“Conflicting thoughts”

Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have thought quite a while before writing this review, as I have many conflicting thoughts on the inn. In the end, I think it boils down to being a nice place but somewhat overpriced. Read on for my thoughts: The innkeepers and dog were very friendly and helpful. The inn is composed of a main building with lounge and bar, and outlying cabins, or smaller units reached by walking across grass, perhaps 100-150 feet from the main building. Our compact room had very modern furniture (but an uncomfortable sofa) and was nicely decorated with original artwork. There was a nice, thermostatically-controlled gas heater next to the bed. However, the wi-fi came and went, and we had no cell phone reception (not that important for me but would have been helpful considering the wi-fi). The driveway to the cabin was stones and rutted in places, so the car bottomed out. While the location was very pretty and had professional landscaping around the buildings, some plants needed pruning, and even by the main entrance there were weeds that should have been pulled. The inn is well located, only about 45 minutes from Mount Washington, and near towns such as Littleton with many amenities. However, as the owners say, you should not rely on your GPS to find them - you will be on the right road but a few miles from the inn. Perhaps that situation is because they are really closer to Franconia than Sugar Hill. The bathroom is very modern, but the jacuzzi tub is very slippery on the bottom and has no handrails (but the owners may be correcting this problem). The low-flow shower head has plenty of hot water. There is a large very firm bed with lots of soft pillows. There are plenty of art and cooking magazines to read, but no TV in the room we had (others do have it, so research carefully if you want it). The room was very quiet when no one was in the other half of the cabin. It is supplied with plenty of electrical outlets, good lights, soap, and nice towels. There is an outdoor pool which we did not use as it was small and seemed more suited for children. Breakfast is included, and well made, but I was given the wrong breakfast which I had not ordered one day. It was the same as I had had the previous day, and not worth complaining about the mistake, but it was still wrong. We were offered a choice of one time for a dinner reservation, but when we arrived, the dining room was almost empty, and there were only two other couples for dinner the entire time we were there. Our dinner lasted 2 1/4 hours, much longer than expected. The food and service were very good - the chef has won numerous awards nationally, but I am more a meat-and-potatoes man and not a fan of pretty but small portions. The price was also much higher than most restaurants, more on the line of what you would expect to pay in London or New York. We did not stay during what I would consider the high season - no fall colors, not skiing season, just an ordinary time of year. Now, this inn was nice, but I have stayed at quite a few places around the world that cost over $300 a night, and this inn was not in the same category as the others. Sugar Hill Inn would have been a good value at perhaps $200 a night. I would look elsewhere if I were returning to the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lipadad
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

I believe him. He was conflicted but it had nothing to do with price. He did not pay over $300 as he claims. He paid an average rate of $280 per night because it was a weekend in peak season. The inn was completely full. If he had come just a few days sooner he would paid the summer weekday rate of $200 per night. On the same trip they also stayed at the Inn at Shelburne Farms and their fall rates start at $320.

He was conflicted because he saw a wonderful inn but it wasn’t what he was looking for. I am not sure why this couple came to the Sugar Hill Inn. While they acknowledge our stylish rooms, great food, amenities, original art and gardens these do not seem to be things that they care about. The very first line of our home page described the inn as a romantic getaway known for culinary adventure. By his own admission he described himself as a meat and potato man and it doesn’t seem like they were looking for a romantic getaway either. As you can see from the guest’s excellent photograph, the Garden Room is very stylish and unique. It is one of our best sellers. It’s like taking the wrong person to a Red Socks Game or the Metropolitan Opera House.

Since buying the Inn 8 years ago we have worked very hard on making the “Inn Experience” relevant to the next generation of inn goers. We have focused on stylish rooms and have equipped then with items like Nespresso® Espresso machines, Boses Wave Radios®, good art and interesting books. Our bar is stocked with popular micro brews, single malt scotch and our wine list has earned the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence. In many ways we have more in common with boutique hotels then many traditional inns. Too many inns are like Grandma’s house with overpowering flowered wall paper, lacy curtains and too many knickknacks collecting dust. It was obvious that they wanted that old fashion traditional inn. We welcome all guests that are young at heart.

