Sugar Hill Inn
US$136
US$125
Hillwinds Lodge(Franconia)(Great Value!)
US$97
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge(Franconia)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$173
Parkers Motel(Lincoln)
US$86
TripAdvisor
All reviewschef valwhite mountainsespresso machinenew hampshireculinary experiencecottage roomforest viewdog katiebette davislocal ingredientshill areaporch swingmain buildingcelebrate our anniversaryseparate buildingjacuzzi tubeach morning
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Our daughter and son-in-law had stayed here several years ago, so when we told them we wanted to go to a nice place for a couple of nights somewhere near the White Mountains, they highly recommended the Sugar Hill Inn. From the minute we arrived and Katie the family dog came to our car door to greet us and then led us to the front door, we knew we had chosen the right place. We do not own a dog, and are not what you would call dog lovers, but Katie helped us understand why people are. Steve and Karen were wonderful, and we loved the preserved parts of the 1700's post and beam house, complete with it's out of level floors and New England Early American character. We especially liked the original wide pine floors upstairs, and the original beaded panel walls where preserved. We did not eat dinner there, but the breakfast both days in the beautiful dining room was excellent. It was not a busy time there, and without us asking they offered us a free upgrade to the Richardson Room which we loved. We did look at several of the other rooms while there, and we would have been satisfied with any of them, but the Richardson Room, with gas fireplace, Jacuzzi tub and the library right outside the door was outstanding. Is it a little pricey? Some might think so, but we have always felt that "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten". We felt it was well worth the money. Thanks, Steve and Karen. We have stayed in many B&B's and you rank up there with the best. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank autotrip
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I found the Sugar Hill Inn the fall of 2009. I wanted to surprise my then boyfriend with a weekend away, and we were not disappointed. We are so glad that we stayed there! Since that time we have made this our yearly get away. Including our honeymoon.
All year we look forward to going!

The dining room: Intimate. Even with a other guests dining at the same time you will feel as if you and your guest are the only ones in there.
The food: top notch, high quality food. Your mouth will be glad you ate there, you will not leave disappointed!
The guest rooms: Each time we have chosen to stay in a different room. They all have there own charm. And have yet to be disappointed.

This is a wonderful place to get away and share some quality time with your loved one.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you so much for your yearly visits. We are especially honored that you included us in your honeymoon plans. We enjoyed spending time with you in the Tavern and will look forward to next fall.

Karen and I just got back from a couple of nights in Quebec. We are always looking for new ideas and trends. It was interesting to see that to wine and dine in Quebec with an experience as good as Chef Val’s is twice the price of the Sugar Hill Inn. We so much enjoy that fine dining experience of taking the time to enjoy lively conversation, great wine and delicious food.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Lipadad expressed it well in his/her review. My conflict has much to do also with the price. This is our 4th trip to New England in the Fall and the inns and B & B's here can be such a delight. We have stayed in this sort of accomidation all over the country for many, many years so I feel we have a good perspective. Our first reaction when we arrived and were shown our room was that we both wanted to cancel the reservation and go to Adair Country Inn. If I understand correctly, there are some rooms that have been re-decorated but ours wasn't. It looked like what I think the inn should actually BE: a summer inn where families can go to frolic in the pool, play on the lawn, sit on the porches, play croquet or ping pong ( which or course aren't provided), have cookies in the afternoon ( which are made by Karen and are fabulous), drink wine, eat good meals together and just relax in a beautiful setting. The landscaping looked like it needed fussing over, nothing special. Most places really decorate for Fall; this one didn't.
I love the cottage idea and this one has it, but ours was cheaply furnished like a cabin in the 50's. The first night the smoke alarm went off and wouldn't stop so Steve had to come and fix it. His response was that "with 14 rooms, something like this always happens." The thing is......It DOESN'T! I have never had something like that happen in all my travels. We had to do with a space heater, no fireplace and then in the morning the power was off for hours. We couldn't use our laptop, nor did the phone work, so by then we were ready to leave.
There is so little attention to the details that make a place special. There was no landing from our room to the car. Even a private home owner would have done something nicer with the entry. There was an espresso machine, but no coffee provided for our coffee maker ( that was later amended.) The servers ( except for one) in the dining room seemed inappropriate. They were made to wear old, navy blue frayed polo shirts and black pants, neither of which flattered any of their figures. I felt sorry for them. The restaurant is billed to be a good one, which it is, but the whole scene is definitely not top notch. Food was fine and Steve's breakfasts are very good. If all this had come at a reasonable price, we would have walked away happier. We decided to stay because it was just too complicated to find another accomidation.
In reading the reviews, I see that Steve keeps defending that this is a "romantic hideaway" and not for older or non-romantic couples. If that is his concept, than he should travel to such "romantic" places and get a better feel for what they offer. Go to Rabbit Hill or any of the other well known ones. In doing so, he also limits his guests and I think that is foolish. The problem is that the place in no way merits such a high cost. It was the most we paid for any of our accomidations on the trip ( or in any trip in the past) and by far the least desirable.
I know that Steve reads all these reviews like a hawk and defends them all. Steve, the idea, is to learn from any critiques, not to just sit there batting them away. They are meant to be helpful. You will now go through all my other reviews, trying to prove that I am negative, or have bad taste, or eat at cheap restaurants, etc. but you won't find that. Sorry. Spend your time fixing up the place and responding instead of defending. For your defensiveness alone, I would never recommend this to anyone.

