. This is an experience you will remember. The house is absolutely beautiful with views from every window that surpasses anything I have ever experienced. The breakfast is an event! John and Nancy create the most delicious experience and attention to every detail. A top-notch experience!!

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful with gorgeous views. But, two rooms that are a stand-out and quite large are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I recently had the absolute pleasure of staying at The Victorian on Sunset Hill. I was greeted by a very charming host, John. He carried my bag and gave me the grand tour of what turned out to be, by far, one of the most beautiful B&B's I think i've ever seen. The views from my room were breathtaking for sure. John and Nancy gave their recommendations for dinner and off I went. Upon my return, I was greeted with a night cap in the front parlor, very classy. I slept peacefully throughout the night and woke to the smell of fresh brewed coffee. Breakfast was served and consisted of fresh fruit and yogurt, coffee, juice, strata with saugage, peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese and piping hot blueberry scones. I had the most enjoyable conversation with John and Nancy during breakfast and dreaded the thought of leaving. If ever in the white mountains, I highly recommend stopping by the Victorian on Sunset HIll.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Hooksett, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed at The Victorian on Sunset Hill for my granddaughters wedding in August. All I can say is "wow". The views, the Inn and the hosts were all wonderful. I stayed only one night and wished it had been longer. The room was quaint and nicely decorated along with a claw foot tub in the bathroom. John and Nancy had coffee and breakfast ready when I made it downstairs. We had the most delightful conversations over breakfast which, by the way, was out of this world. I would stay at this B&B again and again.............

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Adair Country Inn & Restaurant
Lovett's Inn
Lovett's Inn
#5 of 5 in Franconia

Been to The Victorian on Sunset Hill? Share your experiences!