“Beautiful Garden, Nice Porches, Cold Shower”
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Garden, Nice Porches, Cold Shower”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed at Sugar Hill Inn on a trip from Boston to Montreal. Rented two rooms located in a small cottage overlooking the beautifully planted and manicured grounds. Both rooms were comfortable, tastefully furnished, and included nice touches like iPhone charger/player radios and regular plus expresso coffee appliances.

Two problems however plague this $200 plus a night hotel. The first was that in our cottage when the hot water was being used in one room there was no hot water available in the second. In this price range no one expects to take a cold shower unless he/she really wants to be refreshed. The second problem was the breakfast service. Despite having at least three servers for a ten table or so dining room it was difficult to keep a coffee cup or jam dish refilled. It would really make much more sense to put the coffee service on the table and bring larger portions so guests are not required to constantly ask for refills.

A final note to parents traveling with younger children. The management of Sugar Hill Inn actively discourage families with younger children from staying at the inn. This is unfortunately because the cottages are all equipped with covered porches and comfortable wicker chairs. Parents and grand parents would be able to very comfortably sit and watch over their little ones playing on the lawn or in the pool.

Room Tip: The cottages offer more privacy and are easier to access if you are traveling with heavy luggage.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for electing to stay with us. As always, you have many options and we appreciate your business. I understand that we were a quick pit stop on your way to Canada. I think that if you had the opportunity to dine with us and spend the afternoon relaxing at the pool you would feel very different.

There is no hot water plague. As you can see from the other reviews it has never been a topic of conversation by our guests. I learned from the front desk that just one of your girls had a problem with the hot water. There is a huge commercial tank that serves just your cottage and the cottage next to yours for a total of only 4 rooms and a total of only 7 guests. The cottage next to yours also had a teen girl so I hope that you had a chance to meet them. In our 7 years of ownership this is only the second time we have ever had a hot water issue. As a parent I certainly understand that teen girls can use a lot of water but I don’t think that was the problem. You said simultaneously one room had hot water and one room didn’t. That is physically impossible since the bathrooms are back to back and drawing from the same pipe. To be sure we did test both showers simultaneously and the use of one does not affect the other. As a frequent traveler I know that the controls are a little bit different in every hotel. I think that perhaps your daughter was just turning the water temperature control in the wrong direction.

Breakfast is served in a fine dining atmosphere. We're proud to offer first class service. There is never a shortage of our locally roasted fresh coffee. Cappuccino and a selection of tea are also available. Breakfast includes homemade muffins, fresh fruit and a cooked to order entree. There is an early morning coffee self service in the Tavern for guests looking to run out the door. Our breakfast is leisurely and relaxed and I think that they were in a rush to hit the road.

We do absolutely discourage people from bringing their young children. We are specifically designed to be a romantic retreat for couples. We have four children and it's not meant to be personal.

The inn is just not designed for young children. The inn has big steps, no room for cribs, bears that like to roam the yard, active fireplaces, adult sized furniture, expensive art work, relaxed meals, and no children's menu. I cannot fathom, a romantic bed and breakfast that says, "take a toddler." While older children can enjoy the pool it is primarily an adult pool designed to be relaxing. It creates a disturbance to other couples when people bring young children to inappropriate places.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

What a wonderful place to stay - lovely hosts and the wonderful Katie dog who gave us a warm welcome .
Fabulous accomodation in a beautiful setting with lovely breakfasts and if you get the chance treat yourselves to the delicious four course dinner which was the highlight of our stay in New England. The surrounding area is enchanting especially as there were fields of lupines in flower at the time of our visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Montpinchon, France
Reviewed 17 August 2013

From the moment we were greeted at the door by Karen and Katie (the most adorable dog) to the time we left we felt like we were in heaven! Our room (Richardson Suite) was very well appointed with all those lovely little extra touches - and of course a Nespresso machine for our morning coffee. Breakfasts were wonderful - maybe a little too much food!! and dinner on the first night delicious. Hope to come back at some time to this lovely retreat and have more time to explore the region.

Suffolk County, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

First time here. Nice place. Located near the road so u could here the trucks at night . Breakfast was rushed. The inn keepers & staff were nice. Overall it was Just ok. Don't think this would make my list to revisit

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Joe M
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Joe,

I usually thank guests who write reviews. It takes time and a lot of careful thought to write a good review. We benefit from the feedback and those planning a trip get valuable insight.

However, you did not write that kind of review. You wrote a frivolous review. Taking 2 minutes on your mobile device, pulling scores from the thin air and writing the minimum number of sentences required. You said nothing to support your conclusions. You didn’t even write a single sentence about your room or the inn. The two and only points that you raised were both unlikely. The Wildflower is not anywhere near the road and between 11pm and 7 am the only traffic on our road is an occasional moose. Breakfast is never rushed. You can sit there all morning reading the newspaper and we will keep your coffee cup full.

Writing a review is not all about fun, games and ego. A frivolous review hurts the livelihood of the people who work in hospitality, gives trip planners erroneous information and harms the credibility of the TripAdvisor service. I have request that TripAdvisor remove this review. It is not worthy of the site.