2  Thank marjorie v
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

You are right I read these reviews like a hawk. While everyone is entitled to an opinion I will correct misleading statements. I am always glad to receive intelligent feedback and I learn from every review. I am not surprised at all that you agree with the folks from Pa. You had a lot in common and if you had both been here at the same time you would have become instant friends. We are sorry that we are not better at accommodating folk in the 70s and 80s. I don’t mean to be disrespectful but this age group has needs and preferences that are different from those of our other guests. We went the extra mile to give as much TLC as possible. We are a farm house with steps in unexpected places and rustic grounds and I worry when people who stay here have mobility issues. Based upon our excellent trip advisor scores, other review sites and comment cards most guest strongly disagree with you and the couple from Pa.

Your complaint about price is disingenuous on two points. You were not without power at all. You tripped one circuit breaker but the others were still working. It was repaired within a minute of being notified and for your inconvenience you received a free night. Your husband was thrilled with the deal. Price is the one fact that every knows before coming. Your room was exactly as picture on the internet and the hospitality was also as describe. If you ignored the information available to you and picked a place that was not to your liking it is your fault not ours. We are who we say we are.

At one point you had expressed interest in checking out early. Normally according to our cancellation policy you would be responsible for the entire stay. Seeing that you were having trouble getting acclimated to the inn we told you we would not hold you responsible if you wished to check out early. Your second day with us went very smoothly and you decided not to leave early. At checkout your husband said that you had a good stay, everything was fine and the free night more than resolved the issue from the first night.

In your review you name dropped a couple of inns. I know their owners, have seen all of their rooms and have dined in their restaurants. We are their equals in every way although our style is very different. Some guests prefer them and many prefer us. A traveler that does there homework will select the property that best meet their own needs and desires.

In your review you implied that I should get out more and learn what a romantic inn really looks like. It turns out that I have written more hotel reviews then you. I encourage you to read them. My number one favorite romantic hotel is in the hill town of Ravello Italy high above the Amalfi Coast.

So let’s talk about the room, since it had been renovated just two years ago, you are either trying to mislead or the design just eluted you. The Perennial is a country cottage with timeless qualities. The room has beautiful hard wood floors. The French Country wardrobe was custom built for us in Quebec. The beautiful original painting by a local artist and the amazing views of Mt Layette makes a compelling statement. The bathroom is tiled in natural stone travertine and has a marble top farm house sink. The two custom upholstered chairs are less than two months old. The room include coffee, tea, espresso, robes, flat screen TV, chocolates, luxurious high thread count sheets, lots of plush towels, premium shampoo, shower gel, lotion and conditioner, clock radio with iphone charger, mini fridge, fireplace, ironing board, iron, pen, note pad, selection of magazines and bottled water. Is that what you meant by lacking details?

I think that you would have enjoyed the traditional luxury and main floor location of the Richardson suite but you required a room with twin beds. Currently Perennial can be set up as a twin or king room. In the near future we will be replacing the bed and we no long be offering any rooms with twin beds.

We do not micro-manage the attire of our Breakfast Servers/Housekeepers. They are given the Land’s End business outfitters catalog (I think everything in their catalog is quite presentable) and they select what is going to offer them the most comfort in doing their job. They wear a variety of options, all displaying the Sugar Hill logo, which are seasonally appropriate. Nothing was old or frayed. New outfits are purchase at the beginning of every season. Commenting on the figures of our servers is highly inappropriate and offensive. Here again I am not sure what you were looking for. Did you want them to be wearing Little House on the Prairie dresses?

Your room has Wi-Fi so I am not sure what the issue was with your laptop. If you needed technical help we would have been glad to assist.

Our grounds in the fall our decorated with lots of mums, pumpkins and our famous scarecrow. I am not really sure what else you were looking for.

The concept is clear to us and most of our guest would not be happy with your vision of the perfect inn.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I spent two gorgeous nights at the Sugar Hill Inn after booking on the strength of Trip Advisor posts. Having travelled from a hectic 10 days in New York our stay was a perfect contrast and one we greatly enjoyed. Karen welcomed us to the Inn with the daily, yummy afternoon tea and later Steve provided his welcome from behind the bar with great cocktails. We were fortunate to have booked dinner on our first night and the meal was superb. Val is a fabulous chef and deserves all the praise he receives. The other member of the team also needs a mention, the lovely canine Katie who added a homely feel to the Inn.
Our room was comfortable and the library provided a further great room to relax in - and play Scrabble! Breakfasts on both mornings, prepared by Steve, were lovely and certainly set us up well for exploring the wonderful White Mountains.
Shame about the distance from Australia as we would like to make this an annual place to visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you so much for traveling all the way from Australia. We enjoyed your company.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

From the time you arrive you have a wonderful welcome and it does not end till you leave - and then some! ( thanks, they were fabulous!). Rooms are gorgeous with the right attention to detail - even down to the tasteful selection of C.D's made available in your room to the candles by the spa bath. Nothing is too much trouble for the attentive staff and owners. Great wine selection and the food was amazing. Chefs selection of soup and beet salad must have a special mention. Picture postcard perfect!

1  Thank 85JonathanP