There was clearly a generation gap. The issues that concerned then such as the unpaved driveways and tub handrail are of little importance to most of our guests.

With regards to GPS some work and some don’t, however we are four minutes from the interstate with 3 simple well marked turns. Verizon has excellent cell coverage at the inn. We have a free guest phone that can be used to call anywhere.

It is no secret that our Four Course Dinner takes two hours. That is the beauty of fine dining. To me nothing is better than a leisurely dinner with my wife, enjoying delicious food, great wine and conversation. We love lingering over that last cup of coffee. It’s too bad that some find all that time together to be painful. Open Table has recently rated us as best in New Hampshire. I don’t know when they were last in New York or London but a dinner like ours would be three times the price. Our guests that frequent fine dining restaurants tell us that $63 is very reasonable for a meal of this quality.

Our pool is not for children nor is it a training facility for the Olympics. It’s a place to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the waterfall, the amazing view of Mt Layette and to cool off on a hot day.

We always have a choice of at least two hot entrees for breakfast and they change every day. Our local farm cage free eggs are delicious. Breakfast also includes Fair Trade coffee, tea or cappuccino, fresh baked muffins, a selection of juices, local jams and a fruit course. If you need anything just ask.

While it’s interesting and fun to read the reviews on Trip Advisor, the reality is that less than one half of one percent of our guests will write a review.

The Sugar Hill Inn is not for everyone. We understand that there is a very wide range of taste and preferences. We have created one of the most detailed and transparent websites in the industry. If they had done their homework they would have made a more informed choice and would not feel conflicted about unfairly criticizing a beautiful property.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We did not have the opportunity to stay at this Inn, but found it as a venue for a great dining experience while in the New Hampshire area. The lobby was quaint. The owner, Steve, greeted us and had a plesant conversation with us while he fixed our cocktails. The restaurant was exquisite. The food was delicious and the service was helpful and knowledgeable. A 5 Star dining experience in the middle of rural New Hampshire.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We splashed out for our three nights here and were impressed with the luxurious main building and the friendly welcome from Steve and the gorgeous dog Katie. However the room we had (Wildflower) was too small for three people. For two it would have been perfect, as the bed was very comfortable but the sofa bed was awful. When the sofa bed was open, the room was too cramped to actually move and get to the bathroom.
The other problem was the lighting. With only a couple of lamps near the front door and bed, it was almost impossible to see anything on the other side of the room ie where the wardrobe is and where the only space for the suitcases was. I had to use the light from my iphone to look into my suitcase.
Breakfasts were delicious and even though we didn't eat dinner there, the menu looked amazing.
If there had been only two of us, I would have given it a 5/5 but for what we paid, one person in our party had three uncomfortable nights, which is just not good enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you for your praise “For two perfect…” “…impressed with the luxurious main building and the friendly welcome from Steve and the gorgeous dog Katie.” “…(Wildflower)… For two it would have been perfect, as the bed was very comfortable”… “Breakfasts were delicious and even though we didn't eat dinner there, the menu looked amazing”… “If there had been only two of us, I would have given it a 5/5”.

Our website and marketing materials make in very clear that we are a romantic getaway for couples and known for fine dining. While we do not exclude others evaluating us on any other criteria is highly unfair.

You knew that the 3rd person would be sleeping on a sleep sofa and we tried hard to discourage it. Being a romantic inn our rooms are designed for two. We understand for economic reasons you may not have wanted two rooms. For the price of a room for two you slept 3.

As the result of your feedback we are going to limit all of our rooms to two guests.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I stopped here on our honeymoon road trip to Maine. We stayed in the Moses Aldrich room and loved it! The room was very clean, we were sad to mess anything up! Breakfast was delicious as well. We enjoyed meeting Katie, the dog, who reminded us of our puppies at home. We loved Sugar Hill Inn and hope to be back next year!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in the ``Dream Cottage`` for 2 nights, and it lived up to its billing: an amazing room set away from the main Inn: vaulted beam ceiling, exquisite stone shower, huge king bed, jet tub, fireplace - perfect for an anniversary trip with my honey. A huge thunderstorm one night only added to the ambience: we could sit outside on the porch swing as it started up, and enjoy the sounds by the fireplace after it really started in earnest. Breakfasts were wonderful and gourmet (we need the recipe for the homemade muesli), afternoon cookies yummy, and the Inn`s dog great as well. The dining room isn`t open two nights a week I believe (of course the two nights we were there!) but I`m sure dinner there would have been fabulous as well. It`s fair to say we were thrilled with every aspect of this stay.