I am not trying to embarrass Joe. I sent him a very nice email after reading this review that he chooses to ignore. I do feel badly that Joe came all the way from Long Island for it to be just “ok” so I seriously studied Joe’s other reviews looking for answers.

I discovered four things. (1) No hospitality property has ever delighted Joe. (2) Joe never talks about quality or attention to detail. (3) Joe instead of enjoying the luxury our Four Course fine dining experience went to the diner one night and a pizzeria the next night. (4) Joe is impressed by oversized portions at cheap prices. Based upon these findings I think that Joe picked the wrong place to stay and that is unfortunate.

We are not for everyone. Our website is very accurate and if only Joe had done his homework he would have seen that we are all about fine dining, stylish rooms, art, beauty, quality and lots of small details.
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay in the Garden room this August. The room was updated and worked fine for our needs. Only a minor complaint; wall is thin and we could actually hear the conversations in the room adjacent at times, but only if we were in the bathroom. Had a nice porch and view of the gardens and pool. Highlight for us was definitely the dinner. Please order the Caesar Salad if you are lucky enough to dine here. Unique presentation - light and delicious. Crème Brulee was also excellent. Their chef is top notch. Breakfast was great too. Owners and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We will miss Katie the dog.

1 Thank Pat R
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
I would like to thank everyone that has taken the time to write us a review. We very carefully read every comment card and review. We are overwhelmed by so many wonder comments. Thank you.
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sugar Hill Inn from August 8, 2013 to August 10, 2013. The "Dream Cottage" was exactly a dream. We arrived to find little chocolates on the nightstand, some gluten free cookies (I have a gluten allergy and made them aware beforehand), and many other things that we could use.

In the bathroom, near the jacuzzi tub, there were some candles with matches that we used at night. The tub was fantastic and had lights on the bottom to create the most romantic atmosphere. The light in the bathroom area had a dimmer switch so you could create your romance with the lighting. There was bath salts, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner and soap. Everything was provided and exquisite. My husband loved the "Nespresso" machine, which was like a Keurig, but with tiny espresso cups (regular and a few decaf ones). Each day, the maid replaced everything that we used, which was very nice.

I wish we would have known there was a microwave in the room, as well as silverware, wine glasses and a corkscrew. This wasn't advertised on their website, but was a pleasant surprise.

The bed was comfortable. The fireplace was nice and could be operated with a remote control. The only thing the bathroom could use was a makeup mirror, maybe attached to the wall near the bathroom vanity. It was a challenge to see close up in the large mirrors behind the vanity.

The shower was fantastic. The water sprayed out on your head, legs and feet. It was luxurious. The sauna was nice. Waking up in the morning was easy because even though there were shades on each window, the sun shone through the windows that didn't have them. It was bright pretty early, which made it easier to get up for the complimentary breakfast that was provided each day (TOTALLY worth getting up).

There was a binder provided in the room with lists of everything nearby, attractions, good restaurants, and shopping. I appreciated that because I wasn't familiar with that area of NH. The books provided in the room were interesting. I found myself taking one of the books out to the porch swing and drinking my tea. I loved reading about all the reviews for the Sugar Hill Inn in the many magazines and books in the room. I read about Val Fortin, who is the gourmet chef for the Inn. He is very well known, with exceptional reviews.

I must talk about our dinner experience there. I have never eaten so well! I have a terrible gluten allergy and the chef accommodated and it didn't affect how anything tasted. Perfect is an understatement. My husband is a lawyer in NH and has eaten at many different well known restaurants all over New England. He is "all about the food" as he always says. We sat in their restaurant and listened to the music in the background, playing on a Bose system of course (only the best for this place)! The music was well thought out, all romantic songs. We were served by this young man who was professional and kind. We ate a 5 course meal that was unlike anything I've ever eaten. Everything the chef made was delicious and I really can't think of any words to describe the enchanting experience we had there. My husband said it was like a symphony of flavor in each course we ate. It was well worth the money to eat there, if you can afford it!!

I was introduced to the very first wine I've ever liked. I explained to the waiter that I like fruity drinks and I wasn't big on any wine. He recommended a local wine and it was fantastic! The cheese they provided in one of the courses was perfect with the wine.

We didn't get to swim in the pool, which we really wanted to. It was raining out and we were too busy. It looked very inviting and private.. The view from the pool was incredible. Everything in this place was carefully thought out and they truly strive on creating the MOST romantic, comfortable, cozy atmosphere you could ever imagine.

The gardens outside were were beautiful. I liked the petunias they had in planters all over the property. It was cheery and very pretty. We will definitely be going back there. This place was worth every penny we spent.

1 Thank Tricia M
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write such a detailed review.
I am sure that others will find it very helpful and interesting.
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary at Sugar Hill Inn's restaurant.

With a price fixed meal, 4 excellent courses, great service, nice atmosphere, we have to give it a 5 star review. You will not go home hungry or wanting.
We kept waiting for a shoe to drop as each course was served, we should not have worried.
We encourage you to experience a wonderful meal and really nice people.

2 Thank Tim M
#2 of 5 in Franconia
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#1 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!