“Great couples getaway”

Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and came here for the second half of our trip. 3 nights in the peckett room were well worth it! Most comfortable bed, espresso and coffee maker in our room. Amazing tub. The shower was a Tad dissipointing compared to the rest of the touches the room held, as it seemed to be a one person and VERY SMALL. We had the pleasure of having couches for lounging and watching some of our favorite movies. We had a private deck and much privacy in this room.
We surly enjoyed our stay here.
Location is nice, in town, but on a back road for quite privacy.
I would reccomend this to any couples looking to get Away and have a great CENTRAL location to hiking, camping, beaches, but also restaurants and dining.

• Stayed: July 2014
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you so much for spending your honeymoon with us. The two love seats, whirlpool tub for two and private deck makes the Peckett Suite an absolute delight. On your next trip, if you want a shower for two stay in Dream. It is not only huge but has 9 shower heads. Also for maximum enjoyment of the Sugar Hill Inn experience we recommend dining at least one night

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My 12 yr old son & I loved every minute of our stay so much that we added on an extra night! The Nickerson suite is a gem, Chef Val's creations delicious, and the nicest inn keepers we know keep their little gem in sweet Franconia in tip top shape! From the music, fresh flowers from the garden, home baked cookies, the tranquil pool, a game of chess over a Cosmo or glass of wine from Steve's bar why else wouldn't you stay at Sugar Hill Inn? We absolutely think it's superb!!! We will return! The Fitz-Gelston family

• Stayed: June 2014
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

This family has been staying with us for years so we made an exception to our new 14 and older policy. When guests come back year after year it is like visiting with old friends.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My partner and I booked a room at Sugar Hill the old fashioned way. We looked up the phone number in the New England-Lonely Planet Guide and called the Inn. Lonely Planet highly recommended Sugar Hill Inn so we gave it a go. Unfortunately, we weren't told that the tavern and restaurant were closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and were very disappointed. I called the Inn keepers within 20 minutes of "checking in" and informed them we would not be staying overnight and why. I was told that it was clearly detailed on their website about the Tuesday and Wednesday closure and that it was my problem that I hadn't looked the Inn up on-line, or asked about dining options when I called to book the hotel. (We had been in rural Maine without internet service). I was treated to defensive scolding on the phone while I tried to soothe the inn keeper and express what a lovely place she has but that it didn't meet our needs. The full cost of our non-stay was placed on my credit card: $198.00USD and I was treated without any consideration or shared responsibility of the misunderstanding. I would have been happy if any kind of a gesture had been made to reimburse us for part of our fee or an offer of a gift certificate off a future stay but instead I was met with rudeness over the phone and an email telling me that I didn't stay at the Inn because of the weather (not the tavern/restaurant reason which I identified) which the innkeepers couldn't be held responsible for. The weather, NH, the Inn are not the reasons for this review, this is about inhospitable Innkeepers. I was left feeling embarrassed after the exchanged communication and not as if an honest mistake or misunderstanding occurred.

5  Thank justjaia
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

This is a malicious review written with the goal of causing financial harm and destroying the Sugar Hill Inn’s nearly perfect record on TripAdvisor. We are being bullied by a guest that is clearly in the wrong. We have only two choices; Pay the ransom or be slandered. Unfortunately TripAdvisor is allowing a few unprincipled individuals to corrupt the system.

They booked a day ahead over the phone. They were told that the Inn has a 14 day cancellation policy and therefore the one night stay would be non-cancelable and charged now to their credit card.

Any adult knows that after checking into a hotel, getting refreshed and using the bathroom one can’t just checkout on a whim and expect a refund. Once a guest uses the bathroom the room is not rent-able until the next day when it is cleaned again by housekeeping. It cost money to clean a room.

Whether it was because our restaurant is closed on Tuesdays, the rainy weather or they were in a rush to visit another destination is immaterial. As you can see from the review the room was not an issue. In truth the restaurant was also not the issue. There are over 20 restaurants in the area and a couple less than a minute down the road. If they were serious about dining at the Sugar Hill Inn they would have made a reservation. They did not arrive until after 7pm, so even if the restaurant was open the expectation that a table would be available is unreasonable.

In spite of their claim that they did not have internet they walked in with the email confirmation that we had sent them. The confirmation clearly states our cancellation policy, that the restaurant is not open on Tuesdays and dinner reservations are necessary.

We were never rude and did nothing to embarrass the women. If she was embarrassed it was due to her own unreasonable behavior and her partner’s behavior. Our receptionist found the man’s behavior very threatening. They were lucky that she did not call the police.

It is unreasonable to agree to a cancellation policy and then complain about it. Deposits are necessary to protect us from frivolous reservations.

Over the years guests have had illness in the family or other serious issues and we have always understood. However, here we were dealing with a frivolous whim.

It is unfortunate as innkeepers that we can’t enforce a very reasonable policy without the risk of having our TripAdvisor standing damaged. I am sure that some other innkeepers would have paid the ransom just to protect their reputation. Maybe next time we should just pay up but that feels so wrong.

TripAdvisor is a wonderful tool. I use it all the time. People like this that use the system for personal gain should be banned from the site.

This review clearly violates TripAdvisor’s rules about blackmail and we have requested that it be removed.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed one night at Sugar Hill Inn in the Bette Davis room. The accommodations were attractive, very clean, and welcoming, with a coffee maker and nespresso machine in the room. We opted to experience their fixed price 4 course dinner and enjoyed the dining experience and the food very much. I even made my husband return to our room for my camera so I could take pictures of the different courses! All the staff were friendly and helpful, and Katie, the four-legged greeter was a favorite of ours. Although the room and the dinner were pricier than we normally would spend, both were well worth it. Breakfast, included in the room fee, was also a real treat! We both heartily recommend this Inn!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you. Great photography.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just returned from 2 nights at this lovely small inn....Rooms have great character and updated amenities..Very Comfortable beds, nice linens...all the lovely touches also...bathrobes, slippers, excellent bathroom amenities...
Lovely quiet inn in a beautiful setting...The food was excellent, both breakfast and dinner. Nice wine list .
Not a place to go if you are looking for exciting nightlife....But an excellent dinner and after dinner conversation ...YES....
"Katie" the Inn dog is just lovely....We look forward to going back very soon....

Room Tip: Check the website... the descriptions and pics. are excellent....