Room Tip: I can only comment on the Dream Cottage, but if you`re going to stay here, you gotta go for it! *gri...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David T
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our friends had been here for a wedding and liked it a lot so we decided to give it a try. When we arrived Karen was at the desk to welcome us and show us around. The library is lovely and the tavern is small and comfy. The dining room was decorated very nicely with some traditional table and chairs and some sofas and some had living room type chairs at the tables. All in all it was a lovely place. The rooms are comfortable but quite small which is why I gave the hotel a very good rather than an excellent. The bed was so high I could have used a step stool to climb into it. The room is equipped with a coffee pot and a nespresso pot including the pods. A very nice touch. The whole hotel is very clean and well kept. Steve and Karen, the owners, truly welcome you into their home and do what ever they can to make you comfortable.One day when we wanted to do a a small amount of sight seeing they suggested that we take a short drive and do the Lovers Lane loop. It was lovely and just what we wanted. We were very lucky that the leaves were at their peak and it was spectacular. We drove around and enjoyed the sights and took the ariel tramway up to the top of Cannon mountain which was also wonderful. I think that this would be a wonderful place to curl up in in the winter months with fires going in the wood stoves. I will review the restaurant else where which was wonderful and very first class though I should mention that the rooms come with breakfast which is also first class. Home made muffins and what ever else you could want.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a detailed review. We enjoyed your company and look forward to meeting again.

We have 14 unique rooms. They vary significantly in style, size, features and price. We encourage everyone to study the rooms closely on the web and find the room that is just right for you. An entire page is devoted to every room with very accurate photos. The Rose Room is one of our smaller rooms and is priced accordingly. We have many rooms that are 2, 3 and even 4 time larger. After getting to know this couple, I believe that they would have loved the Bette Davis Room.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife booked this trip last minute via phone with Karen. My wife said Karen was very pleasant and helpful. Karen explained the cost per night and how the stay and dine package works. Karen also booked our dinner reservations. We arrived later in the evening, we met Karen who was working away on the nicely landscaped yard and fall flowers and punkins. The main house is an old farm house and has great character and you get a warm welcoming feeling as soon as you arrive. We entered through the front door and were greeted by Steve. He introduced himself and check inn was FAST!. Steve gave us the tour and the run down of inn. Steve showed us to our room Bickford suite. This suite had main bedroom, and bathroom in separate room. There is flat screen tv with dvd nexpresso coffee maker and water. Overall room was nice. There is library with brochures on the area which was very helpful, books for reading and a small dvd library. There are various magazines and newspapers in the different sitting areas. The main house is pleasantly broken up into small quant sitting areas. The bar area is nice, Steve is a great bartender, my wife loved the chocolate martini's he made. We ate one night in Littleton NH at Baliwicks which I would highly recommend.
We ate the other night at the Inn. Our server was extremely professional and he explained all the courses in detail (sorry I cannot remember his name) The food was brilliantly presented and tasted as good as it looked. Breakfast was from 8-9am on weekdays and 8-930 on weekends. I had omlettes each day my wife had stuffed French toast and pancakes. All meals were great. There are small appetizers put out from 4p-5pm in the bar area as well.
My wife is nudging me to also mention Katie the Inn's requisite dog. She is amazingly friendly and it is amazing that she never enters the dinning area she will escort you to the doorway then sit down and watch but never enter the dinning room funniest thing.

Overall weI would recommend the Inn. We will hope to return and try the dream cottage.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Franconia
Rabbit Hill Inn
Rabbit Hill Inn
#1 of 4 in Saint Johnsbury

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!